+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Game Management 101 (2nd week now)

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    Well yes this is true but it was the Browns and not Pats or Falcons or some other team that can get it going on offense. .
    This one sentance is an important one. You can not discount the fact that the strength of an opponent is a big factor in play calling decisions. I think the fact we ran the crap out of the ball was also a factor. If the D stacks against the run, adjustments have to be made. Eli makes calls based on what he sees set up infront of him. Sometimes we just don't exacute the plays properly or a defender makes a good play. If not we would never lose. Play calling got us to a 17 point lead. No sense abandoning the offense that got us there, (run or pass). The blunder at the end of the Philly game is a different situation. I have a feeling that kinda thing will never happen again.
    Last edited by GiantRoc; 10-10-2012 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by yatitle View Post
    While you might have a point about the time management, evoking Buddy Ryan to back up your argument loses you all credibility. Fat Buddy (much like his fat son Rob and his once fat son Rex) never had a clue about offense. Had he figured out that no matter how good your defense is you still need to outscore the opponent to win , the Eagles SB trophy case might not be empty today.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Buddy Ryan sucker-punched Gilbride in a game that the Oilers won 24-0 and in a year where Gilbride's offense was one of the best in the league.

The only reason that Buddy Ryan punched Gilbride is that Buddy is a fat idiot. To imply that Gilbride somehow deserved it is just ignorant.

Eli can change from a run to pass on any play. The giants offense is built to take advantage of whatever the defense shows.

If the browns bring a safety up into the box, the correct play is to pass. That doesn't always mean it will work, but that's how it's designed

And frankly, putting the ball in Eli's hands in any scenario is not a bad thing

You play a game to win and you score points to win. You DO NOT play a game "not to lose".

That mentality will bite you in the *** 9 times out of 10. Unless there is 3 or 4 minutes left and a comeback is mathematically inconceivable, you keep pressing.

Why is it that only morons bring up Buddy Ryan punching Gilbride?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    Please educate me someone

When your leading in the 3rd quarter by 17 points, should you be calling 3 straight pass plays ?? All of them turned out to be incomplete and took no time off the clock and also you never know pick 6 and new game. Now a lot of you will jump and say well we won the game who cares. Well yes this is true but it was the Browns and not Pats or Falcons or some other team that can get it going on offense. This to me is just bad game management and this somehow reminds me of Buddy Ryan punching Killdrive years ago ????. or the eagles game that I will never forget a few years back.

There just isnt a need for 3 straight passes. I am not saying you cant pass with lead but on a day your running the ball effectively or at least if not, with a lead its something that you should be working on anyways as we struggled at times this year running. Quick turn over of downs and stopping clock is just terrible game management in my opinion. Run once and than twice and pass on 3rd down. Seems simple to me ? i guess they like to over think things.

At least when you run 1 or 2 times you have a chance for positive yardage and take time off clock and perhaps even get a 1st down. Gives the defense a rest and lessons the distance for a 3rd down attempt.

I don't know maybe I don't understand simple football.

Hopefully our coaches look back and realize this (probably wont) and that it doesnt get us in a big game. lets face it, our D isnt playing like other years where we could rely on them.

Eli often changes plays at the line according to what he sees on the defense. I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

I attribute it to two things:

(1) the defense expect you to run so keep them honest and/orr off balance
    (2) being aggressive and going for even more points

However, the reasons you run in this situation are not just that you kill the clock but it's demoralizing and exhausting for the defense to try to stop run plays down after down after down.

Of course this greed of going for more through the air lost us the Philly game
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 10-10-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfam04 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing when I saw that series. There are several things that go into this though, Eli has a lot of control when it comes to the plays. He may have checked out of a run because he saw a matchup he liked or based on what the d was doing decided to throw it. One thing I did notice during the game was on Bradshaw's td run in the 2nd quarter, where the checks Eli was making I don't think I ever heard any qb point out the will or safety.
    Funny you should mention that! I noticed too and commented to my wife that i had never heard it b4.... It was ironic cause i was just briefly explaining why eli would say 52 is the mike

Third quarter is too early to think like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    Third quarter is too early to think like that.
    Exactly, you still have another quarter to drive the knife in deeper. Prevent defenses and conservative offenses should be saved until you the very end of the game. The offense was having their way with Cleveland, but still it was too early to run the clock down.

+ Reply to Thread