+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How much credit should Mike Singletary get for the 49ers?

Quote Originally Posted by Six-Ace-Deuce View Post
    The offense that Jim Harbaugh ran at Stanford with Andrew Luck is IDENTICIAL to the one he's running in San Francisco with Alex Smith.. Harbaugh's offense in college and pros are built on a power running game w/ the playaction pass.. that has not changed. At Stanford, Harbaugh's team ran the ball more in Luck's first two seasons than they passed, but even in Luck's most pass-happy season, Stanford run/pass was 50/50.
    Okay, but this type of simplistic offense plays to Smith's strengths. He struggles to get the ball to receivers down the field on deep routes. KG's offense with the Giants would be a bad fit for Smith.

How do you figure Singletary's imprint in on the defense? He never called a SINGLE play.. the LBs admitted that Singletary really didn't teach technique, he taught having the 'right' attitude. The Niners have had a pretty good defense since Nolan was head coach, they've been really talented for a long time.. they didn't become 'elite' until Vic Fangio became defensive coordinator. Case in point, NaVorro Bowman back-up Takeo Spikes and was basically lost.. next season, Harbaugh is head coach.. goes one season lost.. next season he's an All-Pro, that's pretty stark. Singletary is a professional motivational speaker, it's what he did after playing and STILL does as a NFL coach.. but the words become hollow when the players realize he doesn't know anything about helping them win.
    i would think that as having an imprint!

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.
    Actually Patrick Willis play ILB, more specifically Buck LineBacker. Was I in the huddles or practices.. no, where did my information come from.. people that were in the practices and in the huddles. Patrick Willis not learning technique from Mike Singletary was said by.. guess who.. Patrick Willis! If possible, go on youtube and look up Patrick Willis at Ole Miss, Eli's alma mater.. you can't teach 4.3 speed, you can't teach strength and you can't teach power.. he walked onto the field his first day with all that. Willis was a tackling machine in college.. he's a tackling machine in the pros, tackling in college and tackling in the pros seems like the same thing to me.

If you think the Niners 'style' of defense resembles Singletary's style of play.. that's your opinion, you are entitled to it. I KNOW you are wrong because I am a die-hard fan in the truest since of the word, that seeks and soaks up every piece of information on the Niners.. I make it my business to know as much as possible, if that means anything.

Singletary was an All-Pro and Hall of Fame L'backer, if you say our defense plays like a bunch of All-Pros, I'll take that as a compliment.. but what you think Mike Singletary did for the Niners has been overblown by the national mediots. Singletary as a MLB doesn't need to know Xs and Os, but if you are the head coach.. seems like you'd make it your business to know what's going on so if one of your coordinator calls a formation or play, you actually know what's going on. I think the players would appreciate it if the head coach could come to them and say a certain play will work and explain why.. instead of a guy yelling at them and trying to convince them that playing harder will win, instead of re-thinking the strategy or coming up with something that doesn't telegraph the play to the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue1971 View Post
    i would think that as having an imprint!
    Opposed to what, the wrong attitude? Singletary taught that to Patrick Willis and the LBs.. how does that filter to the rest of the team? Willis is the only starter who still a Niners when Singletary was the LB coach. Speeches and peep talks only go so far, executing proper technique is why Ray Lewis is still effective in his 16 season, that's the difference between a 16 year career and a guy who's undisciplined with tons of talent.

Mike Singletary.. GREAT Middle L'backer, terrible head coach. Don't believe everything you read in the national media.. alot of what they put out there is rarely accurate, you have to look for and read the local guys to get a true feel for what's going on. I wish I could give you guys links to the articles about Singletary's incompetence as a head coach. I know you guys don't know me, and I have little credibility here.. but TRUST ME.. Singletary was a NIGHTMARE!

Actually Patrick Willis play ILB, more specifically Buck LineBacker. Was I in the huddles or practices.. no, where did my information come from.. people that were in the practices and in the huddles. Patrick Willis not learning technique from Mike Singletary was said by.. guess who.. Patrick Willis! If possible, go on youtube and look up Patrick Willis at Ole Miss, Eli's alma mater.. you can't teach 4.3 speed, you can't teach strength and you can't teach power.. he walked onto the field his first day with all that. Willis was a tackling machine in college.. he's a tackling machine in the pros, tackling in college and tackling in the pros seems like the same thing to me.

If you think the Niners 'style' of defense resembles Singletary's style of play.. that's your opinion, you are entitled to it. I KNOW you are wrong because I am a die-hard fan in the truest since of the word, that seeks and soaks up every piece of information on the Niners.. I make it my business to know as much as possible, if that means anything.

Singletary was an All-Pro and Hall of Fame L'backer, if you say our defense plays like a bunch of All-Pros, I'll take that as a compliment.. but what you think Mike Singletary did for the Niners has been overblown by the national mediots. Singletary as a MLB doesn't need to know Xs and Os, but if you are the head coach.. seems like you'd make it your business to know what's going on so if one of your coordinator calls a formation or play, you actually know what's going on. I think the players would appreciate it if the head coach could come to them and say a certain play will work and explain why.. instead of a guy yelling at them and trying to convince them that playing harder will win, instead of re-thinking the strategy or coming up with something that doesn't telegraph the play to the other side.
    I'm saying your defense play's with the same tenacity as Mike when he played. They are known as one of the most physical defenses in the league. Teams a lot of times embody the spirit of thier coahch with their play. It just seems like more than a coincidence that Mike was a tough hard nose MLB that imposed his will on the other team and his defense turns out to play in the same manner. Mike new X's and O's PERIOD. Whether or not he was able to teach X's and O's is a different story. If your a defensive coach you usually have nuanced knowledge about the defense and you hire an offensive coordinator that knows the job. Head coaching has a lot of responsibilities. You have to be able to delegate. Look I get it. Your team wasn't playing well and you need a scapegoat, but Mike knows the game and understands defense like few people ever will. Maybe you should watch some old Chicago tapes. See a MUST for any good ILB or MLB is film study which leads to great play diagnosis. MLB is the QB of the defense. To say Mike, a former MLB, didn't understand X's and O's is ludicrous.

Pat Willis was drafted to play MLB if you don't think that one of the greatest MLB of all time was helpful in him mastering the position your showing off your bias. What your daying doens't jive. Mike Singeltary would be the first All-pro MLB that didn't know X's and O's. There is no MLB that was that good that doesn't know X's and O's. I don't care what Willis did in college the pro game is different.

Your talking as if you were in the huddles and were at the practices- you were not. I like the Giants but I couldn't give you credible info on how any of them were trained or learned their positions b/c I was not on the team. It's no coincidence that Niners style of D resempled Singletary's style of play.
    Alright, I don't know much about the subject, but no team defense has ever been able to resemble the bears during buddy ryan's days as defensive coordinator there. Singletary and the teams he was in charge of in San Francisco did not run a 46, and his middle linebacker was not asked to do what he did during his years with the bears.

To say Mike, a former MLB, didn't understand X's and O's is ludicrous.
    That's why hiring Mike Singletary was a mistake, he didn't know Xs and Os.. and if you don't believe me you can do your own research, why don't you go to any Niners' board and pose that question: "Did Mike Singletary know Xs and Os".. they'll all tell you NO! That's the joke in the Niners' tragedy.. the head coach didn't know the Xs and Os! The fact Mike Singletary didn't have any type of head coaching experience or even coordinator experience prior to being hired was a joke! Singletary being named head coach was a PR move as it was a dumb football move! Trust me, the Niners' top brass has made TONS of mistakes since firing Mariucci, they've gotten their stuff together and turned it around. Ask around my friend, you are dead WRONG if you think Singletary knew anything, he truly didn't.. this is documented in many news stories.. I'm sure if you googled it, you'd find your answer.

FOR PETE'S SAKE.. when the offense or defense was getting whipped, like most coaches he'd take a timeout.. unfortunately, instead of strategizing a play or formulating a scheme to take advantage of what the defense was doing.. Mike Singletary was giving inspirational speeches! This has been documented. Singletary is probably a great motivational speaker, horrible head coach.. mediocre position coach.. he don't teach technique, just inspirational words!

I get it, you guys wish Singletary was the head coach for sunday's game.. fortunately for all Niners' fans.. and unfortunately for gints' fans.. he's not.

FOR PETE'S SAKE.. when the offense or defense was getting whipped, like most coaches he'd take a timeout.. unfortunately, instead of strategizing a play or formulating a scheme to take advantage of what the defense was doing.. Mike Singletary was giving inspirational speeches! This has been documented. Singletary is probably a great motivational speaker, horrible head coach.. mediocre position coach.. he don't teach technique, just inspirational words!
    I knew more about Singletary as a player than a coach but what I did see was his mishandling of the media and how he tried to come in like gangbusters as a disciplinarian. I don't think he had the charisma to lead a team and seemed to think his experience as a player was enough to succeed.

Harbaugh was pretty successful as a quarterback, one time holding the nickname Captain Comeback. He may not have been the best but he was definitely a tough one and used to take beatings on a regular in Chicago and Indy....even more so than Jeff George.

While I think he is arrogant, I definitely think he was the right guy for Alex Smith. He turned him into a Trent Dilfer style quarterback, who manages the game but is not one who is relied upon to win the game.

+ Reply to Thread