+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

David Diehl's Role As Jumbo Tackle "First Step" Back From Knee Injury

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "David Diehl played in last week's game at San Francisco for the first time since spraining his knee in Week 2. It was also the first time the 10-year veteran offensive lineman has played in a game but not started.

Diehl played 13 snaps as a jumbo tight end against the 49ers -- what offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride called "the first step of a few steps back."

"Little by little, we’ll play it out to the point where we can lean on him full time," Gilbride said, adding: "You’re not asking him to play 75 plays, you’re asking him to play a limited number and do just a limited of things, not everything that would be required of a tackle. And he passed the first test."

Gilbride's answer seems to indicate the Giants are phasing Diehl back in to his starting job. The Giants began the season with Diehl at right tackle and Sean Locklear at left tackle. After Diehl's injury, Locklear moved to right tackle, and Will Beatty returned from a back injury to his left tackle job." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Are you kidding me? This is the best our offensive line has looked in a couple of years. Leave it like it is!

Quote Originally Posted by KidA View Post
    Are you kidding me? This is the best our offensive line has looked in a couple of years. Leave it like it is!
    Did you read the whole article, they say just that.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

The good think about Diehl is that he's very versatile. I trust the coaching staff to have the right guys in there.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by KidA View Post
    oh stop already and read the article......
    Diehl will not start again unless someone gets hurt. He has 10 seasons of tough oline play. Give the guy his due.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    The good think about Diehl is that he's very versatile. I trust the coaching staff to have the right guys in there.
    Having Diehl in the rotation is not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Diehl will not start again unless someone gets hurt. He has 10 seasons of tough oline play. Give the guy his due.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Agreed..... 2 Super Bowls, and people are treating him like he's a bum.

He's one of my favorite Giants.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Diehl not starting anytime soon

This is great news!
    We all remember when ohara was out and came back for that eagles game and we lost as usual to them. The line had a nice groove at the time and they messed it up.
    This quote from gilbride is exactly what we want to hear. Diehl will be the swing tackle. Only used on certain plays. One could say he would only come on jumbo packages.
    He would also be the 6th lineman and be a great sub if someone should need to sit a game or two.

"Right now, I’m delighted with the way we’re playing," Gilbride said. "We’ll cross that hurdle when we have to. It just gives us some additional flexibility."

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...jumbo_tac.html

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post

Gilbride's answer seems to indicate the Giants are phasing Diehl back in to his starting job.
    I think its just the opposite. The Giants coaching staff knows that this line-up is working, and that if something isnt broke, dont fix it!

They need an excuse to give Diehl 10 snaps a game for the rest of the season...