+ Reply to Thread

A great thought on the idiocy of a failed passing attack

Heard this on NFL Network and thought about it today when Eli's game was a bit off and we had some crucial misses (that 3rd and 1). It was said that a coach will run the ball a few times, get a yard or two, then abandon the run and go pass the ball. If it's incomplete, they'll often just pass the ball again. Somehow coaches seem to think making NO gain on a pass is just "no gain" but no gain on a run is worse. They're both equally sucky. In most cases a run will produce a little something and the argument I heard was that teams abandon the run way too soon anymore. I can't say I disagree.

Banned
    i agree 100 percent why is it when its 3rd and 1 or 2 does eli or gibride decide nows the time for a bomb..its so stupid..yeah sometimes it works but alot of times more often it fails...why not if your gonna pass do a small slant or flat play to bradshaw or te curl to bennett...you dont throw a 50 yd bomb on 3rd and 1 who does that..o thats right killdrive does

I hate to break it to you, but the SINGLE reason we run the ball is to "keep the defense honest". I believe that the coaching staff doesn't expect ANYTHING from our run game, and frankly I don't blame them. I believe in running, so the defense doesn't put 11 in coverage, but I expect the worst from our run game and hope to be pleasantly surprised (ie: SF and CLE).

Banned
    yeah ok but thats not going to win you alot of games playing like that..its just dumb...and common sense says u run or small pass...there is no excuse its assinine and ignorant to say the least its even quite c@ky really

It won us a Super Bowl last year. Look, I hate that our run game sucks. I love a balanced attack. But it's just not there. We were last in the league last year in running, and that's unfortunately what the NYG are now. Hopefully it can get on track.

Quote Originally Posted by NASCARBLITZ View Post
    i agree 100 percent why is it when its 3rd and 1 or 2 does eli or gibride decide nows the time for a bomb..its so stupid..yeah sometimes it works but alot of times more often it fails...why not if your gonna pass do a small slant or flat play to bradshaw or te curl to bennett...you dont throw a 50 yd bomb on 3rd and 1 who does that..o thats right killdrive does
    there are at least 10 things wrong with your logic. but ill take my time to only name 3.

1. On those deep pass plays when we need short yardage, i can assure you there are receivers running short to intermediate routes also. Eli tries to throw it to the guy who is more open. A lot of the time it may be the deep guy because the defense may not be expecting it.

2. which brings me to my next point. predictably can kill. what we have been doing is making teams play disiplne. they cant just commit to one type of defense on short situations. We can hit them with anything at any given time. This is what makes this offense so dangerous. this is why we are 5-2.

3. Although these last few games we have been running the ball solidly, dating back from last season till now, we havent been that good on short yardage situations. We are however getting a little better punching it in, in the redzone
    Last edited by Marvelousmik; 10-21-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Banned
    those are good points but still sometimes its just rediculous atleast admit that ud be lying if u didnt