+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    All-Pro joemorrisforprez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    11,346

    How much credit should Mike Singletary get for the 49ers?

    Everyone is singing Harbaugh's praises, but this is largely a team that was built under Mike Singletary.

    Granted, Singletary was a much better player than coach, but his handprints are all over the 49ers.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

    - Emlen Tunnell

  2. #2
    I tend to agree with where you're coming from here. I don't mean the rhetorically at all, but who did Harbaugh really bring in? Guys that were considered "his guys" I mean? If no one then it would seem to me that he just coached up the players Singaletary put together in a way Singletary simply couldn't.

  3. #3
    Mike Singletary wasn't even head coach for 2 full seasons.. Singletary was AGAINST drafting Patrick Willis, if that helps put his contributions in perspective.

    The current core of the Niners were built by Mike Nolan, he originally wanted to establish a power-run offense and dominating defensive squad.. with hits and misses he built the team, he was actually a better GM than head coach. Singletary didn't bring in anybody as head coach, Niners' GM then VP of Personnel, Trent Baalke drafted RT Anthony Davis, LG Mike Iupati, and All-Pro ILB NoVarro Bowman.. Singletary INSISTED the Niners draft Taylor Mays, who is now languishing in Cincy.

    Harbaugh didn't have to bring in much, the pieces were already there.. they just needed coaching. Harbaugh didn't build his team from scratch, but it was Harbaugh that convinced Alex Smith to stay.. if you credit Singletary, you have to give more credit to Mike Nolan, but the guy that has been scouting and helping making decisions on the draft and free agents is Trent Baalke, reigning NFL Executive of the Year.

  4. #4
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    Mike Singletary wasn't even head coach for 2 full seasons.. Singletary was AGAINST drafting Patrick Willis, if that helps put his contributions in perspective.

    The current core of the Niners were built by Mike Nolan, he originally wanted to establish a power-run offense and dominating defensive squad.. with hits and misses he built the team, he was actually a better GM than head coach. Singletary didn't bring in anybody as head coach, Niners' GM then VP of Personnel, Trent Baalke drafted RT Anthony Davis, LG Mike Iupati, and All-Pro ILB NoVarro Bowman.. Singletary INSISTED the Niners draft Taylor Mays, who is now languishing in Cincy.

    Harbaugh didn't have to bring in much, the pieces were already there.. they just needed coaching. Harbaugh didn't build his team from scratch, but it was Harbaugh that convinced Alex Smith to stay.. if you credit Singletary, you have to give more credit to Mike Nolan, but the guy that has been scouting and helping making decisions on the draft and free agents is Trent Baalke, reigning NFL Executive of the Year.
    It doesn't matter who wanted to draft Willis. Singletary molded him at MLB, you can bet your bottom dollar on that one. Singletary's handprint is all over that defense. To say different is to ignore reality. Singletary's fatal flaw is that he was too conservative on offense. Harbaugh may not have brought in more pieces of the puzzle but he stepped up the offensive game planning and play calling tremendously.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    It doesn't matter who wanted to draft Willis. Singletary molded him at MLB, you can bet your bottom dollar on that one. Singletary's handprint is all over that defense. To say different is to ignore reality. Singletary's fatal flaw is that he was too conservative on offense. Harbaugh may not have brought in more pieces of the puzzle but he stepped up the offensive game planning and play calling tremendously.
    Patrick Willis was a BEAST in college, kind of the reason why the Niners drafted him with the 11th pick in the draft. According to the PLAYERS, Singletary did not teach techique, he taught his LBs to have the right mind set to play the position. I don't think Patrick Willis need anymore motivation or getting the right mindset after the hell is childhood was. Singletary didn't mold Willis, tragedy and ultimate triumph did that.. you give Singletary WAY too much credit. Other than Willis, who did he mold? Not Takeo Spikes.. NaVorro Bowman? No, Bowman was lost his season under Singletary.. he was an ALL-PRO the season after Singletary left.

    Why would you think Singletary's handprints are all over the defense.. Singletary doesn't know any Xs and Os.. he didn't call one play, he didn't draw up any either. Greg Manusky was hired under Mike Nolan to run the defense, he was Singletary's defensive coordinator his entire time there.. if you want to give anybody credit, it's Nolan, if not Nolan then Manusky. Most coaches have formations or strategies posted on the walls of their office or classrooms.. Singletary had slogans. Singletary didn't believe in 'trying to trick anybody'.. Singletary didn't believe that a great scheme or plan won football games, he thought that whoever had the stronger will would win the game.. no technique or strategy.. just will.. how many games are won on sheer will?

    The ONLY guy Singletary ever campaigned to draft and start on defense was Taylor Mays, he didn't even last the whole season as a starter. All of the other defensive starters were brought in under Nolan, Singletary basically had Nolan's team. Singletary fought to start Mays, he lasted 4 or 5 games.. Singletary fought to have RG Chilo Rachal start.. he's currently a Chicago Bear.

    Mike Singletary was the worst coach in Niners' history.. and it isn't even close. It makes me CRINGE at the level of incompetence that he demonstrated.. his monday press conferences became MUST SEE events, because he couldn't tell you what went wrong, because he doesn't understand the Xs and Os and didn't understand everything he just saw on the field.. and to hear him try to BS his way out of things. My favorite was when he tried to convince everyone of his idiotic run-run-run-punt offense was, to paraphrase:"Don't you think Payton Manning would rather hand the ball off than have to throw the ball?" After you hear something like that, I just lost all respect for the guy. In 2010, in a game at KC, Singletary's offense was SO predicatable, the defense was CORRECTLY calling out the plays based on formation and personnel group.. it was a massacre.

    I can't ignore the reality, I lived it in horror with every other Niners' fan. It's really insulting to hear ANYBODY give Mike Singletary ANY credit for the Niners' current success. I will give Singletary props for straightening out Vernon Davis, he was another T.O. ready to explode til Singletary got him in check, Vernon Davis is still full of himself, but he's a team player.. and that's what counts.

    Singletary should stick to position coaching and make a living there, he'd never be a defensive coordinator, because he doesn't know Xs and Os.. he can't be a head coach because he can't help either the offensive or defensive coordiantor.. because he doesn't know how to scheme or draw up plays.. half the time he didn't even wear a headset, what was he going to say? How can you overrule somebody on a playcall when you don't understand the plays? Singletary was a disaster.. he robbed the fans of two seasons with his BS and probably shaved a couple years of the fans' lives w/ his maddening reasoning and PURELY idiotic ideas.

    I don't know if you can tell, but this is a SORE subject for most Niners' die-hard fans.

  6. #6
    All-Pro B&RWarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    7,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    Patrick Willis was a BEAST in college, kind of the reason why the Niners drafted him with the 11th pick in the draft. According to the PLAYERS, Singletary did not teach techique, he taught his LBs to have the right mind set to play the position. I don't think Patrick Willis need anymore motivation or getting the right mindset after the hell is childhood was. Singletary didn't mold Willis, tragedy and ultimate triumph did that.. you give Singletary WAY too much credit. Other than Willis, who did he mold? Not Takeo Spikes.. NaVorro Bowman? No, Bowman was lost his season under Singletary.. he was an ALL-PRO the season after Singletary left.

    Why would you think Singletary's handprints are all over the defense.. Singletary doesn't know any Xs and Os.. he didn't call one play, he didn't draw up any either. Greg Manusky was hired under Mike Nolan to run the defense, he was Singletary's defensive coordinator his entire time there.. if you want to give anybody credit, it's Nolan, if not Nolan then Manusky. Most coaches have formations or strategies posted on the walls of their office or classrooms.. Singletary had slogans. Singletary didn't believe in 'trying to trick anybody'.. Singletary didn't believe that a great scheme or plan won football games, he thought that whoever had the stronger will would win the game.. no technique or strategy.. just will.. how many games are won on sheer will?

    The ONLY guy Singletary ever campaigned to draft and start on defense was Taylor Mays, he didn't even last the whole season as a starter. All of the other defensive starters were brought in under Nolan, Singletary basically had Nolan's team. Singletary fought to start Mays, he lasted 4 or 5 games.. Singletary fought to have RG Chilo Rachal start.. he's currently a Chicago Bear.

    Mike Singletary was the worst coach in Niners' history.. and it isn't even close. It makes me CRINGE at the level of incompetence that he demonstrated.. his monday press conferences became MUST SEE events, because he couldn't tell you what went wrong, because he doesn't understand the Xs and Os and didn't understand everything he just saw on the field.. and to hear him try to BS his way out of things. My favorite was when he tried to convince everyone of his idiotic run-run-run-punt offense was, to paraphrase:"Don't you think Payton Manning would rather hand the ball off than have to throw the ball?" After you hear something like that, I just lost all respect for the guy. In 2010, in a game at KC, Singletary's offense was SO predicatable, the defense was CORRECTLY calling out the plays based on formation and personnel group.. it was a massacre.

    I can't ignore the reality, I lived it in horror with every other Niners' fan. It's really insulting to hear ANYBODY give Mike Singletary ANY credit for the Niners' current success. I will give Singletary props for straightening out Vernon Davis, he was another T.O. ready to explode til Singletary got him in check, Vernon Davis is still full of himself, but he's a team player.. and that's what counts.

    Singletary should stick to position coaching and make a living there, he'd never be a defensive coordinator, because he doesn't know Xs and Os.. he can't be a head coach because he can't help either the offensive or defensive coordiantor.. because he doesn't know how to scheme or draw up plays.. half the time he didn't even wear a headset, what was he going to say? How can you overrule somebody on a playcall when you don't understand the plays? Singletary was a disaster.. he robbed the fans of two seasons with his BS and probably shaved a couple years of the fans' lives w/ his maddening reasoning and PURELY idiotic ideas.

    I don't know if you can tell, but this is a SORE subject for most Niners' die-hard fans.
    Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

    Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

    Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.
    Actually Patrick Willis play ILB, more specifically Buck LineBacker. Was I in the huddles or practices.. no, where did my information come from.. people that were in the practices and in the huddles. Patrick Willis not learning technique from Mike Singletary was said by.. guess who.. Patrick Willis! If possible, go on youtube and look up Patrick Willis at Ole Miss, Eli's alma mater.. you can't teach 4.3 speed, you can't teach strength and you can't teach power.. he walked onto the field his first day with all that. Willis was a tackling machine in college.. he's a tackling machine in the pros, tackling in college and tackling in the pros seems like the same thing to me.

    If you think the Niners 'style' of defense resembles Singletary's style of play.. that's your opinion, you are entitled to it. I KNOW you are wrong because I am a die-hard fan in the truest since of the word, that seeks and soaks up every piece of information on the Niners.. I make it my business to know as much as possible, if that means anything.

    Singletary was an All-Pro and Hall of Fame L'backer, if you say our defense plays like a bunch of All-Pros, I'll take that as a compliment.. but what you think Mike Singletary did for the Niners has been overblown by the national mediots. Singletary as a MLB doesn't need to know Xs and Os, but if you are the head coach.. seems like you'd make it your business to know what's going on so if one of your coordinator calls a formation or play, you actually know what's going on. I think the players would appreciate it if the head coach could come to them and say a certain play will work and explain why.. instead of a guy yelling at them and trying to convince them that playing harder will win, instead of re-thinking the strategy or coming up with something that doesn't telegraph the play to the other side.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

    Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.
    Alright, I don't know much about the subject, but no team defense has ever been able to resemble the bears during buddy ryan's days as defensive coordinator there. Singletary and the teams he was in charge of in San Francisco did not run a 46, and his middle linebacker was not asked to do what he did during his years with the bears.

  9. #9
    Bench Player
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    Patrick Willis was a BEAST in college, kind of the reason why the Niners drafted him with the 11th pick in the draft. According to the PLAYERS, Singletary did not teach techique, he taught his LBs to have the right mind set to play the position. I don't think Patrick Willis need anymore motivation or getting the right mindset after the hell is childhood was. Singletary didn't mold Willis, tragedy and ultimate triumph did that.. you give Singletary WAY too much credit. Other than Willis, who did he mold? Not Takeo Spikes.. NaVorro Bowman? No, Bowman was lost his season under Singletary.. he was an ALL-PRO the season after Singletary left.

    Why would you think Singletary's handprints are all over the defense.. Singletary doesn't know any Xs and Os.. he didn't call one play, he didn't draw up any either. Greg Manusky was hired under Mike Nolan to run the defense, he was Singletary's defensive coordinator his entire time there.. if you want to give anybody credit, it's Nolan, if not Nolan then Manusky. Most coaches have formations or strategies posted on the walls of their office or classrooms.. Singletary had slogans. Singletary didn't believe in 'trying to trick anybody'.. Singletary didn't believe that a great scheme or plan won football games, he thought that whoever had the stronger will would win the game.. no technique or strategy.. just will.. how many games are won on sheer will?

    The ONLY guy Singletary ever campaigned to draft and start on defense was Taylor Mays, he didn't even last the whole season as a starter. All of the other defensive starters were brought in under Nolan, Singletary basically had Nolan's team. Singletary fought to start Mays, he lasted 4 or 5 games.. Singletary fought to have RG Chilo Rachal start.. he's currently a Chicago Bear.

    Mike Singletary was the worst coach in Niners' history.. and it isn't even close. It makes me CRINGE at the level of incompetence that he demonstrated.. his monday press conferences became MUST SEE events, because he couldn't tell you what went wrong, because he doesn't understand the Xs and Os and didn't understand everything he just saw on the field.. and to hear him try to BS his way out of things. My favorite was when he tried to convince everyone of his idiotic run-run-run-punt offense was, to paraphrase:"Don't you think Payton Manning would rather hand the ball off than have to throw the ball?" After you hear something like that, I just lost all respect for the guy. In 2010, in a game at KC, Singletary's offense was SO predicatable, the defense was CORRECTLY calling out the plays based on formation and personnel group.. it was a massacre.

    I can't ignore the reality, I lived it in horror with every other Niners' fan. It's really insulting to hear ANYBODY give Mike Singletary ANY credit for the Niners' current success. I will give Singletary props for straightening out Vernon Davis, he was another T.O. ready to explode til Singletary got him in check, Vernon Davis is still full of himself, but he's a team player.. and that's what counts.

    Singletary should stick to position coaching and make a living there, he'd never be a defensive coordinator, because he doesn't know Xs and Os.. he can't be a head coach because he can't help either the offensive or defensive coordiantor.. because he doesn't know how to scheme or draw up plays.. half the time he didn't even wear a headset, what was he going to say? How can you overrule somebody on a playcall when you don't understand the plays? Singletary was a disaster.. he robbed the fans of two seasons with his BS and probably shaved a couple years of the fans' lives w/ his maddening reasoning and PURELY idiotic ideas.

    I don't know if you can tell, but this is a SORE subject for most Niners' die-hard fans.
    This could not be said any better......100% true. 9er fans remember him pacing the sidelines with no headset, just that stupid wooden cross around his neck, wanting to kill him. He helped V.Davis, thats it.

    He will never get a shot at coordinator or HC again.
    "As of today (after watching houston against the jets), the 49ers are easily the best football team in the NFL. Easily."

    A quote from one of YOUR die hard Giants Fans:

    CDN_G-FAN
    All-Pro

  10. #10
    Didn't realize that about Nolan or that Singletary didn't want Willis. That does kind of say a lot lol. Taylor Mays too....woof.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts