+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: David Wilson "very close" To Larger Role

Quote Originally Posted by repeatchamps View Post
    While he was not the great pass protection guy he is now early in his career, from what I can tell and recall back then Bradshaw was still lightyears ahead of where Wilson is in that department presently.

That said if the O-line can catch the 49ers napping a few times this week, Wilson could make a game changing play this week in the run game or maybe this is the week he breaks a big one for a TD on a kickoff.
    Just remember, too, that AB didn't start getting a larger role in the offense until the very end of his rookie season.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    I was just going to say this Plax2theMAX. But I recall seeing him make an impact a bit sooner. Bradshaw seemed to be become more of a contributer just past mid-season, from what I recall. I hope the same holds true for Wilson, because I see this kid having WAY more big play making ability than Bradshaw. Not knocking AB in the least, thats just how much up-side I see Wilson having.

After the limited glimpses we've had of Wilson, does anyone still long for Doug Martin?

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN2K9 View Post
    Bradshaw wasn't an excellent pass blocker his first 2 years in the league but he saw plenty of opportunities in the backfield.
    In Bradshaw's rookie year, this was only true after Ward broke his leg...

Quote Originally Posted by GMAN2K9 View Post
    Bradshaw wasn't an excellent pass blocker his first 2 years in the league but he saw plenty of opportunities in the backfield.
    Bradshaw was kind of forced into action his rookie year, that year Ward broke his leg and our only other option was Droughns

Veteran
    Theres a difference between a player not being a good blocker or RB and a player who hasnt been given the opportunity to showcase if he is or not. Wilson took a run to the house (like he did during preseason) and that still didnt warrant him to receive another carry after it. It has to be frustrating and disheartening for the premise to be put in place that his lack of opportunities stems from a fumble in game 1 and that he needed to work into good graces. Meanwhile the #1 RB prior to this game was performing horribly all season and then starts the game off with a fumble yet Coughlin goes right back to him. It's almost like the rules don't apply to everyone and even though Wilson was tearing it up with the kick returns he wasnt given any other opportunities due to one simple mistake in his first game.

It's this kind of over the top conservative philosophy with rookies that makes me think that Coughlin wouldnt even be playing a rookie Adrian Peterson if we had him. If you're going to make a huge stink over the fumble like he did you need to apply that fairly to others especially those who were not performing up to the standards. It's funny though, TC sticks with the guy who fumbles and that guy gets a 200 yard game. Makes you wonder what Wilson couldve done had he been stuck with and not bailed out on.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
    until the kid demonstrates that he knows all the protections, he will not be lined up in the backfield for more than a few plays per game. That's just the way it is.
    This!!! Just watche the Rams vs Cards game last week on NFL network...the rams backs suck at pass blocking, TC knows what they are doing.

well this is now a 3 RB league, so you got the starter with a bulging disc in his neck and ankles with more hardware than tissue and bone, a backup RB with a concussion and a 4th string RB that hasn't shown much

so yeah, 1st round pick Wilson, you better believe he will have a larger role once he can be 80% trusted with ball security and blitz pickup

and that's why you need 3 good RBs ... it's a brutal position
    Last edited by GMan-67; 10-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    Apologize to Melo 5

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I don't expect him to play much more this week than he did last week. The 49ers defense is very good and there is no way they are not going to protect Eli.
    A lot will depend on Brown's situation
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    Theres a difference between a player not being a good blocker or RB and a player who hasnt been given the opportunity to showcase if he is or not. Wilson took a run to the house (like he did during preseason) and that still didnt warrant him to receive another carry after it. It has to be frustrating and disheartening for the premise to be put in place that his lack of opportunities stems from a fumble in game 1 and that he needed to work into good graces. Meanwhile the #1 RB prior to this game was performing horribly all season and then starts the game off with a fumble yet Coughlin goes right back to him. It's almost like the rules don't apply to everyone and even though Wilson was tearing it up with the kick returns he wasnt given any other opportunities due to one simple mistake in his first game.

It's this kind of over the top conservative philosophy with rookies that makes me think that Coughlin wouldnt even be playing a rookie Adrian Peterson if we had him. If you're going to make a huge stink over the fumble like he did you need to apply that fairly to others especially those who were not performing up to the standards. It's funny though, TC sticks with the guy who fumbles and that guy gets a 200 yard game. Makes you wonder what Wilson couldve done had he been stuck with and not bailed out on.
    Coughlin has played, and even started, many rookies in his time as Giants head coach:

- Gibril Wilson (starter)
    - Chris Snee (starter)
    - Eli Manning (starter)
    - Brandon Jacobs (significant role)
    - Ahmad Bradshaw (significant role)
    - Aaron Ross (significant role)
    - Kevin Boss (significant role, starter after Shockey got hurt)
    - Steve Smith (significant role)
    - Kenny Philips (starter)

It's all about whether they are ready to play or not. Wilson is a great athlete...but is he actually ready to take a bigger load? The coaches see more than we do.

+ Reply to Thread