+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tom Couglin or Bill Parcells? Best Giants' Coach on the modern era is...

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/1...-modern-era-is

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin passed Bill Parcells on Sunday to become the second-winningest coach in New York Giants' franchise history. Coughlin now has 78 victories as Giants' head man, while Parcells has 77.

Steve Owen is the all-time leader in victories with 153 having coached the Giants from 1930-1953. In the modern era of Giants' football, however, Parcells has long been considered the best coach the Giants have ever had.

Is it time to change that thinking? Has Coughlin now not only surpassed Parcells' victory total, but ascended to the throne of best Giants' coach ever in the Super Bowl era?

For long-time Giants' fans the emotional answer to this question may always be Parcells. There is always something special about being first, and it was the Big Tuna who coached the Giants when they emerged from the darkest period in franchise history to once again become a dominant NFL team. The first two Giants' Super Bowls were won under Parcells' direction." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Love the Tuna, but he kinda screwed us in the end by letting BB leave and then sticking us with Ray @&^%$%& Handley

Parcells still has a better winning% and one more div title. BUt the very fact that there is a discussion about it shows they are both worhty of the "great coach" lable.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Parcells still has a better winning% and one more div title. BUt the very fact that there is a discussion about it shows they are both worhty of the "great coach" lable.
    I think the manner in which Parcells left, to include recommending Ray Handley as the successor, puts him behind Coughlin in my mind.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think the manner in which Parcells left, to include recommending Ray Handley as the successor, puts him behind Coughlin in my mind.
    What if you took that out of the equation, and just looked at the body of work of Parcells.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/1...-modern-era-is

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin passed Bill Parcells on Sunday to become the second-winningest coach in New York Giants' franchise history. Coughlin now has 78 victories as Giants' head man, while Parcells has 77.

Steve Owen is the all-time leader in victories with 153 having coached the Giants from 1930-1953. In the modern era of Giants' football, however, Parcells has long been considered the best coach the Giants have ever had.

Is it time to change that thinking? Has Coughlin now not only surpassed Parcells' victory total, but ascended to the throne of best Giants' coach ever in the Super Bowl era?

For long-time Giants' fans the emotional answer to this question may always be Parcells. There is always something special about being first, and it was the Big Tuna who coached the Giants when they emerged from the darkest period in franchise history to once again become a dominant NFL team. The first two Giants' Super Bowls were won under Parcells' direction." Read more...
    Welll they both had a game changing player in their pocket when the won their SB rings. Right now it's a draw. If TC get's another before his game changer leaves then advantage TC.

The Giants have won 4 Super Bowls with Belichick....

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    What if you took that out of the equation, and just looked at the body of work of Parcells.
    I can't ignore that, its part of who he was

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
    Love the Tuna, but he kinda screwed us in the end by letting BB leave and then sticking us with Ray @&^%$%& Handley
    Even worse than that.

He told people hours before SB XXV he was "out of here".

Yet he didn't quit until AFTER rookie mini camp (I think it was late May), leaving the Maras holding the bag. Most of his coaching staff had left and it was too late to hire a new staff. Handley was just the fall guy.

Tuna repeated this same betrayal everywhere he's been. At least TC is loyal.

I guess Tom has to win #3 to settle this debate.

I completely agree. His leaving and his flirtation with the Falcons . . . . you always got the feeling that Parcells wasn't here for the long haul.. . . . that he was always on the lookout for his next job. TC, on the other hand, has fought for this job and you get the feeling that he will have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the NYG HC's office. Both great coaches, but for me TC's "true blueness" tips the scales in his favor . . . .
    Last edited by GMENAGAIN; 10-16-2012 at 05:09 PM.