Are the 49ers who everybody say they are?
Let's see, they beat Greenbay who are playing like crap this year.
Detroit wh I honestly have not followed and don't know about
They lost to the Vikings who appear to be a great team of the same caliber of us.
But then came off of that lost and completely destroyed a disfunctional and poor excuse for a franchise NY Jets
And then turned around humiliated the practice squad known as the Bills
Now my question is, so far the lost to a great team, beat a decent tesm and murdered two sorry teams. Are the 49ers who everyone says they are? Because according to the radio and telivision, we don't stand a chance!
Even though I disagree and believe it will be tough, I think they are just as worried about us! Also, I believe we will crush them because we have a better QB and we have a better team!
I'm not an x and 0 guy, I'm still learning the game, but I'm just asking you are the 49ers as big and bad as they say?
49ers are a good team, however the Giants can play with anyone when they are on, so its a matter of execution.
The fact that no one gives us a chance, seems to play out in our favor every time.
Well....I'm a Niner fan so I'll try not to be too homeristic in saying this, but yes...they are that good.
Thats not to say the Giants don't have a chance though. The Giants have a way of playing up to the better teams so this is anything but in the bag for SF.
I can break down the games in question....
1) GB: The Niners really dominated that game. It was 23-7 at one point and the Packers were beaten down. Then the refs giftwrapped them a TD on a CLEAR block in the back on a punt return. That gave the Packers life until the Niners intercepted a Rodgers pass and ran it in for a score on the next play. The last GB TD was really in garbage time. Even tho the game ended only 8 pts apart, that doesn't really reflect the game.
2) Det: The Niner dominated this game as well despite actually not playing all that well. Dropped passes all over the field and bad penalties. Despite all that they were still up by 2 scores with 2 minutes left. At that point Stafford had only passed for about 130 yards. More garbage time yards and points made it look closer than it was. At this point in the season, the Niners had thoroughly dominated two teams and neither score really reflected that.
3) Minn: I'm not going to do the "they beat themselves" speech because that disrespects a pretty good Viking team. I will say that the Niners came out more flat in that game than any game in the Harbaugh Era. The Vikings just came to play and the Niners were half asleep at the wheel. I've read on this site how the way to beat the Niners is to just keep running it and that the Vikings did so well. Not so fast. Adrian Peterson did have 89 yards on 25 carries, but 21 of those yards came one one carry at the end of the game. He had been bottled up for most of the game. Even with that one run, he averaged 3.4 yards a carry. The guy that REALLY hurt the Niners in that game? Christian Ponder. Every single third down he got pressured, he eluded the rush and made a completion or scrambled for a first down. I mean CRAZY across his body while running the other way passes that were completed. He also scored the only rushing TD the 49ers have allowed all year on a 20+ yard scramble that seemed to shock the Niner D. I don't think anyone thought he could move that fast. I have to give it up to the Vikings for having a great game plan and jumping all over the Niners, but I really wouldn't use this game as a "blueprint" for beating them.
4) Jets: Again....they Niners actually made alot of mistakes in this game. Alex missed a number of deep throws and to be honest the Jets DBs were holding Mario Manningham all freakin day. He kept breaking opon deep a;omg the sideline but was held. It was just 10-0 at halftime and could easily have been 28-0. The Niners came out redertermined at halftime and you saw the final score. Even tho the O had some struggles, the D BLASTED the Jets. It was pretty clear they didn't like that feeling after the Vikings game.
5) Buffalo: Everything came together. Yes, the Bills suck in a BIG way. That D is one of the worst I've seen. Still, they dominated the game in a historic fashion on both sides of the ball. 312 yards rushing. 311 yards passiong. Only allowed 205 TOTAL yards. Kinda funny...I've actually red Bills fans say they were NOT dominated and that the Bills "beat themselves". I'm sorry, when you lose a close one...maybe you can say that....but when you are outGAINED by 416 yards?
Anyway...The Niners right now are a team with LOADS of talent on both sides of the ball. They are essentially the product of two very good GMs for several years (McGloughan and Baalke) and HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE coaching before Harbaugh. They didn't just suddently get talented. They have been that way and poor coaching has assured they would get better draft picks every year. They have hit on almost every top pick over the past several years and have been very wise in Free Agency.
The REASON Harbaugh chose SF over teams like Denver and Miami was because 1) They were close, and 2) They weren't just talented, they had the exact right talent to play the offense he ran in college....big time RB, HUGE O-Line (with 3 first rounders), and very good TEs. That was Stanfords mix. The great D was also a big plus and they already ran the 3-4 that Vic Fangio ran in college.
So this is really just a very long winded way of saying YES, they really are that good. However, I don't think they will blow out the Giants. I think SF wins, but I think it'll be a close game. I have alot of respect for Eli and you can never count him out.
Last edited by Marvin49; 10-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.
You can apply that same logic to the Giants. They haven't beaten anyone of note.
They are good, especially in the defense.
It doesn't matter though. It's all about matchups, and we match up well with each other. It should be another close game.
...and BTW, I've read a few peeps on her point to the Niners strength of schedule as saying they haven't beaten anyone. I think someone quoted that the teams they have played are 11-13 or something like that. In order for that stat to mean anything you really have to take the games against the Niners out of that equasion. That would make those teams 10-9 and should make them 11-8 if not for the worst call in the history of the NFL in that Packer-Seahawks game.
Originally Posted by Flip Empty
Also...while the Jets and Bills arent' very good, they do both have 2 wins. Its not like these are the worst teams in the NFL (although the Bills D is in fact the worst in the NFL). Additionally, it's not like the Niners "barely" beat them. They CRUSHED them the way really good teams beat bad teams.
Last edited by Marvin49; 10-11-2012 at 07:26 PM.
ppl need to understand that it doesnt work like "well team a beat team b, and team c beat team b, so team a..." no. doesnt work like that. its about matchups and weaknesses. minnesota, with AP, was able to matchup with SF better than the Jets. Does that mean Minny automatically would beat the Jets? No of course not.
its about how teams match up. we are 3-1 vs NE the last 4 games. we should have better reg season record than them right? no. we just matchup with NE in ways most teams cant. conversely, we also matchup well with SF in ways most teams can't (imho). I actually see us winning this one by 10, i have SF looking a bit off and unlike their usual self bc of eli and our dl (the two things which help us matchup with anyone)
Yes, they are a very good team. Why would anyone think they aren't? They look like the same good team that was close to going to the Super Bowl last year.
EDIT: OOPS. This was a reply to giantsfan420, but it didn't quote for some reason
LOL. Well I agree and disagree. ;-)
I totally agree with the matchup comment. Couldn't have said it better. The way to beat teams like the Packers and the Patriots is to have a ferocious pass rush from just your front 4. That way you can pressure Rodgers/Brady and still drop 7 into coverage. Thats why the Giants beat the Pats in the SB twice and why they beat the Pack. Thats also why the Niners were able to dominate the pack in week 1 rushing only 3 or 4 and play coverage.
I don't think they have the matchup advantage vs SF tho and I'd be interested to find out why you think that. ;-)
Last edited by Marvin49; 10-11-2012 at 07:34 PM.
They are actually far, far better than last year. If for not other reason, they had a full offseason to learn the offense and are much more on the same page.
Originally Posted by Buddy333