+ Reply to Thread
Page 482 of 491 FirstFirst ... 382432472480481482483484 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 4909
  1. #4811
    All-Pro Carter.525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omaha!, NJ
    Posts
    8,916
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    This would be freaking awesome!
    agreed, he's only 31
    80

  2. #4812
    Quote Originally Posted by kNicksGiants View Post
    i'm sure this news will make some of the naysayers a little less depressed....

    JR's contract is in fact a 3 year deal with the 3rd year being a player option.

    another contract that lines up beautifully with the 2015 reboot (if felton and jr opt out, which i they will i think)

    even if the the knicks extend melo after this year, he'll be the only contract on the books other than the rookies.
    Why would I be depressed by that, its fantastic if its true but I havent seen that anywhere. Everything written has been 3 years plus a 4th year player option.

    Im not sure if this is right but a player option may benefit the knicks instead of a 2 year deal. If JR declines the option I wonder if we maintain his birds rights being able to go over the cap to resign him. I know if its a 2 year deal we would have a cap hold and have to renounce his bird rights if we wanted the cap room. Im not sure if the player option gets around that rule

  3. #4813
    Now I see it on Twitter , wow this is outstanding. It had nothing to do with the Knicks being smart and setting up for 2015. It was JR who wanted the shorter deal, Thank U once again Mr. Jr Smith I hope Carmelo takes a cue from u and signs a cap friendlier deal to pull in more players. If Carmelo plays for 15-17 million instead of 23-25 the Knicks will be in very good shape salary cap wise.
    I still believe the Knicks will do something stupid next offseason and trade for Steve Nash or Rudy Gay its been their calling card for years to rush things.Even under Grunwald with the Tyson/Billups /Amnesty fiasco.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 07-17-2013 at 07:08 AM.

  4. #4814
    melo isn't signing for 15-17... i think around 20-22 is more realistic.

    as far as JR's bird rights i discussed this on realGM, they really won't be valuable anyway considering the knicks will have plenty of cap space to sign him outright if they want to. i expect him to leave though because he'll be looking to cash in on one last pay day.

    knicks need to max out the cap in 2015 and then match shump's offer sheet he signs with another team. i think that would be the ideal way to do it. melo + 1 max + some solid role players + shump, maybe hardaway, etc.

  5. #4815
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Now I see it on Twitter , wow this is outstanding. It had nothing to do with the Knicks being smart and setting up for 2015. It was JR who wanted the shorter deal, Thank U once again Mr. Jr Smith I hope Carmelo takes a cue from u and signs a cap friendlier deal to pull in more players. If Carmelo plays for 15-17 million instead of 23-25 the Knicks will be in very good shape salary cap wise.
    I still believe the Knicks will do something stupid next offseason and trade for Steve Nash or Rudy Gay its been their calling card for years to rush things.Even under Grunwald with the Tyson/Billups /Amnesty fiasco.
    i don't see the tyson/billups deal as really comparable. nobody thought he would even be available because most assumed dallas would want to retain him. when it became available the knicks jumped on it. i don't think that situation is comparable to the 2015 cap space. also amnestying amare seemed like a dumb idea as he was coming off a great season. plus the idea that dolan would pay amare 25 mil per year multiple years to play for another team at the minimum is crazy and was never gonna happen. tyson was supposed to be the final piece, but amare hasn't stayed healthy.

    like i said before dolan values loyalty. stat helped bring the knicks back to relevancy.
    Last edited by kNicksGiants; 07-17-2013 at 09:11 AM.

  6. #4816
    Quote Originally Posted by kNicksGiants View Post
    i don't see the tyson/billups deal as really comparable. nobody thought he would even be available because most assumed dallas would want to retain him. when it became available the knicks jumped on it. i don't think that situation is comparable to the 2015 cap space. also amnestying amare seemed like a dumb idea as he was coming off a great season. plus the idea that dolan would pay amare 25 mil per year multiple years to play for another team at the minimum is crazy and was never gonna happen. tyson was supposed to be the final piece, but amare hasn't stayed healthy.

    like i said before dolan values loyalty. stat helped bring the knicks back to relevancy.
    Who said the Amnesty had to be used right then they could of used it this year or when Paul was able to be A FA after Amare broke down, Had the Knicks not used the player option on Billups they could of got Chandler anyway. Im sorry there is no way to defend using a player option for 15 million then amnesty the player months later its stupid, really stupid.If they let Billups run out Im positive Chris Paul is a Knick. He wouldnt of used his player option and the Knicks would be a even better then they are now.
    Plus who didnt think Amare was going to break down at some point, not to keep it was just bad business. When that contract was signed it was pretty much guaranteed we would get no more then 3 good years instead we got 40 games

    I hate this argument about Amare.How is he loyal at all. He took a check no 1 else would give him because every other team knew better. He didnt do the Knicks any favors. In fact he is the biggest reason they arent able to win the title. Could u imagine if that 20 million was Chris Paul. We might of won the championship last year.I would of amnestied him this season just to get a full Mid level exception and sign and trades.
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 07-17-2013 at 06:11 PM.

  7. #4817
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Who said the Amnesty had to be used right then they could of used it this year or when Paul was able to be A FA after Amare broke down, Had the Knicks not used the player option on Billups they could of got Chandler anyway. Im sorry there is no way to defend using a player option for 15 million then amnesty the player months later its stupid, really stupid.If they let Billups run out Im positive Chris Paul is a Knick. He wouldnt of used his player option and the Knicks would be a even better then they are now.
    Plus who didnt think Amare was going to break down at some point, not to keep it was just bad business. When that contract was signed it was pretty much guaranteed we would get no more then 3 good years instead we got 40 games

    I hate this argument about Amare all he did was take a check no 1 else would give him because every other team knew better. He didnt do the Knicks any favors. In fact he is the biggest reason they arent able to win the title. Could u imagine if that 20 million was Chris Paul. We might of won the championship last year.
    using the amnesty on amare this year is still paying 50 mil to a guy that will be on another team. dolan isn't doing that regardless.

    also not picking up billups' option didn't fully clear his cap number, i forget the exact number but it was something like 6 mil i forget, that would have still counted against the cap. so if they didn't pick up his option they wouldn't have enough to sign chandler. knicks would have been a lotto team that year with no draft pick if they went into the season with no billups or tyson. houston would have loved it lol

    as far as cp3, he would have needed to take a lot less money to come here. like i said before the knicks were informed by his agent it wasn't gonna happen which is why they went in another direction.

    the reason i say stat brought the knicks back to relevancy is because no way does melo want anything to do with the knicks if they were still a bad team. he wanted the knicks because he wanted new york, plus he wanted to play with amare as he was beasting that year and the knicks were decent.

    it would have been viewed as nothing but a complete failure if the knicks didn't end up with any "star" in 2010. walsh spent years dumping players and trading away assets to create cap space for the "summer of lebron" plus wade, bosh, stat, etc. if the knicks came away with nothing what then? does melo end up a knick? doubt it.


    let's just enjoy this team for what it is. a very good, competitive team that can beat any team on any night. will they win a championship in these next 2 years? maybe not. but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel in terms of massive amounts of cap space for 2015.

    walsh is bum by the way and got way too much credit for what he did here. he essentially gave away quality players and threw in picks on top of it. grunwald has done a far better job so far. he has only traded 2nd round picks in all these deals other than the 2016 first which denver owned the rights to swap anyways. the camby/kidd signings didn't work out but on paper seemed like quality moves. in hindsight we probably should have gotten some young guys instead but it is what it is.

    last year was an incredible season. losing in the 2nd round was disappointing but it doesn't completely take away from all the things the team accomplished. hopefully the knicks build on that and are even better this year. i don't see why not other than health. on paper the additions of bargs and artest plus the rookies is better than novak/kidd/camby/cope.
    Last edited by kNicksGiants; 07-17-2013 at 06:28 PM.

  8. #4818
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I would of amnestied him this season just to get a full Mid level exception and sign and trades.
    knicks weren't that much above the apron going into this offseason since kidd retired. if they wanted to they could have dumped camby/novak for cap space and gained the full mle and ability to sign n trade.

  9. #4819
    our summer league team is so trash it's embarrassing. to be fair hardaway isn't playing... but still.


    tyler looks good though. he could be a solid bench big for us with some upside. still only 22 years old.

  10. #4820
    All-Pro Carter.525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Omaha!, NJ
    Posts
    8,916
    Knicks worked this guy out, Bobby Brown.. He played in the NBA for a few season.. Looks good to me

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz9u7Cmb-H8
    80

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts