+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Management 101 (2nd week now)

Veteran

Game Management 101 (2nd week now)

Please educate me someone

When your leading in the 3rd quarter by 17 points, should you be calling 3 straight pass plays ?? All of them turned out to be incomplete and took no time off the clock and also you never know pick 6 and new game. Now a lot of you will jump and say well we won the game who cares. Well yes this is true but it was the Browns and not Pats or Falcons or some other team that can get it going on offense. This to me is just bad game management and this somehow reminds me of Buddy Ryan punching Killdrive years ago ????. or the eagles game that I will never forget a few years back.

There just isnt a need for 3 straight passes. I am not saying you cant pass with lead but on a day your running the ball effectively or at least if not, with a lead its something that you should be working on anyways as we struggled at times this year running. Quick turn over of downs and stopping clock is just terrible game management in my opinion. Run once and than twice and pass on 3rd down. Seems simple to me ? i guess they like to over think things.

At least when you run 1 or 2 times you have a chance for positive yardage and take time off clock and perhaps even get a 1st down. Gives the defense a rest and lessons the distance for a 3rd down attempt.

I don't know maybe I don't understand simple football.

Hopefully our coaches look back and realize this (probably wont) and that it doesnt get us in a big game. lets face it, our D isnt playing like other years where we could rely on them.

god you hate THE BEST offensive coordinator ever in Giants history ... we scored 41 points

and teams this past week that were satisfied settling for long FGs to win instead of trying to advance the ball further, all lost, so while our execution at the end of Philly was poor (well poor from a concussed player) ... our attack mode strategy was spot on

in this league, if you take your foot off the pedal ... you lose ... if the D puts 8 or 9 in the box, you dont bang your head against the wall ... you take what they give

and finally, what has been pointed out a million times ... Eli changes plays ... helloooo, he's not one of these game manager QBs that has no choice but to run the play that is called
    Apologize to Melo 5

You can run 3 times in a row and still have to punt the ball. Moving the chains takes time off the clock. o more.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that series. There are several things that go into this though, Eli has a lot of control when it comes to the plays. He may have checked out of a run because he saw a matchup he liked or based on what the d was doing decided to throw it. One thing I did notice during the game was on Bradshaw's td run in the 2nd quarter, where the checks Eli was making I don't think I ever heard any qb point out the will or safety.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GMan-67 View Post
    god you hate THE BEST offensive coordinator ever in Giants history ... we scored 41 points

and teams this past week that were satisfied settling for long FGs to win instead of trying to advance the ball further, all lost, so while our execution at the end of Philly was poor (well poor from a concussed player) ... our attack mode strategy was spot on

in this league, if you take your foot off the pedal ... you lose ... if the D puts 8 or 9 in the box, you dont bang your head against the wall ... you take what they give

and finally, what has been pointed out a million times ... Eli changes plays ... helloooo, he's not one of these game manager QBs that has no choice but to run the play that is called
    Your comparisons are off. We werent leading by a FG. We were leading by 17. Also you mentioned philly game and defending the Gm management and play calling. I dont know where you have been but even the coaches second guessed there strategy on that.

Also if you are going to check out of run for the sake of passing than we shouldnt be hitting something then. They werent in a total run defense commit 8 or 9. I disagree with your reply.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    You can run 3 times in a row and still have to punt the ball. Moving the chains takes time off the clock. o more.
    When you run 3 times at least you take time off the clock and at least gain some positive yardage, throwing 3 in-completes helps the other team actually.

Isnt this common sense.

I didnt say run 3 times punt for the rest of the game but I was a little shocked than with a decent lead we threw 3 straight incompletions. Whereas we could have slipped in a run or 2 and throw on 3rd.

In the 3rd quarter you keep running your offense unless you really need to score points. Bottling up gives the other team hope that you will settle for a little field position before giving them back the ball. Their QB will know he can take chances and have a shot to win. If you keep playing the way that got you to 17 up you will probably win the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    When you run 3 times at least you take time off the clock and at least gain some positive yardage, throwing 3 in-completes helps the other team actually.

Isnt this common sense.
    Do you think the pass plays were called because we wanted incompletions?

Veteran
    Please educate me someone

When your leading in the 3rd quarter by 17 points, should you be calling 3 straight pass plays ?? All of them turned out to be incomplete and took no time off the clock and also you never know pick 6 and new game. Now a lot of you will jump and say well we won the game who cares. Well yes this is true but it was the Browns and not Pats or Falcons or some other team that can get it going on offense. This to me is just bad game management and this somehow reminds me of Buddy Ryan punching Killdrive years ago ????. or the eagles game that I will never forget a few years back.

There just isnt a need for 3 straight passes. I am not saying you cant pass with lead but on a day your running the ball effectively or at least if not, with a lead its something that you should be working on anyways as we struggled at times this year running. Quick turn over of downs and stopping clock is just terrible game management in my opinion. Run once and than twice and pass on 3rd down. Seems simple to me ? i guess they like to over think things.

At least when you run 1 or 2 times you have a chance for positive yardage and take time off clock and perhaps even get a 1st down. Gives the defense a rest and lessons the distance for a 3rd down attempt.

I don't know maybe I don't understand simple football.

Hopefully our coaches look back and realize this (probably wont) and that it doesnt get us in a big game. lets face it, our D isnt playing like other years where we could rely on them.
    While you might have a point about the time management, evoking Buddy Ryan to back up your argument loses you all credibility. Fat Buddy (much like his fat son Rob and his once fat son Rex) never had a clue about offense. Had he figured out that no matter how good your defense is you still need to outscore the opponent to win , the Eagles SB trophy case might not be empty today.

Your comparisons are off. We werent leading by a FG. We were leading by 17. Also you mentioned philly game and defending the Gm management and play calling. I dont know where you have been but even the coaches second guessed there strategy on that.

Also if you are going to check out of run for the sake of passing than we shouldnt be hitting something then. They werent in a total run defense commit 8 or 9. I disagree with your reply.
    so we abandoned the run then, but still ran for over 200 yards .. man, sheep, i know those blinders you have are permanently affixed to your head, but you may want to see about getting them removed somehow
    Last edited by GMan-67; 10-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Apologize to Melo 5

+ Reply to Thread