+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

An Australian Coming to see the Big Blue

G'day My life long dream is about to come true in over a weeks time. I'm coming to New York to see the Giants take on the browns . After years of watch on tv I shall step on hallowed ground. The tears are swelling up, bulk wild!!. My wife and son can't make it so I'm goin on my own. i'm after some advice on what best time to get there, what's the best thing do at stadium before game even should I just bring some beer and hang with some cool New Yorkers. Also i need to buy a new jersey is there a pro shop there? I got so much to ask don't know where to start. My NY Giants friends I look forward to meeting you all. Cheers MPV

All-Pro
    "My wife and son can't make it so I'm goin on my own"

howd you pull that off? lucky dog

That is awesome man I am glad you have this opportunity.

To answer some of your questions:

i'm after some advice on what best time to get there

The parking lot opens 5 hours prior to kickoff and depending on how long you want to tailgate you should give yourself at least a couple hours to soak in the environment. How are you getting from the hotel to the stadium? Train, rental car, taxi?

what's the best thing do at stadium before game even should I just bring some beer and hang with some cool New Yorkers.

Tailgating is the best thing to do prior to kickoff. If you're not familiar with tailgating, it is when everyone camps out outside their cars and trucks in the parking lot and brings food and beer. It is essentially a GIANT party in the parking lot. Giants fans are some of the most welcoming and friendly fans in the NFL. You should have no problem finding a big group of people to hang out with, and also you can look for pre-paid tailgate parties where you buy a ticket and get all the food you could want: http://gametimecatering.com/ You can buy a ticket here, and this will give you a place to go in the parking lot and party. I am not sure if they provide any alcohol or not, but you can always find some generous fans to share some beers if not.

Also i need to buy a new jersey is there a pro shop there?

There are plenty of places to buy jerseys in the stadium, but just know that they are much more expensive than they would be in a sports store or buying one online.

Have fun and enjoy the game! I think it is awesome that you are coming all the way from Oz.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask anything.

Let's put the women and children to bed and go lookin' for dinner

Note that in addition to probably being more expensive, the places to buy a jersey there are INSIDE the stadium, meaning yiou have to go in first to buy it, meaning you won't have it for tailgating. I'd think you definitely want to buy one before you get there if you want to tailgate in style.

Bench Player
    She understands my passion mate.

Bench Player
    G4L cheers for your words and advice that's bulk wild, I'm getting there by train from midtown, what is the best station to go from? I'm gonna get there early ,I always felt that giants fan are that cool and welcoming that I would feel right at home. I'll check out the tailgate parties site sounds like good idea. Also I got a jersey here at home but it's Brendan Jacobs 27 which I love but seeing he's out best to pick up a new one and I dropped 20kg in weight so my large is like XXL ha ha. Keep any ideas coming mate I'm taking it all in, cheers.

Bench Player
    Mitchmac I will definitely get a jersey before hand cos I do want to tailgate in style, I heard modells is the place to go hope they open early on Sunday morning? Might bring Aussie flag with me to represent Wadda you reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by MpvGpv View Post
    Mitchmac I will definitely get a jersey before hand cos I do want to tailgate in style, I heard modells is the place to go hope they open early on Sunday morning? Might bring Aussie flag with me to represent Wadda you reckon?
    The flag is a great idea, i would definitely bring it. Also there really are so many places to buy a jersey. Not sure what time the game is but modells opens at about 10 give or take, each store is different.

You can also buy it at the nike store. Im sure they have nike stores in aussie? Not sure if it would be more expensive.

You're going to have a blast friend, the first time is the best especially since its so hard for people like you to come.

You might even want to come once a year like a lot of the fans on these boards do. Enjoy the experience, be loud!
    Previously NYGiants141

Since December 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by MpvGpv View Post
    G4L cheers for your words and advice that's bulk wild, I'm getting there by train from midtown, what is the best station to go from? I'm gonna get there early ,I always felt that giants fan are that cool and welcoming that I would feel right at home. I'll check out the tailgate parties site sounds like good idea. Also I got a jersey here at home but it's Brendan Jacobs 27 which I love but seeing he's out best to pick up a new one and I dropped 20kg in weight so my large is like XXL ha ha. Keep any ideas coming mate I'm taking it all in, cheers.
    Hey Mate,

As for the train situation, you want to get to Penn Station on 34th street (The Garden - where the Rangers hockey team plays) and take the train to Secaucus on the Northeast Corridor Line. You'll most likely see a good number of Giants fans in the station, and its usually easy to ask someone if you get lost as its a big station underground. Once you get to Secaucus just ask or follow the Big Blue contingency you see. For more specifics, go here: http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servl...=MeadowlandsTo

Your total trip time from Manhattan to Metlife Stadium should be within a half hour assuming the Metlife train isn't delayed.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh yeah Mpv....Aussie flag will definitely open some doors for you!! I just checked the Modells website and the one at Times Square looks like it opens at 9 on sundays and that's not a bad walk from Penn Station at all - maybe 10 minutes. Might want to call ahead of time to make sure that's when they open that day and they have the jersey you want in stock. Tell them you want to be out of there by 9:15 because you got some serious tailgating to do and I'm sure they'll take care of you! Also, don't forget there's really no place to buy tailgating beer once you get to the stadium so you should plan accordingly - although I'm sure if you chat up some folks on the train they'll take care of you.
    Wish I was in your shoes, dude, sounds like an awesome adventure. Enjoy!!