+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Coughlin: Defense is a concern

All-Pro
    How do they fix it though? It seems like they are happy just making excuses. The injuries don't help matters any, but they can't rely on getting any better in that department this week either. That 49ers OL bullies teams. They way they looked yesterday against the Browns this DL might be in for a long hard day. I hope Eli and the offense can score 80 next week.

I just want to see pressure. They have to change their technique, because what they are doing right now isn't working, and it hasn't been working.
    I thought we had something special!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    How do they fix it though? It seems like they are happy just making excuses. The injuries don't help matters any, but they can't rely on getting any better in that department this week either. That 49ers OL bullies teams. They way they looked yesterday against the Browns this DL might be in for a long hard day. I hope Eli and the offense can score 80 next week.
    Back in day, ham used to use for no good, but maybe Giants not fulfill duty to see. It make fix

If he is still with us it might be time to turn Ojomo loose on a few plays

Veteran
    Last time Coughlin spoke out publically about the lack of QB pressure and the overall defensive play, Fewell woke up and got more creative and more aggressive. Expect it to happen again starting this Sunday.
    Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Back in day, ham used to use for no good, but maybe Giants not fulfill duty to see. It make fix
    My new favorite poster.

Tuck, Osi, and Kiwanuka aren't generating any pressure, so JPP gets doubled. Playing without KP, Canty, Bernard, and Hosley doesn't help.

I would love to see Ojomo come in on passing downs to see if he can generate any pressure. Or Fewell needs to bring more blitzes. They'll need to get some turnovers against SF because the offense probably won't score more than 24 against SF.

The question is if it's effort scheme or talent. Hard to tell right now. I guess all three can be fixed (talent can get better if people get healthy). As funny as it sounds, the best option might be that it's effort. The scheme isn't going to change and not everyone is going to be healthy at once. Maybe as the games get bigger the effort will be greater. Of course, if the effort is high, then we could be in trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    Well, I'm glad he's concerned. So am I. What say we fix it?
    ​Nah, I like living on the edge!

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Giantterp View Post
    The question is if it's effort scheme or talent. Hard to tell right now. I guess all three can be fixed (talent can get better if people get healthy). As funny as it sounds, the best option might be that it's effort. The scheme isn't going to change and not everyone is going to be healthy at once. Maybe as the games get bigger the effort will be greater. Of course, if the effort is high, then we could be in trouble...
    I agree, it is likely a combination of effort, scheme and talent. As you said, talent can improve long term as injured players return, but the scheme and effort can and should be fixed immediately. Injuries are certainly a big part of the problem, but should not be an excuse to write off half the season while players get healthy.

Scheme is clearly an issue, they are not playing the same way they did at the end of last season. I think they blitzed a total of twice yesterday? I attribute some of the lackluster play to a zone/reactionary defensive scheme rather than attacking the ball. I am no defensive guru, but I seem to remember that being an issue last year until they made adjustments later in the season.

+ Reply to Thread