+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Eli Manning Is Presiding Over The Greatest Era of Giants' Football ...

Eli Manning Is Presiding Over The Greatest Era of Giants' Football In The Team's Long, Storied History

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1190832

Excerpt: "
    There has never been a better time to be a fan of the football Giants than right now.

Go back as far as you want, throw in the 1950s and early 60s, when the Giants were as big-city glamorous as any team we've ever had in any sports, even if they went to six championship games and only won one.

This is better.

Over the past five years, there has been no team more fun to root for, in any sport, than the Giants of Tom Coughlin, mostly the Giants of Eli Manning.

Giants fans know why: Because every Sunday has a chance to be like last Sunday. Every Sunday you know there is a chance for another comeback or another fourth quarter, every Sunday there is a chance that when Eli is up against it he can haul off and throw one to Victor Cruz the way he threw one to Mario Manningham in the last Super Bowl.

Heat fans might want to argue with you about this, especially if LeBron's first title is only the beginning for him and for his team. They might want to argue in San Francisco if their baseball team can somehow win their second World Series in three seasons, win it after coming from 0-2 behind in a five-game series and 1-3 down against the defending champions of the world, might want to say that there is nothing better right now than being a fan of the baseball Giants.

Fans of the football Giants know better." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-24-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All eyes are on Eli. He is the one to get it done. Good article. I love being a NYGs fan. Love knowing that Eli gives us a better than average chance to win. Giants time is now. Our time is now.

I am already wondering who will be the next Giants' STAR in the SB. Can't be Tyree or Manningham.

Let me tell you the difference between this era and the era of the late eighties.
    Today, we all look at our schedule and we see a win here, a loss here, a couple wins here etc....
    With the Phil Simms team, we would look at the schedule and see win, win, win, win, win,,,,,,,,,
    We were simply a dominant football team. A team that everyone was afraid of. If we played anywhere near our potential, we were unbeatable by any team in the NFL.

I just think in pure dominance, that era was better.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Let me tell you the difference between this era and the era of the late eighties.
    Today, we all look at our schedule and we see a win here, a loss here, a couple wins here etc....
    With the Phil Simms team, we would look at the schedule and see win, win, win, win, win,,,,,,,,,
    We were simply a dominant football team. A team that everyone was afraid of. If we played anywhere near our potential, we were unbeatable by any team in the NFL.

I agree ... with the possible exception of the 2008 team, the 1986 team had Super Bowl written all over it. It was a study in how to create a Super Bowl caliber team in a few years against division and conference specific opponents. And you *feared* to play the Giants (mostly because we wracked up the most QB knockouts in 86).

However, I was never as confident in any Giants as I am with this one to win a come-from-behind-last-minute win. In the 80s, you knew almost from the first quarter who was going to win and who was going to lose. You don't have that with this team. This team can win on any given Sunday in any given fourth quarter.

I've never seen a QB as poised as Eli is under those circumstances (and that includes Joe Montana).

Interesting thought...I really bought into the article when I read it....but after reading what you just wrote...you are right.... in a year like 86 ...teams were looking at us and worried if they could beat us....I think the difference comes down to parity and salary cap....there really arent truly dominant teams the way it used to be...so it really comes down to the difference in perception
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I agree ... with the possible exception of the 2008 team, the 1986 team had Super Bowl written all over it. It was a study in how to create a Super Bowl caliber team in a few years against division and conference specific opponents. And you *feared* to play the Giants (mostly because we wracked up the most QB knockouts in 86).

However, I was never as confident in any Giants as I am with this one to win a come-from-behind-last-minute win. In the 80s, you knew almost from the first quarter who was going to win and who was going to lose. You don't have that with this team. This team can win on any given Sunday in any given fourth quarter.

I've never seen a QB as poised as Eli is under those circumstances (and that includes Joe Montana).
    I think we saw how thin that 2008 team really was. One, underperforming WR could be used as an excuse for our losing 5 of our last 6.
    The reality is that the 2008 team was much more flawed than we thought.
    Get well soon 80.

btw morehead I got into an interesting.. yet short discussion about dynastys yesterday that I would have enjoyed your input
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    Interesting thought...I really bought into the article when I read it....but after reading what you just wrote...you are right.... in a year like 86 ...teams were looking at us and worried if they could beat us....I think the difference comes down to parity and salary cap....there really arent truly dominant teams the way it used to be...so it really comes down to the difference in perception
    I certainly agree regarding the impact of the salary cap and free agency. All teams nowadays are flawed, including ours. But our team is not dominant, at least not at the moment. Its a fun time to be a Giants fan, because our team is good, dynamic, and capable of beating anyone. But unfortunately, we are capable of losing to most anyone as well.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    btw morehead I got into an interesting.. yet short discussion about dynastys yesterday that I would have enjoyed your input
    Hahaha!!!
    I'm old school when it comes to dynasties. I think sports dynasties need to be over an extended period of time. Like almost everything else however, the modern world seems to be lowering the standards of even that.
    Get well soon 80.

I certainly agree regarding the impact of the salary cap and free agency. All teams nowadays are flawed, including ours. But our team is not dominant, at least not at the moment. Its a fun time to be a Giants fan, because our team is good, dynamic, and capable of beating anyone. But unfortunately, we are capable of losing to most anyone as well.
    hence the phrase" any given Sunday"
    honestly was not quite as prominent back before this era....did teams lose game they should win? of course....but it was not nearly as prevalent as it is today