+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

Exclamation Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

With a 4.8 yard per carry average, the G-Men have the sixth ranked rushing average, a stark contrast vs. last year's abysmal performance.

In the 2011 regular season, the team was dead last in average per carry with 3.5 yards per game for the first 16 games.

The meaning?

1) It enhances the ability for Eli to buy time to throw
    2) The offensive line is jelling well, a big surprise, though maybe more so with David Diehl being forced out of the lineup.

The Brandon Jacobs-less 49ers are currently tops in the NFL with a 6.1 rushing average. It's also a big improvement over last year's season.

Next week is going to be a huge test.

lets not get ahead of ourselves. in our 2 losses, we couldnt run the ball consistently for jack. i want to see the OL continue its level of play and not regress s better defenses

Veteran
    Rochester, NY Yes Bills contry what can I do its where I live
    It's definitely a good start. I'll be happier when we run with more consistency. We had a couple big run games that skewed the numbers a bit. It would be great if we can maintain this improvement. It's a hopeful sign for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantRoc View Post
    It's definitely a good start. I'll be happier when we run with more consistency. We had a couple big run games that skewed the numbers a bit. It would be great if we can maintain this improvement. It's a hopeful sign for sure though.
    It's also a huge factor heading into SF this year. The 49ers cannot count on simply launching on Eli like they did in the NFC Championship game. Now, they have to respect the Giants' rushing game.

Similarly, however, with the abysmal tackling of the Giants' front four, and the 49ers great success running the ball, they will have a similar advantage over the Giants when on offense.

Hopefully, Brandon Jacobs will be back to motivate the Giant defense and bring down the 49er average.

sf is top 3 in every d category including rush defense...we gotta pass to setup the run

Look at the teams they have played, their defensive numbers don't mean crap. Not saying their defense is not great but those numbers are bs.

All-Pro
    Those numbers where inflated last week due to one great game. Lets see how they do this week.

yeah that was strange last season ... glad we are getting back to where we belong ... altho this could be a tough week to run
    Apologize to Melo 5

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    sf is top 3 in every d category including rush defense...we gotta pass to setup the run
    Looks like that's been our only working strategy for the past 2 seasons....whenever we try to run to set up the pass, neither work. We get stuffed on the first two runs, then are forced into a typical 3rd and 11 and get an incompletion.

I love when Eli starts the game with a deep play action pass and just keeps passing non stop for 3 more plays. That always opens up the run.

+ Reply to Thread