+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Our Red Zone Performance

We left 12 points on the field yesterday. I was very unhappy with alot of the play calls in the red zone. We have the ability to move the ball down field at will, yet when we get in the red zone it almost seems as if Gilbride moves away from what works very well and 3 times we ended up with field goals on a very short field. Whats the deal with his play calls?
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

Eli is the one deciding run or pass down there.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY6G-MAN View Post
    We left 12 points on the field yesterday. I was very unhappy with alot of the play calls in the red zone. We have the ability to move the ball down field at will, yet when we get in the red zone it almost seems as if Gilbride moves away from what works very well and 3 times we ended up with field goals on a very short field. Whats the deal with his play calls?
    I think this one will be lost in the euphoria of the win but it is a reason for concern. Rolle's INT's gave us the ball on the 10 yard line the first time and on the 5 the second time and both times we could not gain a single yard! If this is not a reason for concern, I am not sure what is. Killdrive's lack of imagination and his predictability is apparent. I just do not understand why Coughlin does not address this because it happens consistently. I guess some things will never change. Good thing our defense showed up and the secondary covered SF's WR very well. Props to Fewell's scheme. It worked for once!

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    If that's the case then someone needs to step in and fix that because whatever it is, it is not working.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Are you sure? Its not like the 2 min drill. I do understand Eli can call audibles, but I dont think Eli was making the play calls yesterday. I could be wrong.
    "KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

Are you sure? Its not like the 2 min drill. I do understand Eli can call audibles, but I dont think Eli was making the play calls yesterday. I could be wrong.
    Eli is always making the calls. He gets multiple plays in the huddle. That's what "kill kill" means. They are going to the #2 play.

Eli always has at least one option to audible
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-15-2012 at 10:55 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I've know about making plays and feel that KG doesn't have that many plays for short distances. I think he needs to make some that are designed for short distance. One of the things he needs to add is the delay run and some screens. He adds those to his play calling will give him more options. Those two plays I explained are set up plays and look like other type of plays like the draw play that looks like a pass play. You also have fake draw plays etc.

Another thing could be big receiving talent. Receivers who are good at blocking. Those type of guys can come off their blocks and get at open spots mixed with the run plays can help in the redzone a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    I've know about making plays and feel that KG doesn't have that many plays for short distances. I think he needs to make some that are designed for short distance. One of the things he needs to add is the delay run and some screens. He adds those to his play calling will give him more options. Those two plays I explained are set up plays and look like other type of plays like the draw play that looks like a pass play. You also have fake draw plays etc.

Another thing could be big receiving talent. Receivers who are good at blocking. Those type of guys can come off their blocks and get at open spots mixed with the run plays can help in the redzone a lot.
    That's what we did last week against Cleveland. Cruz pretended he was going to block and then ran a slant route I believe.

Let's go.

I'm curious if anyone has looked at QB redzone effectiveness. I do think Eli struggles down there a bit, but perhaps he is around league average