+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Antrel Rolle, not Justin Tuck, is the leader of this defense

Antrel Rolle is a very vocal (sometimes a little too vocal) veteran who plays his *** off every down. Justin Tuck hasn't played hard on one down all year. When Rolle plays well, this defense responds. When Rolle starts talking, this defense responds. Lets face it, Justin was never a leader and he seems like he doesn't even want to play football anymore. Rolle is a guy this team seems to rally around. He knows how to get guys fired up. Look at last year when he called out Tuck and Tuck responded. He may blow a few plays, but at least he's always giving it his all. I'd like to see the coaching staff and the media finally acknowledge Rolle as the Giants defensive leader that he rightfully is. He was not an FA bust, and while he may be contributing in ways we didn't exactly expect, the man is contributing and worth every penny of his contract. Any thoughts on this?

I'd like to believe that you were right, but I wouldn't give in the towel on Justin Tuck just yet. He might be very vocal inside the locker room.

All-Pro
    To a degree I like Rolle's position as one of the D leaders. I dont agree with what you said about Tuck. I think he still wants to play and when you do see fottage of him talking to the team he sounds totally into it....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

I really want to believe that, but I can't explain what has happened to Justin Tuck. You don't go from arguably the best DE in the league to a non-factor in 2 seasons for no reason. Yeah he's been banged up, but apparently he's healthy this year. The man just seems defeated in interviews, even when the defense plays well. Either he's severely depressed or he doesn't care about the game of football anymore. He never wanted to be a leader anyway. That's not the kind of guy Justin is.

Either way, Rolle has been a vocal leader for the past two years and has really matured as a person and a player. I think it's time to give him the role as the leader of this defense. He's earned it and he can handle it. This defense really responds to him and I think they have a lot of respect for him.

Veteran
    Tuck hasn't played hard on a down all year? Are you out of your mind - to question the results is one thing but the man is playing his butt off. It doesn't always go the way we as fans want it to. Tuck is gettting older and has been nicked up for the last 2 years. How quickly you forget his saftey and then another sack against the pats in the superbowl - PLEASE REMEMBER this game invites fans to think "what have you done for me lately" but those fans who really know they game can take a step back and look at a full career before juding a guy game to game. Tuck does not take plays off at all. You wanna argue he is starting to lose it a bit fine - but why question his work ethic.

As for being a leader - your claim is the team plays well when trel does? Umm then why not just say JPP is the leader - since he has been the most dominant force for the last year and a quarter - heres why - at team meeting tuck does the talking - pregame tuck gives the speeches - tuck wheres the C on his chest - cause unlike you the giants believe he is their leader. Trel's talking has mainly come through the media - and it has hyped the giants at times and thats great but in house this is tucks team. Again rolle played a great game yesterday - save for his poor coverage on moss - but really great other then that and tuck didnt show up in the stat sheet - that doesnt mean he isnt their leader and doesnt mean rolle is just cause he played well. Also doesn't mean there has to be one leader. Ultimately its coughlin and eli and tuck on d.

Rolle says more, but Tuck is a leader on the D and he is playing hard ... .just not getting the important stats .... which is a concern, but he came on strong last season and im hoping he does this season as well .... i also hope his neck/shoulder things are OK, but dont sleep on Mr. Tuck he was arguably the MVP of SB 42 ... he tormented Brady all night long

ha, here's a thought, maybe he needs to revise his facemask to see a little better

but to criticize any player when we all but shut out an opponent that had been putting up 40 spots ... that's just crazy talk
    Apologize to Melo 5

Quote Originally Posted by GMan-67 View Post
    Rolle says more, but Tuck is a leader on the D and he is playing hard ... .just not getting the important stats .... which is a concern, but he came on strong last season and im hoping he does this season as well .... i also hope he neck/shoulder things are OK, but dont sleep on Mr. Tuck he was arguably the MVP of SB 42 ... he tormented Brady all night long
    +1. Rolle is a good vet who knows how to fire up the youngins, but don't be completely fooled. Tuck leads this D.

Meh, i love how Rolle plays, but i still don't think we have a traditional leader on defense. i still remember hims publically questioning the coaching staff. then again, who needs a 'traditional' leader?

Eli isn't a 'traditional' leader on offense, but no one would question his leadership now would they?

I agree, something going on with Tuck this year. Same as last year, he was hurt last year so maybe hes dinged up again? Rolle is certainly the vocal leader, he never misses a chance to drop a mack daddy quote on an unsuspecting reporter!

Based on what Tuck said in the "Road To The Super Bowl" DVD, I think he struggles on and off with mental depression. He actually said so in the DVD. He said that his injuries and the loss of his uncle and grandfather brought on a state of depression and that he wasn't sure he wanted to continue to play football. I could be totally wrong (I love Tuck) but I think this might explain his up and down cycles.