+ Reply to Thread

The Giants need a new rule (play for pay)

Once again, I read a Giant (I think it was BJ) saying that the Giants didn't have "intensity." For their own good, before each game I think the Giants need to put their entire accumulated salaries for that week into a pot and then surrender it to their opponents if they loose. For most of us ignorant fans, we thought that the fear of losing, with a division title and shot at the playoffs on the line would be enough to bring "intensity", but maybe it takes their weekly paychecks on the line to find that extra gear.
    "Lack of intensity?" That line makes me sick as a fan, and it's been thrown around ALOT by this team over the past few years. This team needs to be rebuilt with finding a new attitude and identity in mind.

I have really lost a lot of respect for this organization and team.

Veteran

Re: The Giants need a new rule (play for pay)

This is how the whole NFL should be run. Screw these huge guarunteed contracts. You should get payed soley on your performance on the field and if you don't perform you should be fined by the team. Don't like it?? fine then quit but at least you won't be quitting on the field while making millions.

[quote user="Spizi"]This is how the whole NFL should be run. Screw these huge guarunteed contracts. You should get payed soley on your performance on the field and if you don't perform you should be fined by the team. Don't like it?? fine then quit but at least you won't be quitting on the field while making millions.[/quote]
    Agreed. I want to hurl whenever I read how they are "in search of intensity." If this team did not have any talent, then I wouldn't care but that's not the case. As a team, they are underachievers with no heart.

[quote user="Spizi"]This is how the whole NFL should be run. Screw these huge guarunteed contracts. You should get payed soley on your performance on the field and if you don't perform you should be fined by the team. Don't like it?? fine then quit but at least you won't be quitting on the field while making millions.[/quote]+1000.....canty & rolle are some of the highest paid players on the team and IMO they're two of the biggest wastes on defense......go figure...

[quote user="JJC7301"]Once again, I read a Giant (I think it was BJ) saying that the Giants didn't have "intensity." For their own good, before each game I think the Giants need to put their entire accumulated salaries for that week into a pot and then surrender it to their opponents if they loose. For most of us ignorant fans, we thought that the fear of losing, with a division title and shot at the playoffs on the line would be enough to bring "intensity", but maybe it takes their weekly paychecks on the line to find that extra gear.
    "Lack of intensity?" That line makes me sick as a fan, and it's been thrown around ALOT by this team over the past few years. This team needs to be rebuilt with finding a new attitude and identity in mind.

I have really lost a lot of respect for this organization and team.[/quote]

They'd go on strike before agreeing to pay for play & we'd be stuck watching a bunch of guys playing just for the love of the game & for all likelyhood play for nothing other than a chance to win the game.

Now who & the world would want to watch guys out there playing their hearts out; playing hurt, not worrying about long careers, giving up their bodies & leaving it all on the field for nothing more than to win a stupid football game.

Todays players..... that's not what's in it for them. You'd be back in the 50's & 60's when you see them walking off the field covered with dirt & blood. Some would be wearing stitches on even their faces but would still not stay out of the game.

No sir we don't need that type of barbarian style of old rough & tough football back in our lives. We may enjoy it too much to go back to what we have now after the strike was settled.

No sir not me anyway.

The biggest reason they need to fire Coughlin doesn't even really have to do with Coughlin himself... These players need to learn that if they don't perform, they're gone. They could also get rid of some of the dead weight and show what happens when you sit pretty on a big contract.

Bench Player

haha. i get that everyone's mad about our performance today, and I am as well. But take a step back and look at what you're saying.

Imagine if your salary was on the line every week. Have a bad week? No money for you. Have a 3 game slide? Wow, can't make the car payments anymore.

It's not like these guys are set for life or anything. They are on contract after all, and if they play too poorly for too long, they get cut or nobody signs them again. To ask people to put their livelihood up for grabs every single week in a sport where your best doesn't necessarily mean you'll win is lunacy.

Of course, the point of your post was that we need to play with more intensity, which I ultimately agree with. Just thought your methods were a bit whack lol.

[quote user="JJC7301"]Once again, I read a Giant (I think it was BJ) saying that the Giants didn't have "intensity." For their own good, before each game I think the Giants need to put their entire accumulated salaries for that week into a pot and then surrender it to their opponents if they loose. For most of us ignorant fans, we thought that the fear of losing, with a division title and shot at the playoffs on the line would be enough to bring "intensity", but maybe it takes their weekly paychecks on the line to find that extra gear.

I have really lost a lot of respect for this organization and team.[/quote]

If the entire NFL were to adopt such a system, the problem would be that NFL players would start to flock to "bandwagon winning teams" like the Patriots, Steelers and Packers, and no NFL player would ever want to play for the Browns, Bills, etc. Why? Because they might never get paid for playing for an NFL team that rarely won a game. Join the Steelers and be a multi-millionaire; join the Rams and go broke.

Plus, it's unfair. What if a player like JPP gives his all on every play, and gets 4 sacks, but his teammates don't, and the Giants lose as a result? Should Pierre-Paul be required to forfeit his salary, too, just because his teammates didn't care enough to win?

the past three years i've seen this sentiment suggested. i still laugh at the notion

but have to admit, since this has been on ongoing issue, and since coughlin who is a supposed disciplinarian won't sit players who show no heart, maybe a measure like this has to be taken,

not a comple forfeiture of the game check esp to the other team lol but maybe fines or something like a 5,000 hit or something.

i forget which giant it was, i know it was one of our legendary old school lb's, but after a ****ty performance he refused to accept pay. i want to say it was banks but it could be carson or one of the greats

if we had some of those lb's on the team now, not only would our d be good, but team mates would be walking around with black eyes bc of there lack of heart and focus

[quote user="giantsfan420"]the past three years i've seen this sentiment suggested. i still laugh at the notion but have to admit, since this has been on ongoing issue, and since coughlin who is a supposed disciplinarian won't sit players who show no heart, maybe a measure like this has to be taken, not a comple forfeiture of the game check esp to the other team lol but maybe fines or something like a 5,000 hit or something. i forget which giant it was, i know it was one of our legendary old school lb's, but after a ****ty performance he refused to accept pay. i want to say it was banks but it could be carson or one of the greats if we had some of those lb's on the team now, not only would our d be good, but team mates would be walking around with black eyes bc of there lack of heart and focus[/quote]

Sorry everyone, I should have type my original post out in RED to reflect my sarcasm. No, of course I would not expect this to actually happen and it wouldn't be fair either, but this team's supposed continual lack of "intensity" is disgusting and deserving of sarcasm.