+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally we have a Powerful Offense but...

A lot of posters want to limit our offense with ball control and heavy running. Why these guys keep thinking that running out the clock works all of the time? Have they even looked at the Giants play in the 80s? Giants are about to get their third Superbowl with pass happy offense and you want them to run the ball 30 times a game? What is wrong with you guys?

Can you see that there are different types of offenses? Look at the 49ers of the 80s and early 90s and the Broncos when they won back to back Championships in the 90s. Don't let Dallas run attack fool you cause they had a real good pass offense. They also had a freakish O-line. Look at the Pats. They had winning record for years passing the ball in the 2000s. Learn from those teams. Our Giants could be next..

I like ro run the ball as well and we should do that but not establish the run cause when you do that, you try and try to run run run to get it going and that can be a bad thing. Why is that? Well usualy defenses will stop you more than the pass. Then they will do more than run, they will try to beat you with run and pass. Look at the teams that do run the ball. They are losing games more than winning..

When you use ball control, you got to get sevens. Threes are not going to do it. Also if you try to use ball control, you can help the opposition out.

I remember when the Giants would sit on a lead and then lose the game. The attitude that TC has is basically to put the opponent away and not let them linger. To do that you sometimes have to take chances. I don't want to go back to the days of the 3/4 qtr running game to hold onto a lead. In this league is 14 points enough? 21 points? when is a lead a lead?

Veteran
    Running the ball helps the passing game. Also balance wins Super Bowls more than anything. A team that can run, stop the run, pass, stop the pass and play special teams is hard to beat. You don't have to be great in all phases, just good in all and great in at least one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgiantfan View Post
    I remember when the Giants would sit on a lead and then lose the game. The attitude that TC has is basically to put the opponent away and not let them linger. To do that you sometimes have to take chances. I don't want to go back to the days of the 3/4 qtr running game to hold onto a lead. In this league is 14 points enough? 21 points? when is a lead a lead?
    You said it sport.

All-Pro
    There is something to be said for a balanced attack... or at least the ability to beat a team by attacking their weakness. For example, if teams are dropping 8 guys into coverage, passing is difficult, but running the ball should be fairly easy... and it forces teams to play more honest. The same can be said for passing, if defenses are bringing 8 guys into the box and attacking the run, you should be able to get some easy completions.

There are other benefits to a balanced attack. When your QB is having an off day, like Eli had against the Skins. Using the running game can help to slow down the pass rush and help the offense get into a rhythm. The added benefit to that is that you keep your defense off the field, and considering the difficulties we have seen on defense, that isn't a bad idea.

Yes, the Giants strength is the passing game, but if you start forgetting about the run, focusing only on the pass... you become the Eagles. Based on the complete collapse they have had and rumors of Mornhinweg getting fired next, I think we can all agree that a pass happy "chuck and duck" offense isn't exactly the best idea.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Running helps keep defenses honest. too much pass, then they can shut that down. buuuuuuuuuuuuut, add in some running plays, then the opponents D has to decide whether you are going to run or throw. We have always been known as a smash mouth running football team. we don't need a jacobs to do that. we have more then enough RB's to establish a running game. rotate them out, keep the legs fresh and we will do good.
    Formerly Brandon Jacobs

A balanced attack is always best. Did the Giants have a balanced attack against Washington? I thought they were struggling to run the ball. Now against SF that was a different story. So what do you do when you need between 3-5 yards?

I just think you take what the defense gives you. If you are struggling to run then maybe the pass opens up the run and of course vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by giant-4-life View Post
    Running helps keep defenses honest. too much pass, then they can shut that down. buuuuuuuuuuuuut, add in some running plays, then the opponents D has to decide whether you are going to run or throw. We have always been known as a smash mouth running football team. we don't need a jacobs to do that. we have more then enough RB's to establish a running game. rotate them out, keep the legs fresh and we will do good.
    That Smash Mouth Football doesn't work unless you have strong powrful players more than your opposition. My post is about posters want to run out the clock mess. We blow team away and add points and more points. We better do this now while we got this or we might not see this in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by oldgiantfan View Post
    A balanced attack is always best. Did the Giants have a balanced attack against Washington? I thought they were struggling to run the ball. Now against SF that was a different story. So what do you do when you need between 3-5 yards?

I just think you take what the defense gives you. If you are struggling to run then maybe the pass opens up the run and of course vice-versa.
    Yes you are right about balance but there is a such thing as a balance passing attack. I also want to add that the we take what the defense gives you is not just short yardage but it can be the deep ball. Remember they deep ball against the Egals with Barden? That was a one on one situations that was given to the Giants. That means the defense isn't giving you the short pass. Barden should have had that pass or knocked it out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    Have they even looked at the Giants play in the 80s?
    Have you watched Super Bowl XXV?

Pass-happy teams haven't won Super Bowls until very recently. The pass-happy teams usually get slaughtered when they run into a tough defense. See Marino's Dolphins, Elway's Broncos, Kelley's Bills, etc.

Sheesh we did it to the Broncos and Bills in those same '80s you are lamenting.

There are lots of reasons to run the ball.

- Time of posession (see SB XXV) -- keep the ball away from the opponnent; eat up game clock by never letting the play clock stop on an incomplete pass. It also means your defense can get a nice long rest on the sidelines.
    - Keeps defense honest against pass coverage -- the safeties and LB have to cheat up to stop the run and that stops them from selling out in pass coverage.
    - Exhausting -- playing the run as a defender is physical and exhausting, and pays dividends when the defense is tired in the 4th quarter
    - Demoralizing -- extending yourself to stop a 3 yard run with the game running out of time breaks the defense's spirts and you'll see them standing around with their hands on their hips.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 10-23-2012 at 06:52 PM.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells