+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10,307

    I hope we lose...

    the coin toss.

    I don't know if its just me, but I feel like over the past few years, about 90% of the time we get the ball at the start of the game, we don't get a TD and it feels like 75% of the time we don't even get any points at all.

    Why do we keep doing this?? I know you want to start the game aggressive and put points on the board but let's face reality, our offense usually doesn't start clicking until the third or fourth series. I say we let our D go out there first, make a huge stop (a bold statement considering how we've been playing on D lately), and get some momentum on our side.

  2. #2
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,511
    I always want the ball first in the second half
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  3. #3
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10,307
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I always want the ball first in the second half
    me too...that has become a rare luxury however

  4. #4
    Moderator RoanokeFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    95,511
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    me too...that has become a rare luxury however
    Although, in this game, I see an offensive battle where we want to score first and I'm not sure our defense is up to keeping the Niners out of the end zone.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1


  5. #5
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9,373
    I would like to see them on defense 1st as well. Make a stand and force a punt. Then follow it up with a score. Then before the half add more points to their lead with them getting the ball to start the 2nd half. The make sure they score to start the 2nd half.

  6. #6
    Would love to see David Wilson start the game with a 100+ yard KR

  7. #7
    And why is it that when we DO win the coin toss we elect to receive. I would defer if I were a HC...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

  8. #8
    All-Pro egyptian420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    10,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    And why is it that when we DO win the coin toss we elect to receive. I would defer if I were a HC...
    seems to make the most sense based on how our team plays

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    the coin toss.

    I don't know if its just me, but I feel like over the past few years, about 90% of the time we get the ball at the start of the game, we don't get a TD and it feels like 75% of the time we don't even get any points at all.

    Why do we keep doing this?? I know you want to start the game aggressive and put points on the board but let's face reality, our offense usually doesn't start clicking until the third or fourth series. I say we let our D go out there first, make a huge stop (a bold statement considering how we've been playing on D lately), and get some momentum on our side.
    I prefer the ball in the 2nd half as well.

  10. #10
    ya know, i think it honestly may be we do that bc KG usually likes to take the first series and not really have a scripted first series like other coaches do(sometimes the first 2 drives r scripted, Holmgrem was known for that) bc he likes to get a feel for what the defense is doing. After he sees their base set and stuff with the pictures on the sideline with eli, he gets aggressive.
    So, in essence we're potentially just basically throwing away our first drive (which i hate, it almost doesnt sound plausible but KG has stated he does this numerous tmes). If the other team gets the ball 1rst, and scores, with how we basically throw that first series away, the opposing team could go up 2 scores by their 2nd drive hypothetically, which would then muck up the playcalling anyways. so i guess he does it to ensure if we get the ball 1rst and waste that first drive, the opposing team cant go up 2 scores if they score opening drive by the time we actually figure out what we're gonna do on offense.

    just a theory of mine based off how KG has said he likes to take the first few downs and be a lil vanilla to get an idea of what the D will be doing, like what their gameplan looks like and then formulate what he's gonna call and when hes gonna call it. again, thats how he literally does it so maybe thats why...
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 10-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts