+ Reply to Thread

Giants' Defensive Linemen Mathias Kiwanuka Credited with Improved Line Play

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/19/...ved-line-play/

Excerpt: "
    This morning, we wrote that the New York Giants offensive and defensive lines' improved play showed quite clearly in the 26-3 drubbing of the San Francisco 49ers. On Wednesday, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News creditedMathias Kiwanuka's reinsertion into the defensive line for much of the turnaround.

Sound familiar? That's because last week we wrote in this space that the poor play of the front four and the glut of talent at linebacker made sliding Kiwi down a no-brainer. Looks like Perry Fewell is yet another loyal reader of Giants101.com (we kid, we kid).

More from Vacchiano, who points out that over the course of the season Kiwanuka was playing in less than half the defensive snaps given how often the Giants find themselves in a nickel defense in today's pass-happy NFL:
    On Sunday, however, he took 62% of the defensive snaps, including 22 at defensive end, 15 at defensive tackle and one as a linebacker standing at the line of scrimmage on the last play of the game. He had a sack and got good pressure both up the middle and around the end.

The Giants harassed Smith all day, sacking him six times, hitting him nine times and playing a big role in his uncharacteristic three interception performance. Previously, Big Blue had only eight sacks…through five games!" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

turning point for our D this season .... getting him many snaps at DE and DT ... as soon as i heard they were thinking of this i was like DO IT!

im hoping we move to a main rotation of JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, Canty and Joseph ... i think most of the time those 6 can hold down the fort at DE and DT
    Apologize to Melo 5

gotta love versatile players that just want to play and make an impact

Quote Originally Posted by GMan-67 View Post
    turning point for our D this season .... getting him many snaps at DE and DT ... as soon as i heard they were thinking of this i was like DO IT!

im hoping we move to a main rotation of JPP, Tuck, Kiwi, Osi, Canty and Joseph ... i think most of the time those 6 can hold down the fort at DE and DT
    Agreed. We need to keep Kiwi with his hand in the dirt and give Tracy more snaps in rotation. When we get Canty and Bernard back as a starters we will be awesome. In the meantime, Kuhn and Austin are getting valuable snaps that will speed along their development.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Square peg ... square hole ... total fit ... who knew?!

I still see Kiwi being used more as a LBer moving foward, especially once Canty and Bernard come back. I believe last week was more about our lack of depth at DT (better to have Tuck or Kiwi at DT than Austin in there) than the coaches making more of a committment to permanently move Kiwi back to the DL.

Having a rotation of Tuck, Osi, JPP, Canty, Joseph, Bernard with Tracy and Kiwi taking snaps on the DL situationally would be a godo way to keep fresh legs in there.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

IMO unless things change dramatically in Tucks game performance he is playing his way out of the starting rotation...