+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surprise! Giants 6th ranked rushing average so far

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenZone View Post
    With a 4.8 yard per carry average, the G-Men have the sixth ranked rushing average, a stark contrast vs. last year's abysmal performance.

In the 2011 regular season, the team was dead last in average per carry with 3.5 yards per game for the first 16 games.

The meaning?

1) It enhances the ability for Eli to buy time to throw
    2) The offensive line is jelling well, a big surprise, though maybe more so with David Diehl being forced out of the lineup.

The Brandon Jacobs-less 49ers are currently tops in the NFL with a 6.1 rushing average. It's also a big improvement over last year's season.
    Anyone who's actually watched the games knows this stat is inflated from our 2 big wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Anyone who's actually watched the games knows this stat is inflated from our 2 big wins.
    Anyone who didn't watch the competitors' games wouldn't know that many of their yards were obtained during less meaningful situations and against weak opponents. Do you want to discount the 49ers stats too against the Jets? How about every other team?

After week 6, and against arguably the NFL's best defense Sunday, the Giants rushed for 149 yards and now rank ... guess where... still 6th in average yards per carry, down a tad to 4.6 yards per game.

Additionally, the team now ranks 9th overall in total yards rushed from scrimmage.

During last week, most of the threads were poo pooing the stat, claiming much of the yardage was gained during garbage time. The truth is that much is gained in the 4th quarter when the defense is worn down and when time is being churned off the clock.

BTW, you ever wonder how you wait all week anticipating the game, then want to see your team eat up the clock to get the game over with?

i am loving the running game. beatty has been solid at LT continuing to progress since last yr. that detached retina set him back some time but u can see he is an excellent LT and i've always maintained that. Lockler was an excellent FA signing that many slept on. I figured he would beat out DD for the RT spot.

the OL is gelling. But the reason I think we saw the OL we saw yesterdya, and it sounds crazy, but 2 words: DAVID DIEHL

he was excellent as that swing/te tackle. and he allowed us to outSF SF by lining up 1v1 and punching em in the mouth. DD is gonna be hungry and prob play much better in this role, so i think he'll be ok with being the 6th man.

And of course, the whole Eli factor of getting us into plays...setting up protection...i even believe he helps out in assessing run blocking info. i never heard a QB single out each LB, and we ran it for the TD....

if this run game is here to stay, with Eli...we're unstoppable literally. and it will help the D out...i said we'd beat SF by more than 1 possession and that the DL would show up and force Smith into 2 picks (he threw 3) and that the win would propel us on like a 10 game win streak...and now with the way the schedule is shaping up with teams and their injuries...i believe it is extremely possible

If we can finish the season ranked in the top 5-6 in rushing, we will go extremely deep in the SB tournament! Scary to think we were 28th in rushing last yr & won it all. We are running the ball better than we have in over 2yrs. The O-line has not allowed a sack for 3 straight games & only 4 for the yr so far & 3 came in the opener vs Dallas! I agree that if we keep playing the rest of the yr like we did vs SF, we can easily reel off a good long winning streak!

The redskins have a pretty good run D, ranked second only giving up 88 yds per game; however, their passing D is the worst in the league...anyone think Eli and company might have a big day?????

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    The redskins have a pretty good run D, ranked second only giving up 88 yds per game; however, their passing D is the worst in the league...anyone think Eli and company might have a big day?????
    I think Bradshaw puts up another 100 yard game because the Redskins will try to stop the passing attack.

+ Reply to Thread