+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Next week is going to be a huge test.
    If we can pull off a decent run game against the 9ers this weekend, I will be convinced that the run game is back. If that is the case, this team will be even more dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    Looks like that's been our only working strategy for the past 2 seasons....whenever we try to run to set up the pass, neither work. We get stuffed on the first two runs, then are forced into a typical 3rd and 11 and get an incompletion.

I love when Eli starts the game with a deep play action pass and just keeps passing non stop for 3 more plays. That always opens up the run.
    SHHHHH.... that's heresy to Killdrive.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Actually, we're 7th in the NFC and 12th in the NFL
    If you re-read the original post, the stat quoted is the 6th in the NFL in average gain per carry, not total yards gained.

See it here at NFL.com (Just choose complete list of team rushing leaders, then sort by average yards per carry).

To me, that is the significant rushing stat because it better measures the success of the running game--the thing that happens in between Eli's passes--and which sets up the passing game.

The Giants would be higher in rush offense if the passing game wasn't so successful, so that there would be more rushing attempts in the course of a game.

For those who say the stats are skewed, for example because of the long TD run by David Wilson, all teams have long runs that expand the stats. Some teams have weaker schedules than others that also skew the stats.
    Last edited by GreenZone; 10-11-2012 at 10:24 AM.

haha, I love early year rankings... so meaningless. We had one unreal strong game, 2 average games, and 2 bad games rushing the ball.

Also, Rushes per carry can be scued as well. For example, David Wilson hasnt had many touches and looked bad in all but one so far that he took 40 yards to the house. That exaggerates his YPC.
    Last edited by TheAnalyst; 10-11-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZone View Post
    If you re-read the original post, the stat quoted is the 6th in the NFL in average gain per carry, not total yards gained.

See it here at NFL.com (Just choose complete list of team rushing leaders, then sort by average yards per carry).

To me, that is the significant rushing stat because it better measures the success of the running game--the thing that happens in between Eli's passes--and which sets up the passing game.

The Giants would be higher in rush offense if the passing game wasn't so successful, so that there would be more rushing attempts in the course of a game.

For those who say the stats are skewed, for example because of the long TD run by David Wilson, all teams have long runs that expand the stats. Some teams have weaker schedules than others that also skew the stats.
    I didn't say anything was skewed. I just provided facts to add to the discussion.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    haha, I love early year rankings... so meaningless. We had one unreal strong game, 2 average games, and 2 bad games rushing the ball.

Also, Rushes per carry can be scued as well. For example, David Wilson hasnt had many touches and looked bad in all but one so far that he took 40 yards to the house. That exaggerates his YPC.
    I love how people discredit statistics by citing one long run. If you exclude the Wilson 40 yard TD run, the Giants have a 4.48 yard per carry average, instead of 4.8 yards. Do you know where they would rank then? It would have put them in 7th place instead of 6th.

If you or anyone else don't think there's any meaning to being 6th this year right now vs. last place during last year's regular season, then you don't watch much football or have blinders on. It's obvious that holes are forming and even 3rd or 4th and short yardage plays are getting converted on the ground this year for the first time since before Brandon Jacobs was a Giant.

There's no question here the offensive line is creating holes which it hasn't done in a lot of previous years' regular season games.
    Last edited by GreenZone; 10-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.

I didn't say anything was skewed. I just provided facts to add to the discussion.
    My point about your post is that it left the implication that the stat I had cited for this post was wrong, in your saying "Actually...the Giants are...12th in the NFL...", not that you were one of those implying the skewing of statistics. The word "actually" gives a clear indication of "mistaken."

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZone View Post
    My point about your post is that it left the implication that the stat I had cited for this post was wrong, in your saying "Actually...the Giants are...12th in the NFL...", not that you were one of those implying the skewing of statistics. The word "actually" gives a clear indication of "mistaken."
    Not to me,. but OK. Deleted the stats
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-11-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Not to me,. but OK. Deleted the stats
    No need to delete, as they are legit, it was a little astray of my original point, though

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Those numbers where inflated last week due to one great game. Lets see how they do this week.
    I agree completely and you beat me to saying it.

+ Reply to Thread