+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3TFO: Redskins @ Giants

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...giants-week-7/

Defending RG3

Griffin, our leader in the Rookie of the Year race, has continued to burn defenses with his arm and legs despite getting knocked out of the Week 5 Atlanta game with a concussion. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has pulled out all the stops for the prized second overall pick with a wide variety of plays, including the triple option. The results are being discussed daily across the NFL landscape, as RG3 not only has the highest completion percentage among QBs at the moment (70.2) but is also our highest-graded signal-caller as a runner (+6.2) — with the highlight being his 76-yard TD run last week. His deep passing game (throws 20 yards or more) has yielded only 123 yards and a TD, though he was victimized by an Aldrick Robinson drop on a perfect pass with 10:44 left in the St. Louis game. He has done the most damage on passes thrown 10-19 yards over the middle, and has completed 21 of 27 throws for 446 yards and a score, along with a 131.1 passer rating. He hasn’t been terrible when under pressure, but he has thrown his only two picks in those circumstances.

With those stats in mind, the Giants may be better off trying to make RG3 beat them deep. New York’s injury-depleted secondary has been victimized by the likes of Brandon Weeden and Josh Freeman this year and given up 11 passes (five of which were TDs) of 20 yards or more. Two of the biggest culprits have been safety Antrel Rolle and CB Corey Webster. Despite his two picks last week, Rolle has allowed 10 of 14 passes to be completed in his coverage for 151 yards and seven first downs — and that does not include him failing to provide safety help on two further TD passes. Webster, a long-time Giant, has surrendered three scores and gifted QBs a 119.7 passer rating when targeting him. Meanwhile, the best pass defender on this squad has been sophomore Prince Amukamura — he’s been responsible for only 69 yards and a 30.5 passer rating when signal-callers go after him.

The Giants will also have to worry about RG3 running wild on them. Bolstered by Pierre-Paul, our highest graded 4-3 DE in run defense, and Linval Joseph, both of whom have eight stops in this area, this unit was able to limit another dangerous running signal-caller, Cam Newton, to 6 yards on six carries, and a garbage time TD. They had less success against Michael Vick though, and let him roam for 49 yards on six runs. The weakest links against opposing ground games have been starting linebackers Chase Blackburn and Michael Boley. Blackburn has missed eight tackles on runners so far and both have lost the majority of their one-on-one battles, including routinely getting shut down by tight ends and full backs. In order to contain the talented rookie on the ground, the Giants will have to prevent him from reaching the second level.

Very cool...That is my only worry is the middle of the field that's why not having JW will hurt but Rivers will be there and he can stop the run better then anybody. JW will be missed though cause he is good against the pass. It would be nice if we could start all 3 of our most talented LBs but I think we will be alright.

One thing I do disagree with is us being better off letting RG3 going deep cause he is an accurate deep ball thrower and he likes big plays. Make him play the short game and I thin that will frustrate along with the pass rush into mistakes.

Veteran
    Interesting that everyone talks about Rivers being there - he came back healthy last week and barely saw the field. There is no definite he will be ready for many snaps this week either - although with Jwill down he may see some snaps. Slowly Paysinger has seen more of the field with Boley hurting at times.

Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    Interesting that everyone talks about Rivers being there - he came back healthy last week and barely saw the field. There is no definite he will be ready for many snaps this week either - although with Jwill down he may see some snaps. Slowly Paysinger has seen more of the field with Boley hurting at times.
    I'm definitely not opposed to Pasynger but I expect Rivers to see way more snaps this week for the simple fact Washington runs the ball alot.

I wonder if we will see more of Bennett in the passing game this week. With so many receiving weapons for Eli and multiple Redskins defenders having negative pass coverage grades, it might be a great idea to spread the ball around in the air.

I think we will use our passing attack to open up the run, the key here will be getting a lead and making RGIII beat us with his arm. In a shoot out I think we win... Though he will get some highlights! The front seven definitely need to hit RGIII early and often, wear him down so he can barely move by the end of the game!

The key to beating the Redskins is to shut down RG3. A discipline front d-line can contain him. The defense would rather see RG3 try to beat them with his arm than his legs. The Giants offense can continue to do what they have been doing.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dave56dj View Post
    From what I read, Rivers didn't play because he didn't practice enough in the game plan for the 49ers

Giants should be able to pass all over the NFL's worst pass defense who are currently giving up 328 yds per game:

The Redskins’ defense has allowed all six of their opponents to throw for 299 yards or more. Eli should join that list by the end of Sunday. Aside from starting CBs DeAngelo Hall (giving passer’s a 94.2 rating against him) and Josh Wilson (108.8 rating), Jim Haslett has thrown nearly every other DB on the roster in there to try and stop the bleeding. These guys off the bench include former Bengal and Jaguar David Jones (allowed five of eight targets for 37 yards) and rookie Richard Crawford (9 of 13 for 148 yards and a score), along with a rotating group of safeties including Reed Doughty, rookie Jordan Pugh, and sophomore DeJon Gomes who has been the biggest liability (9 of 15 for 157 yards and a TD). The only safety who seems to have solidified his starting spot is veteran Madieu Williams who, after struggling initially, has become Washington’s best pass defender (+4.3). The journeyman, who was supposed to be a backup this year, got a lot of attention for his pick-six last week, but one of his most impressive plays came against Atlanta with 57 seconds left in the first half where he broke up a deep end-zone pass to Julio Jones. Unfortunately, starting inside linebackers Perry Riley and London Fletcher have also been culpable for this defense’s maligned reputation — both of them have given up three TD passes.

Rolle spying in the box? Assuming Jacquian can't go.