+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: David Wilson "very close" To Larger Role

Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    Cmon, don't go there with the whole the coaches see the player more than we do therefor we have no right to question any judgement kind of crap. What were those coaches seeing in practices and meeting rooms that were keeping Victor Cruz from getting a bigger role till injury forced him finally into the lineup? If you're going to fall back on that you gotta be prepared that sometimes they just flat out don't make the right judgement calls and they didnt with Cruz in that regard, or hey even JPP took longer than I liked for him to get a significant role on the defense.

The point of my previous post was that there were a different set of rules applied and that isnt a great message to send a player and could explain why some of the veterans tend to get soft here. Basically the way I see it right now is if you're a rookie or younger player you have to go to ridiculous levels to prove yourself and live up to unrealistic demands of mistake free football. However, once you've firmly entrenched yourself as a starter those rules don't apply. Fumbling, lack of effort, and just downright stinking don't seem to matter once you've already gotten the position. It could explain why Osi, Tuck, Diehl, and Bradshaw up until yesterdays game have flat out stunk this season. If Tom is going to be his legendary hardass self when it comes to certain things then he needs to apply that same standard to the whole team and not just play favorites with the vets.

Other teams arent afraid to lean heavily on their rookies. Look at the browns using Richardson as basically their only playmaker. Something tells me that if he were a Giant he'd be relegated to a similar role that Wilson has as we'd be debating on whether he has the knowledge of the plays or blocking ability to be out there over Bradshaw. At some point in time you gotta just see what you have. Bradshaw had 30 carries last game for his 200 yards, was there really a need for him to have so many carries and us not get more of a look at Wilson or even Scott (if he was even dressed). The game was essentially over and we were still feeding Bradshaw carries, why not get a look especially after Wilson showed what he could do with his tiny amount of carries. It's just a source of frustration as a fan because we can all see the talent out of Wilson and know he can't utilize it when he isnt in the game, let the kid play!

What rules are you talking about? TC has always had the "if you fumble the ball you are in the dog hose" rule.

Victor Cruz benefited fror Steve Smith's injury but he was also a unique case we don't often see.

Wilson may benefit from Andre Brown's injury if he can't play Sunday
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-09-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[QUOTE=GiantRoc;525286]
    Quote Originally Posted by yoeddy View Post

- Gibril Wilson (starter)- Chris Snee (starter)-- Eli Manning (starter)
    - Brandon Jacobs (significant role)-- Ahmad Bradshaw (significant role)
    - Aaron Ross (significant role)-- Kevin Boss (significant role, starter after Shockey got hurt)
    - Steve Smith (significant role)- - Kenny Philips (starter)

Your list had only 2 RB's Neither had a "significant role". Jacobs was goal line and short yardage almost exclusively. Bradshaw was #3 and didn't get a lot of play until after mid season. And then there is Eli. And Eli is just Eli. A whole other category.
    How many HBs have we drafted since Coughlin has been here? BJ, Bradshaw, Andre Brown and Wilson....Andre Brown got injured in training camp and missed the season, and Wilson is still growing into his role. Not sure how many others you want me to list.

Goal-line and short yardage is not a significant role? I beg to differ...and usually that role goes to a veteran (see guys like Ottis Anderson, Marcus Allen, and other guys who are reliable to not lose the ball.

In any case, I have faith in TC and the coaching staff to prepare players to play...and to know when someone is ready to take on more responsibility or not.

please.

more than anything Coughlin is protecting Eli.

it keeps happening, it keeps coming out in the media, even Brown said it in his post big game interview, and fans continue to be completely blind about it.

Prove that you can protect the QB, and you'll get more carries on this offense.

Brown was flat out asked the question about does he think he should get more playing time as a result of his big game and his answer started with "well, if you want to get on the field in my position you have to be able to protect your QB first so........."

i don't want RBs learning on the job given how important our QB is to the success of our offense.

I don't understand what the hellfire rush is. First it was giving the kid a chance, then it was we're not doing well with our current RBs, now we are having success running the ball and still all this heat about getting Wilson on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    please.

more than anything Coughlin is protecting Eli.

it keeps happening, it keeps coming out in the media, even Brown said it in his post big game interview, and fans continue to be completely blind about it.

Prove that you can protect the QB, and you'll get more carries on this offense.

Brown was flat out asked the question about does he think he should get more playing time as a result of his big game and his answer started with "well, if you want to get on the field in my position you have to be able to protect your QB first so........."

i don't want RBs learning on the job given how important our QB is to the success of our offense.

I don't understand what the hellfire rush is. First it was giving the kid a chance, then it was we're not doing well with our current RBs, now we are having success running the ball and still all this heat about getting Wilson on the field.

+1
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

No doubt DW will see the feild more... I think he is very lucky to see the feild period (considering TC's coaching style)... With that said TC must be pretty high on the kid to let him assume the return role so early... I think they are letting him larn and Ill bet we will see more of him later in the season... I think he will emerge down the stretch like AB did his 1st year... Last week against CLE was the best way to take advantage of the precious time you get!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bg79 View Post
    Cmon, don't go there with the whole the coaches see the player more than we do therefor we have no right to question any judgement kind of crap. What were those coaches seeing in practices and meeting rooms that were keeping Victor Cruz from getting a bigger role till injury forced him finally into the lineup? If you're going to fall back on that you gotta be prepared that sometimes they just flat out don't make the right judgement calls and they didnt with Cruz in that regard, or hey even JPP took longer than I liked for him to get a significant role on the defense.

The point of my previous post was that there were a different set of rules applied and that isnt a great message to send a player and could explain why some of the veterans tend to get soft here. Basically the way I see it right now is if you're a rookie or younger player you have to go to ridiculous levels to prove yourself and live up to unrealistic demands of mistake free football. However, once you've firmly entrenched yourself as a starter those rules don't apply. Fumbling, lack of effort, and just downright stinking don't seem to matter once you've already gotten the position. It could explain why Osi, Tuck, Diehl, and Bradshaw up until yesterdays game have flat out stunk this season. If Tom is going to be his legendary hardass self when it comes to certain things then he needs to apply that same standard to the whole team and not just play favorites with the vets.

Other teams arent afraid to lean heavily on their rookies. Look at the browns using Richardson as basically their only playmaker. Something tells me that if he were a Giant he'd be relegated to a similar role that Wilson has as we'd be debating on whether he has the knowledge of the plays or blocking ability to be out there over Bradshaw. At some point in time you gotta just see what you have. Bradshaw had 30 carries last game for his 200 yards, was there really a need for him to have so many carries and us not get more of a look at Wilson or even Scott (if he was even dressed). The game was essentially over and we were still feeding Bradshaw carries, why not get a look especially after Wilson showed what he could do with his tiny amount of carries. It's just a source of frustration as a fan because we can all see the talent out of Wilson and know he can't utilize it when he isnt in the game, let the kid play!
    Consistently, regardless of the journalist, the Giants are thought of as the best team for UFAs to try and get a role because this coaching staff is universally thought of as the most likely to play someone who earns the role regardless of when they're drafted.

the point is the giants don't HAVE to start their rookies, and that's not a bad thing.

what's the big friggin rush? because Wilson's got jets?

Banned
    Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnerNYG View Post
    Coach Coughlin is a great coach, I'm not doubting his decision on not giving Wilson a bigger role although I wish he can contribute more. I just hate how he does rookies at times. If this team didn't have a QB and we drafted Luck or RG3, they'll be sitting on the bench just like Eli did. Some positions like the HB gotta almost get put in immediately and learn on the fly. Just because we won 2 Superbowls in 5 years doesn't mean he's the supreme all knowing coach... more than us obviously but how he handle rookies sometimes kind of bothers me.
    Eli became a starter his rookie season.

Veteran
    49ers are ball hawks, I'd be weary of him getting the ball there

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    Even Tebow gets more carries than this guy
    And how's that been working out?

# 80

+ Reply to Thread