+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coughlin On Return Of Diehl and Canty

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...of-diehl-canty

Excerpt: "Two veterans trying to work their way back into the Giants' starting lineup are offensive tackle David Diehl and defensive tackle Chris Canty.

Diehl, who suffered a knee injury in Week 2 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, returned to action last Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers, getting some snaps as an extra tight end in the Giants' jumbo package.

"He's very close," coach Tom Coughlin said Thursday, when asked if Diehl is fully healthy.

However, when, or even if, Diehl will regain his starting job at right tackle is unclear. The Giants' offensive line, with veteran Sean Locklear filling in for Diehl at right tackle, has played very well of late. The Giants have rushed for 392 yards the past two weeks, and quarterback Eli Manning hasn't been sacked in the past three games.

Coughlin gave no guarantees about Diehl getting back his starting job. "It's a continuous operation; he's getting more time practicing and feeling better about it," Coughlin said. "We'll see how it goes."

Diehl had played in 142 of a possible 146 regular season games since his rookie season with the Giants in 2003, prior to the injury in Week 2 this year, and had started all 142 of those games.

As for Canty, the eight-year veteran spent the first six weeks of the season on the Physically Unable to Perform list, because of offseason knee surgery. Canty came off the PUP list and began practicing fully with the team on Wednesday.

"He actually practiced well yesterday and today," Coughlin said Thursday. "He's in very good condition." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Thanks, don't think we'll see Diehl starting next week...

Who did they release to make room for Canty
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos View Post
    Thanks, don't think we'll see Diehl starting next week...
    Hopefully we don't ever see Diehl start again.

Diehl has been average at best for the past few years now. There's no reason for him to start right now, and only if one of the tackles take a few steps backwards. I love Diehl as back-up, though.
    Last edited by JJC7301; 10-19-2012 at 12:54 AM.

since we signed lockler, i felt it was possible dd could actually rejuvinate his career as a backup/swing tackle. he's older now and he's put a lot of wear n tear on his body. lowering the snaps will raise the efficiency of each one...dd, although he wont get credit for it, was a huge reason why we were able to run on SF

The season is still young, and there will be many injuries all over the league. There may come a time when we need DD to play and play WELL. If and when that comes, I know he'll be ready.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    Who did they release to make room for Canty
    I haven't heard of anyone yet...they have 3 weeks to put Canty on roster
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    I haven't heard of anyone yet...they have 3 weeks to put Canty on roster
    I think the additon of Canty will help a GREAT deal on our run stopping
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I think the additon of Canty will help a GREAT deal on our run stopping
    I agree completely...all I was saying is they have 3 weeks to decide if he is....healthy and /or in football shape before they have to either IR him or add him to roster
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"