+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eli Manning's toughness impresses 49ers

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/14/490...l#mi_rss=49ers

Excerpt: "The beating the 49ers gave Eli Manning last Jan. 22 was written all over the quarterback's once-white jersey.

The 49ers hit him 18 times, including six sacks, the most Manning had absorbed in any game last season. By the end of the NFC Championship Game, grime speckled his face, his left shoulder was a dingy gray, and his left wristband and arm were caked in Candlestick Park mud.

The problem for the 49ers is Manning kept getting up.

"A lot of people don't give him the respect he deserves," said Manning's chief tormentor that day, defensive end Justin Smith. "I think he's definitely one of the top three, four quarterbacks in the league. … We're going to have to have the same philosophy going into this one that we had in that last one – hold him down."

The Manning vs. Smith & Co. battle is such a central theme in today's game that the two sides began fighting it days ago." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

It'll be interesting to see if the Niners stick to their usual gameplan in this one. Perhaps they'll mix up their coverages and try to confuse him.

Key word, try to confuse him.. not going to happen though!

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if the Niners stick to their usual gameplan in this one. Perhaps they'll mix up their coverages and try to confuse him.
    They mix up their coverages every game..

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    From the perspective of the 49ers, what they do works pretty well. I think they will come out playing their game until we make them change during the game.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Eli will once again be the key (no surprise there). If Nicks is healthy, the option route for Cruz should be open.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    From the perspective of the 49ers, what they do works pretty well. I think they will come out playing their game until we make them change during the game.
    Got to agree Roanoke, these guys are going to stack the box and get after Eli, I just hope that Gilbride has a little something that will throw them off their game plan.

Veteran
    "A lot of people don't give him the respect he deserves," said Manning's chief tormentor that day, defensive end Justin Smith. "I think he's definitely one of the top three, four quarterbacks in the league. … We're going to have to have the same philosophy going into this one that we had in that last one – hold him down."
    Smith said hold. Interesting.

That NFCCG sealed away any doubt I had about Eli being the greatest QB to ever play pro football aside from Joe Montana. Anyone that can start in the NFL can make the great throws given enough time in the pocket. But very few QBs could stay completely calm in the pocket in the face of such pressure. A lot of QBs take off running. Some just crumble under the pressure. The Great Tom Brady looks pretty average when facing the heat. Not Eli. If he's on his game, he can't be knocked off it. Pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Eli's best friend is our running game. I pray we can establish it. If he has to drop back 60+ times again it's going to be a long day for Eli.