+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much credit should Mike Singletary get for the 49ers?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    Singletary is somewhat responsible for the current team! his print is certainly on the defense; however i believe Harbaugh has molded Alex Smith into what he want him to be.

Smith is not a superstar but as evident by their record he has managed and guided them into one of best teams in the league.
    How do you figure Singletary's imprint in on the defense? He never called a SINGLE play.. the LBs admitted that Singletary really didn't teach technique, he taught having the 'right' attitude. The Niners have had a pretty good defense since Nolan was head coach, they've been really talented for a long time.. they didn't become 'elite' until Vic Fangio became defensive coordinator. Case in point, NaVorro Bowman back-up Takeo Spikes and was basically lost.. next season, Harbaugh is head coach.. goes one season lost.. next season he's an All-Pro, that's pretty stark. Singletary is a professional motivational speaker, it's what he did after playing and STILL does as a NFL coach.. but the words become hollow when the players realize he doesn't know anything about helping them win.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Singletary was a great player and solid no nonsense guy, he will be back coaching someday. Think he had much to do for their success!
    Singletary is the LB Coach for the Minnesota Viqueens, his old Bears' teammate, Leslie Frazier gave him a job after he was canned in San Fran'.

Quote Originally Posted by NASCARBLITZ View Post
    as i said in another thread this team was not built by harbaugh but yet he and others give himself credit for it.the peices were there long before harbaugh..ill give him credit for putting his magical spell helmet pounding on alex smith to get him to play decent..prob knocked some sense into him doing it so thats why he continues to do that every game like smith is a 9 year old playing pop warner ball..hey whatever hes gotta do to get his guy motivated.
    Harbaugh doesn't give himself credit for anything.. he credits the players. Harbaugh is a players' coach in the truest since of the word, you can tell he loves his job and it probably kills him that he can't play. The pieces were in place, but it takes more than talent to create a winner.. it takes the know-how to create the synergy needed to get 11 guys to think and see everything as one.

Actually, Alex Smith started playing at higher level at the end of 2010, after Singletary was fired.. but before Harbaugh was hired. Perhaps it was those few games that Harbaugh saw a QB that he could work with an mold into an elite player. If you consider being the 9th ranked passer last season and the #1 ranked QB decent.. what's spectacular? I don't think it's even about motivation, it's about putting the players in a position to succeed and then convincing the players what you are giving them is going to help them win.

Quote Originally Posted by GMan-67 View Post
    he made them a tough group, Harbaugh has made them a confident group and Harbaugh somehow got inside Alex Smith's head and convinced him he could play
    Singletary made them tough? Singletary got them injured. Your starting Center, David Baas was previously the starting Center for the Niners. Baas was injured during training camp participating in a stupid drill call the 'Nutcracker'. The drill didn't help with pass blocking or technique or anything like that.. it was designed to let two players offensive v. defensive, and see who was strong.. which one could 'impose their will'. Baas ended up fracturing his foot and missing the first 5 or 6 weeks of the season.

Singletary was a great player, but he's a MORON.

I would say Singletary = 20%. Singletary could not motivate these guys. There were significant coaching blunders here and there. The team seem to quit on Singletary. I love Mike Singletary the player but as a coach he didn't connect. Sometimes new management will come in and rub everyone the wrong way. Tha'st what it seemed like but I am a Giants fan, looking from the outside.

And to make my case even stronger, Alex Smith. . . . . .enough said!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    Mike Singletary wasn't even head coach for 2 full seasons.. Singletary was AGAINST drafting Patrick Willis, if that helps put his contributions in perspective.

The current core of the Niners were built by Mike Nolan, he originally wanted to establish a power-run offense and dominating defensive squad.. with hits and misses he built the team, he was actually a better GM than head coach. Singletary didn't bring in anybody as head coach, Niners' GM then VP of Personnel, Trent Baalke drafted RT Anthony Davis, LG Mike Iupati, and All-Pro ILB NoVarro Bowman.. Singletary INSISTED the Niners draft Taylor Mays, who is now languishing in Cincy.

Harbaugh didn't have to bring in much, the pieces were already there.. they just needed coaching. Harbaugh didn't build his team from scratch, but it was Harbaugh that convinced Alex Smith to stay.. if you credit Singletary, you have to give more credit to Mike Nolan, but the guy that has been scouting and helping making decisions on the draft and free agents is Trent Baalke, reigning NFL Executive of the Year.
    It doesn't matter who wanted to draft Willis. Singletary molded him at MLB, you can bet your bottom dollar on that one. Singletary's handprint is all over that defense. To say different is to ignore reality. Singletary's fatal flaw is that he was too conservative on offense. Harbaugh may not have brought in more pieces of the puzzle but he stepped up the offensive game planning and play calling tremendously.

I think Harbaugh helped customize the offense around what Alex Smith does well.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    It doesn't matter who wanted to draft Willis. Singletary molded him at MLB, you can bet your bottom dollar on that one. Singletary's handprint is all over that defense. To say different is to ignore reality. Singletary's fatal flaw is that he was too conservative on offense. Harbaugh may not have brought in more pieces of the puzzle but he stepped up the offensive game planning and play calling tremendously.
    Patrick Willis was a BEAST in college, kind of the reason why the Niners drafted him with the 11th pick in the draft. According to the PLAYERS, Singletary did not teach techique, he taught his LBs to have the right mind set to play the position. I don't think Patrick Willis need anymore motivation or getting the right mindset after the hell is childhood was. Singletary didn't mold Willis, tragedy and ultimate triumph did that.. you give Singletary WAY too much credit. Other than Willis, who did he mold? Not Takeo Spikes.. NaVorro Bowman? No, Bowman was lost his season under Singletary.. he was an ALL-PRO the season after Singletary left.

Why would you think Singletary's handprints are all over the defense.. Singletary doesn't know any Xs and Os.. he didn't call one play, he didn't draw up any either. Greg Manusky was hired under Mike Nolan to run the defense, he was Singletary's defensive coordinator his entire time there.. if you want to give anybody credit, it's Nolan, if not Nolan then Manusky. Most coaches have formations or strategies posted on the walls of their office or classrooms.. Singletary had slogans. Singletary didn't believe in 'trying to trick anybody'.. Singletary didn't believe that a great scheme or plan won football games, he thought that whoever had the stronger will would win the game.. no technique or strategy.. just will.. how many games are won on sheer will?

The ONLY guy Singletary ever campaigned to draft and start on defense was Taylor Mays, he didn't even last the whole season as a starter. All of the other defensive starters were brought in under Nolan, Singletary basically had Nolan's team. Singletary fought to start Mays, he lasted 4 or 5 games.. Singletary fought to have RG Chilo Rachal start.. he's currently a Chicago Bear.

Mike Singletary was the worst coach in Niners' history.. and it isn't even close. It makes me CRINGE at the level of incompetence that he demonstrated.. his monday press conferences became MUST SEE events, because he couldn't tell you what went wrong, because he doesn't understand the Xs and Os and didn't understand everything he just saw on the field.. and to hear him try to BS his way out of things. My favorite was when he tried to convince everyone of his idiotic run-run-run-punt offense was, to paraphrase:"Don't you think Payton Manning would rather hand the ball off than have to throw the ball?" After you hear something like that, I just lost all respect for the guy. In 2010, in a game at KC, Singletary's offense was SO predicatable, the defense was CORRECTLY calling out the plays based on formation and personnel group.. it was a massacre.

I can't ignore the reality, I lived it in horror with every other Niners' fan. It's really insulting to hear ANYBODY give Mike Singletary ANY credit for the Niners' current success. I will give Singletary props for straightening out Vernon Davis, he was another T.O. ready to explode til Singletary got him in check, Vernon Davis is still full of himself, but he's a team player.. and that's what counts.

Singletary should stick to position coaching and make a living there, he'd never be a defensive coordinator, because he doesn't know Xs and Os.. he can't be a head coach because he can't help either the offensive or defensive coordiantor.. because he doesn't know how to scheme or draw up plays.. half the time he didn't even wear a headset, what was he going to say? How can you overrule somebody on a playcall when you don't understand the plays? Singletary was a disaster.. he robbed the fans of two seasons with his BS and probably shaved a couple years of the fans' lives w/ his maddening reasoning and PURELY idiotic ideas.

I don't know if you can tell, but this is a SORE subject for most Niners' die-hard fans.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    I think Harbaugh helped customize the offense around what Alex Smith does well.
    The offense that Jim Harbaugh ran at Stanford with Andrew Luck is IDENTICIAL to the one he's running in San Francisco with Alex Smith.. Harbaugh's offense in college and pros are built on a power running game w/ the playaction pass.. that has not changed. At Stanford, Harbaugh's team ran the ball more in Luck's first two seasons than they passed, but even in Luck's most pass-happy season, Stanford run/pass was 50/50.

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    Patrick Willis was a BEAST in college, kind of the reason why the Niners drafted him with the 11th pick in the draft. According to the PLAYERS, Singletary did not teach techique, he taught his LBs to have the right mind set to play the position. I don't think Patrick Willis need anymore motivation or getting the right mindset after the hell is childhood was. Singletary didn't mold Willis, tragedy and ultimate triumph did that.. you give Singletary WAY too much credit. Other than Willis, who did he mold? Not Takeo Spikes.. NaVorro Bowman? No, Bowman was lost his season under Singletary.. he was an ALL-PRO the season after Singletary left.

Why would you think Singletary's handprints are all over the defense.. Singletary doesn't know any Xs and Os.. he didn't call one play, he didn't draw up any either. Greg Manusky was hired under Mike Nolan to run the defense, he was Singletary's defensive coordinator his entire time there.. if you want to give anybody credit, it's Nolan, if not Nolan then Manusky. Most coaches have formations or strategies posted on the walls of their office or classrooms.. Singletary had slogans. Singletary didn't believe in 'trying to trick anybody'.. Singletary didn't believe that a great scheme or plan won football games, he thought that whoever had the stronger will would win the game.. no technique or strategy.. just will.. how many games are won on sheer will?

The ONLY guy Singletary ever campaigned to draft and start on defense was Taylor Mays, he didn't even last the whole season as a starter. All of the other defensive starters were brought in under Nolan, Singletary basically had Nolan's team. Singletary fought to start Mays, he lasted 4 or 5 games.. Singletary fought to have RG Chilo Rachal start.. he's currently a Chicago Bear.

Mike Singletary was the worst coach in Niners' history.. and it isn't even close. It makes me CRINGE at the level of incompetence that he demonstrated.. his monday press conferences became MUST SEE events, because he couldn't tell you what went wrong, because he doesn't understand the Xs and Os and didn't understand everything he just saw on the field.. and to hear him try to BS his way out of things. My favorite was when he tried to convince everyone of his idiotic run-run-run-punt offense was, to paraphrase:"Don't you think Payton Manning would rather hand the ball off than have to throw the ball?" After you hear something like that, I just lost all respect for the guy. In 2010, in a game at KC, Singletary's offense was SO predicatable, the defense was CORRECTLY calling out the plays based on formation and personnel group.. it was a massacre.

I can't ignore the reality, I lived it in horror with every other Niners' fan. It's really insulting to hear ANYBODY give Mike Singletary ANY credit for the Niners' current success. I will give Singletary props for straightening out Vernon Davis, he was another T.O. ready to explode til Singletary got him in check, Vernon Davis is still full of himself, but he's a team player.. and that's what counts.

Singletary should stick to position coaching and make a living there, he'd never be a defensive coordinator, because he doesn't know Xs and Os.. he can't be a head coach because he can't help either the offensive or defensive coordiantor.. because he doesn't know how to scheme or draw up plays.. half the time he didn't even wear a headset, what was he going to say? How can you overrule somebody on a playcall when you don't understand the plays? Singletary was a disaster.. he robbed the fans of two seasons with his BS and probably shaved a couple years of the fans' lives w/ his maddening reasoning and PURELY idiotic ideas.

I don't know if you can tell, but this is a SORE subject for most Niners' die-hard fans.
    Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.

+ Reply to Thread