+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Giants' Mark Herzlich Being Groomed for MLB Of The Future

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/23/...of-the-future/

Excerpt: "New York Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich has not seen a lot of playing time this season. Despite a productive preseason and rumblings that he could take over at the starting middle linebacker position sooner rather than later, Herzlich has taken a backseat to teammate Chase Blackburn for the first seven games of 2012. Although Herzlich's lack of playing time is surprising, one would have a hard time finding a place for him within the Giants deep linebacker core. As the saying goes, don't fix something that's not broken.

The New York Giants defense has improved over the last two weeks. After holding Alex Smith and the San Francisco 49ers offense to three points, Big Blue forced four turnovers against the Washington Redskins to eek out a 27-23 victory. Perhaps the most influential turnover of the game came in the final minute, as Giants middle linebacker Chase Blackburn stripped Santana Moss of the football and effectively ended the game. Despite some blown coverages at time this season, Blackburn has played better than expected so far through 2012." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

i havent forgotten or given up on herz at all. i think the article explains it well. blackburn is earning his spot through these 1rst 7 weeks. Herz is the guy of the future who has a ton of potential and is athletically way more gifted than CB. and CB is prob the first person i'd pick to have herz learn from bc CB gets a lot done despite his lack of athleticism. if herz can take CB game and add his own athleticism to it...well thats what we've wanted at MLB forever it seems

I like chase. Hes not Urlacher but he fits in the Giants defense just fine.

Slip will be in here soon to complain about how awful Chase is. waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i havent forgotten or given up on herz at all. i think the article explains it well. blackburn is earning his spot through these 1rst 7 weeks. Herz is the guy of the future who has a ton of potential and is athletically way more gifted than CB. and CB is prob the first person i'd pick to have herz learn from bc CB gets a lot done despite his lack of athleticism. if herz can take CB game and add his own athleticism to it...well thats what we've wanted at MLB forever it seems
    Uh CB runs like a 4.7 in the 40 and Herzlich runs a 4.9. Who's the better athlete?

When its all said and done - if you look at all the times Blackburn has made big plays for the Giants - you just gotta love him. Some people just have that sixth sense about making game-changing plays and CB is one of them. He does make his mistakes but it would take a special LB to provide a more positive effect than Chase is already providing for our defense.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Uh CB runs like a 4.7 in the 40 and Herzlich runs a 4.9. Who's the better athlete?
    Is that a trick question?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Herzlich was also two years from being diagnosed with bone cancer. I think he gets a bit of a break on his 40 yard dash time.

Speed does not prove athleticism.. just sayin..

i love when people try to be a smart *** and end up just making themselves look like an ***...i guess i forgot that 40 times is the lone and sole indicator of athleticism. thanks for reminding me!

but in all seriousness, you'd have to be blind to think CB has as good a back pedal, lateral movement and fluidity in the hips when dropping off in coverage. in fact, if there was ONE thing Herz displayed to be better than CB it was his athleticism. that awesome jump int, that awesome pressure he got vs gb iirc last year...as i said i like CB. he's the now bc he's earned it with play. but i am excited for the future whether its next week or next year and Herz gets the MLB spot

Ya know, I keep hearing everyone saying how great Herzlich played in the preseason, but I watched every preseason snap and what I saw from Herzlich was a guy who made very few, if any, impact plays against 3rd and 4th stringers. I am a big Herzlich fan and I really wanted to see him "pop", but I just didn't . . . . .