+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants' defensive line struggling: Could Mathias Kiwanuka be the prescription?

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/10/...-prescription/

Excerpt: "One thing has been apparent as the New York Giants have meandered to a 3-2 record: the defensive line is not what we're used to seeing from Big Blue in recent years. Chris Canty returning from the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list in a couple weeks should be a boost, but the Giants sure need some help on the outside as the pass rush and run containment just haven't been there, leaving Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiorascratching their heads.

And for our money, Mathias Kiwanuka is our best bet for helping the defensive line reassert its ability to control a game.Before we talk about Kiwanuka, let's point out that the only five NFL teams have less sacks than the New York Giants. And that's only half the problem: Demarco Murray ran for 131, LeSean McCoy for 123, and both DeAngelo Williams (4.5 yards per carry) and Trent Richardson (67 yards and a touchdown in the first half) were gashing the Giants up until their teams fell behind and had to throw the ball." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I'm convinced that Canty's absence is what caused this line to fall apart. He commands double teams and pushes the pocket back at the same time... JR wasn't paying this guy big bucks for nothing after all...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I'm convinced that Canty's absence is what caused this line to fall apart. He commands double teams and pushes the pocket back at the same time... JR wasn't paying this guy big bucks for nothing after all...
    +1 I sure hope he starts practicing next week
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/10/...-prescription/

Excerpt: "One thing has been apparent as the New York Giants have meandered to a 3-2 record: the defensive line is not what we're used to seeing from Big Blue in recent years. Chris Canty returning from the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list in a couple weeks should be a boost, but the Giants sure need some help on the outside as the pass rush and run containment just haven't been there, leaving Jason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiorascratching their heads.

And for our money, Mathias Kiwanuka is our best bet for helping the defensive line reassert its ability to control a game.Before we talk about Kiwanuka, let's point out that the only five NFL teams have less sacks than the New York Giants. And that's only half the problem: Demarco Murray ran for 131, LeSean McCoy for 123, and both DeAngelo Williams (4.5 yards per carry) and Trent Richardson (67 yards and a touchdown in the first half) were gashing the Giants up until their teams fell behind and had to throw the ball." Read more...
    Wow I have been saying this for weeks on the Message board and everyone as usual disagrees with me or says no way man.
    Well I tend to be right with this team more often than not.
    Glad to see that the team is starting to see we have LBers capable of doing what kiwi is doing and that he may be better served on the Dline.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    +1 I sure hope he starts practicing next week
    I'm with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdip View Post
    Wow I have been saying this for weeks on the Message board and everyone as usual disagrees with me or says no way man.
    Well I tend to be right with this team more often than not.
    Glad to see that the team is starting to see we have LBers capable of doing what kiwi is doing and that he may be better served on the Dline.
    I can all but guarantee you, no matter what the guy who wrote that article thinks that Kiwi stays linebacker. Excepting the odd formation or personnel package thatfeatures him elsewhere.

One, Kiwi has expressed a disinterest, if not an outright refusal to switch back in interviews.

Two, no one from the giants has said a word about this, not Coughlin, Fewell, or Reese. Someone who writes for Giants 101is not a spokesperson for the team. In fact, I'd wager many credentialed sports writers would argue that a writer for such a site is not far removed from a forum poster. For what its worth, I can point out many credentiald sportswriters that are asshats too.
    Last edited by TextureDj; 10-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TextureDj View Post
    I can all but guarantee you, no matter what the guy who wrote that article thinks that Kiwi stays linebacker. Excepting the odd formation or personnel package thatfeatures him elsewhere.

One, Kiwi has expressed a disinterest, if not an outright refusal to switch back in interviews.

Two, no one from the giants has said a word about this, not Coughlin, Fewell, or Reese. Someone who writes for Giants 101is not a spokesperson for the team. In fact, I'd wager many credentialed sports writers would argue that a writer for such a site is not far removed from a forum poster. For what its worth, I can point out many credentiald sportswriters that are asshats too.
    this pretty much sums it up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Kiwinuka is a better defensive lineman v. the run than Osi. I agree he should be moved back into rotation and get someone else to cover his LB spot.

Osi is best as a 3rd down edge rusher at this point....he's never been strong against the run, and this year he is worse than usual.

I agree Canty's loss is a big hole.

Another problem is that Marvin Austin has been a complete non-factor.....really a big disappointment....... William Joseph Alert.

Quote Originally Posted by TextureDj View Post

First of all I'd like to read the interview where Kiwi said he didn't want to play DE. That doesn't have the ring of truth at all.

Second of all even if Kiwi does have a problem with going back to DE (Which would make him an idiot btw as he'd essentially be saying that he doesn't want to play his NATURAL position, he doesn't want to make a bigger impact on the team, he doesn't want to help the team win and he doesn't want to become more monentarily valuable.) its not his call.

Just for the sake of vindication I'd like to remind everyone that it was actually I who said that we should have moved Kiwi back to end first and I still hope Coughlin makes the move. It's the only way we can generate the pass rush we need for our Defense to function.

Kiwi is a better passrusher than Tuck and Osi and he plays the run better than Tuck and Osi combined.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

I think we need Ojomo or Tracy to show the veterans how it's done.