+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

It's not just about SACKS

ok, by their own admission and by TCs admission the stud DEs are under performing

but, we do need to take a step back and look at other things beyond sacks

if a QB takes a 3 step drop and immediately throws a slant ...there is no way to get a sack, for example

Eli has only been sacked 4 times and we are not a west coast offense, dink and dunk team, we are always looking to throw it downfield and we take 5-7 step drops and this board was chicken littling it up about our line and our Tackles, so are we looking at a league wide trend? ... well, not for the Packers, but

so, long story short, i feel the sacks will come and they do tend to come in bunches, but now is a good time to remember other things

batted passes ... had a bunch of these on Sunday and it is the way to defend 3 step drops

QB hits

hurries, we've got a good number of INTs, which almost always are the product of the QB hurrying it

illegal procedures .... Cleveland had guys ... even the great Joe Thomas .... jump(ing) due to the challenge of trying to block JPP, etc.

run D ... ok before you chuckle, we are right in the middle of the pack vs. the run giving up 111 / game and we've played Trent Richardson, who we did hold to 80 ultimately, Demarco Murray, Lesean McCoy, Cam Newton/Deangelo Hall and Doug Martin ... Tuck and JPP do better than avg. as DEs vs. the run ... Osi, well not so much, but the point is to read the posts here, you would think we were last in the league vs. the run

and just one more thing ... a great clip from the Super Bowl highlights was hearing Tom Brady say that he felt like he was trying to throw in a forest
    Apologize to Melo 5

We're not getting anything. It has nothing to do with 3 step drops. our guys are getting whooped and will continue to get whooped unless something drastic happens.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Sacks were the D's identity last season, this season it's being hopeless. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    We're not getting anything. It has nothing to do with 3 step drops. our guys are getting whooped and will continue to get whooped unless something drastic happens.
    Its not all three step drops. I have watched every second of Giants football this year and opposing QB's have alot of time back there. Hell, even last week, Weeden wasn't just doing 3 step drops. He was holding the ball for 3-5 seconds.

The D-line is performing like trash with the exception of JPP (who actuall occasionaly beats his man). Its time to switch it up and let some rooks get some playing time.

We need Canty back...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

the Houston Texans are last in the league in sacks and their best DE JJ Watt understands that vs. a west coast style, dink and dunk offense, you gotta elevate and knock down passes

is anyone saying their D is bad?

bottom line is we do have to get better and clearly that means taking chances and blitzing more, but again here's where you have to remember this is a team sport, so if we lack confidence in the backups that have been forced into action in our defensive backfield, well you can see why we are hesitant to do that ... just look at tape from the Tampa game

this past week, the worst D play we had was after the Browns abused backup Markus Kuhn with runs up the middle for the TD after our turnover

then they play action to Trent and our inexperienced Safety Brown bites on it and they hit a huge play

not to be cliche, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link
    Apologize to Melo 5

Quote Originally Posted by JB456 View Post
    Its not all three step drops. I have watched every second of Giants football this year and opposing QB's have alot of time back there. Hell, even last week, Weeden wasn't just doing 3 step drops. He was holding the ball for 3-5 seconds.

The D-line is performing like trash with the exception of JPP (who actuall occasionaly beats his man). Its time to switch it up and let some rooks get some playing time.
    Yeah we agree. I'm sick of people talking about three step drops when we've been beaten deep in almost every game this year. The young guys need to get some spin but...and I don't mean to sound like a broken record but its time to end the Kiwi experiment and put him back at his natural position.

I think a combo of Kiwi and JPP with Osi and tuck SPRINKLED in will be just the change of pace to get the pass rush moving.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Quote Originally Posted by GMan-67 View Post
    the Houston Texans are last in the league in sacks and their best DE JJ Watt understands that vs. a west coast style, dink and dunk offense, you gotta elevate and knock down passes

is anyone saying their D is bad?

bottom line is we do have to get better and clearly that means taking chances and blitzing more, but again here's where you have to remember this is a team sport, so if we lack confidence in the backups that have been forced into action in our defensive backfield, well you can see why we are hesitant to do that ... just look at tape from the Tampa game

this past week, the worst D play we had was after the Browns abused backup Markus Kuhn with runs up the middle for the TD after our turnover

then they play action to Trent and our inexperienced Safety Brown bites on it and they hit a huge play

not to be cliche, but a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link
    I'm confused as to what you're talking about. The whole point is if our front 4 would do their damn job we wouldn't have to worry about blitzing and exposing the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by burier View Post
    I'm confused as to what you're talking about. The whole point is if our front 4 would do their damn job we wouldn't have to worry about blitzing and exposing the secondary.
    i was talking about the last game .... 14 points given up b/c of Kuhn and Stevie Brown ... take those 14 away or knock that number down to 3 an our D peformance looks just fine
    Apologize to Melo 5

Id take some pressures at least... We leave the QB standing in the pocket without any hurry.

Odellious Beckinghammer the Twice, Go get yours soon.