+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, October 26, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Perry Fewell Says Jason Pierre-Paul Remains A Dominant Force Despite Dip In Stats

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Cowboys Stadium was the site of Jason Pierre-Paul's breakthrough on the national stage last season. In the Giants' season-saving 37-34 comeback win, the defensive end was all over the field. He recorded six tackles, two sacks and a safety. He topped it off by blocking the potential game-tying field goal.

When asked about the performance today, Pierre-Paul didn't think much of it.

"Not at all," Pierre-Paul said when asked if it was a coming out party for him. "People might say that, but it wasn’t. I just went out there and did my job. That was basically it. The other players will tell you that. That’s basically it."

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell thought of it differently.

"I thought he dominated. He totally dominated the football game," Fewell said. "It was one of those games where he was on… It seems like every run play he was there to make a tackle. I think he just played at a high level and he was in one of those zones that he just played lights out. I’m just hoping we can put him back into that zone when we go back into that stadium and he can play that way again." Read more...

Giants' Ahmad Bradshaw Agreed To Dial Down His Emotions, But Still Wants The Ball

Excerpt: "When Tom Coughlin said Monday that Ahmad Bradshaw’s apparent in-game spat with him had “been addressed,” the Giants coach referred to a conversation he had with his starting running back the day after the Redskins win.

Coughlin’s message, Bradshaw recounted Thursday, was “just to calm my emotions and just let it all out in my play.”

And Bradshaw’s response?

“That different things won’t happen the way they did,” said Bradshaw, who also smacked teammate Victor Cruz on the helmet after an apparent missed block last Sunday. “Like I said, our emotions are going so many different ways in the game, you never know. Just to control it pretty much, and (I told him) I would. Nothing big.”

Bradshaw’s attention is now focused forward to this week’s game at Dallas, and being able to deliver his typical emotion-fueled play despite a foot injury that popped up on the injury report after the 49ers game." Read more...

Giants' David Diehl Says He's 100%, Would Like To Start But Willing To Take Any Role

Excerpt: "Since David Diehl sustained a sprained MCL in the first quarter of the Giants' Week 2 win over the Buccaneers, the Giants have surrendered three sacks in five games and revitalized the rushing attack. They've done it with veteran free-agent acquisition Sean Locklear moving from left to right tackle to replace Diehl, and Will Beatty inserted at left tackle.

Diehl returned in Week 6 against the 49ers, but wasn't given his starting spot at right tackle; he's been limited to the jumbo tight end role in his two games back. And though Diehl said he feels 100 percent this week for the first time since he suffered the injury, but isn't sure if he'll regain his starting spot."You don’t assume anything," Diehl said today when asked if he thought his starting position would be waiting.

"You would hope so, but like I said, the fact that if it doesn’t happen, I’m not, don’t get me wrong, I would love to be starting, I would love to be back out there, that’s what I’m here for, that’s what I’ve always done. But, like I said, if that doesn’t happen, it’s not going to change the way I feel about Sean. It’s not going to change the way I feel about our coaches and our staff. I’ve been hurt. I’ve been out. There’s nothing I can do to change that."
    Read more...

Giants' Martellus Bennett Says He Has Nothing To Show Cowboys In Return To Dallas

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...nett_says.html

Excerpt: "No, Martellus Bennett didn't circle his return to Dallas on his calendar. He doesn't have one, he reasoned.

And no, he doesn't believe he has anything to show the Cowboys organization that let him sign with the Giants without any resistance after four seasons.

Bennett says he's treating Sunday's NFC East battle against the Cowboys like the 15 other games on the schedule. It just so happens that it'll be in Dallas, where he'll get a chance to eat at Pappadeaux, a popular seafood restaurant chain not found in the northeast, with a few old friends.

"I have nothing to show the Cowboys or anything like that," Bennett said. "All my emotions are to this organization and the things we're trying to build, the relationships I'm trying to build here so I have nothing to show them. I have nothing to show outside this organization and myself." Read more...

Ahmad Bradshaw Missed Practice To Prevent Setback With Foot Injury

Excerpt: "Giants running back Ahmad Bradshaw said he's feeling "good" but did not practice today because he did not want to suffer a setback in his injured foot before Sunday's game against the Cowboys.

"I just don’t want to go out and get it sore during the week," Bradshaw said. "I don’t want any setbacks or anything prohibiting me from being 100 (on Sunday)."

This was the second straight practice Bradshaw has missed. He expects to practice tomorrow. He was originally supposed to go today, but Bradshaw said it was his call to switch his practice day to Friday to avoid a setback.

Bradshaw has had recurrent foot issues through his career. This recent one popped up after the San Francisco game, in which he said he thinks his foot was stepped on.

"I am going to take it like it is," Bradshaw said, when asked if he'll have to manage this injury like in years past. "I am not having as much pain as I am usually having with it (in the past). I will be practicing tomorrow, which is a good step." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Vacchiano: Romo Has Been A Giant Against Coughlin's Crew

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1192688

Excerpt: "
    The Tony Romo the nation knows is the one who embarrassed himself three weeks ago with five interceptions in a Monday night game against the Bears. He’s the one who has won just one playoff game in eight seasons, and who always seems to come up small in big spots.

But that is not the Tony Romo that the Giants have gotten to know in 12 games over the last seven seasons.

“I don’t know,” said linebacker Chase Blackburn. “He always seems to play well against us.”

Romo may be the most maligned quarterback in the NFL these days, and a symbol of the Cowboys’ relative failures over the last two decades, but the Giants seem to have a knack for turning him into the “elite” quarterback he rarely seems to be. More often than not, dating back to the 2007 season — his second as a starter — he has lit up the Giants every chance he's gotten.

He was even nearly perfect against them in a 24-17 win on opening night." Read more...

Giants' Bradshaw Out For Payback Against Cowboys

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1192684

Ahmad Bradshaw still vividly remembers the scene. He recalls standing in the MetLife Stadium tunnel, ready to head onto the field last month against the Dallas Cowboys, so sure that his Giants would begin their Super Bowl defense with a win.

“We were inside, we were pumped up,” the tailback recalled Thursday. “I guess we had a feeling we were going to win the game.”

That didn’t happen. Instead, the Super Bowl champs looked listless and sloppy on that Wednesday night in September — simply not “in sync,” according to linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka — and the result was a 24-17 loss that still stings Big Blue.

Want to know why the Giants barely care about Jerry Jones’ invitation to fans to come watch Dallas “beat the New York Giants asses”? It’s because the champs have other things on their minds. They’ve spent the last seven weeks stewing about that season-opening loss to the Cowboys, over how Dallas put an instant damper on Big Blue’s title defense, just moments after the franchise’s four Super Bowl-winning teams were honored.

And on Sunday, in the House that Jerry Built, the Giants can finally exact their revenge.

“Being that they got us the first game, it just puts that much more point of emphasis on this game," said Giants safety Antrel Rolle. “They were way more effective than we were, and we just didn’t play Giants football that day.” Read more...

Bradshaw Plans to Practice Friday, Play Sunday

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ay-play-sunday

The schedule Tom Coughlin laid out was for Ahmad Bradshaw to practice on Thursday, but things didn’t exactly go according to plan. There was no need to worry, though, and the Giants’ running back apparently suffered no setbacks.

He said “I feel good” and plans to practice on Friday and then play in Dallas on Sunday afternoon.

“I just don’t want to go out and get it sore during the week,” Bradshaw said. “I don’t want any setbacks or anything prohibiting me from being 100 percent.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST.

Romo In Cross Hairs As Big Blue Invades Big D

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...XXusLrMj3pu0kO

Excerpt: "You don’t bury a division rival at the midpoint of the season, but linebacker Michael Boley said he knows if the Giants beat the Cowboys on Sunday, you could at least grab a shovel.

“That would definitely put us in the driver’s seat’’ in the NFC East, Boley said.

All of the Giants know the most direct path to victory is to bring out the worst in Tony Romo.

And, as the evidence has shown, the worst is pretty darn bad, just as the best is, well, precisely what Romo did to torch the Giants in the season opener.

“He’s a streaky guy,’’ Mathias Kiwanuka said yesterday. “I don’t think you can look at the trajectory of his season or his career at any point because at any point he’s liable to go out and throw for 400 or 500 yards or he can, you know, have a game that’s just as bad as any he’s ever had. So for us we have to make sure we prepare for his best and try to get him out of his rhythm.’’ Read more...

Loving Life In New York, JPP Brings The Fear

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...AyWpgL5PxvT8lM

Excerpt: "Jason Pierre-Paul, the most feared man in Dallas — the most feared man since Lawrence Taylor — is standing at the shower door with a white towel wrapped around his waist. He can’t wait to ruin another game, and maybe another season, for Tony Romo and the Cowboys ... and to love doing it with NY on his helmet.“It represents ... everything we stand for,” JPP told The Post. “We’re in the Big Apple, the big city, fans love you. ... It don’t get no better than this, man, being in New York, and playing for New York fans and everything.”

I asked Pierre-Paul what that does for him emotionally, and he said: “It makes me want to play even harder. I play for my fans and my family, man, that’s it — and this organization.”

This organization may have gotten a once-in-a-generation player, the LT of defensive linemen.

I asked Pierre-Paul: Do you hope to reach the stage as a player where you are feared on the football field?

“I think I’m that player now,” he said.

What gives you that feeling?

“Just people’s respect, man. When people know who you are, and they have to do certain things to block you and stuff,” Pierre-Paul said. “Everywhere I go I hear my name. Trust me, I just hear it all the time, man.”

From fans or from players?" Read more...

VIDEO: Schwartz Talks Nicks, Cowboys' Game

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...5D6PshuEtR5g8J

Excerpt: "How important is Hakeem Nicks’ health to the Giants? Can Big Blue avenge a very disappointing loss to the Cowboys in Week 1 in front of a national television audience?
    New York Post beat writer Paul Schwartz addresses both those questions and much more in this video." WATCH VIDEO

Giants' Fewell On Redskins;' RG III: "I just had to shake my head"

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...lYxxWeplnu3cSM

Excerpt: "Perry Fewell has a completely shaved head and on Thursday the Giants defensive coordinator jokes “I won’t have any hair’’ when reminded that he only has to figure out a way to deal with Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III for the next 10- or 15 years.

Fewell and the Giants came away more than impressed with the rookie after last week’s 27-23 victory over the Redskins. Late in the fourth quarter, Fewell was caught on camera actually chuckling after RG3 completed a fourth-and-10 pass for 19 yards and a first down by keeping alive the play with a wild scramble, eluding Jason Pierre-Paul in the process." Read more...

Giants' Kiwanuka: Romo Can Be Great Or Awful For Cowboys

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...9i9jSMsC4349sL

Excerpt: "The Giants know all about Tony Romo, having played against him twice every season. They get to meet up with him again on Sunday and linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka says you never really know what to expect from the Cowboys quarterback.

“He’s a streaky guy,’’ Kiwanuka said on Thursday. “I don’t think you can look at the trajectory of his season or his career at any point because at any point he’s liable to go out and throw for 400 or 500 yards or he can, you know, have a game that’s just as bad as any he’s ever had. So for us we have to make sure we prepare for his best and try to get him out of his rhythm.’’

The Giants saw the best of Romo in the season opener, as he passed for three touchdowns and 307 yards. The entire football-watching public saw the worst of Romo three weeks later, when he tied his career high with five interceptions against the Bears.

Kiwanuka said there is no way to predict which Romo you will get.

“It’s not cyclical,’’ Kiwanuka said. “It’s very up and down. He can get on a roll in a game that he’s not expected to win and come out looking great.’’ Read more...

Bradshaw Sits Practice In Hopes of Being 100% In Dallas

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...TFxWwHGUdWqruI

Excerpt: "Ahmad Bradshaw missed practice for a second straight day, riding a stationary bike while his teammates were on the field. But the running back said it was both his decision, and a precautionary one at that, to avoid any setbacks and ensure he’ll be 100 percent for Sunday’s huge NFC East tilt in Dallas.

“It’s nothing. I just don’t want to go out and get it sore during the week, risk any setbacks or anything that would prevent me from being 100 percent Sunday,’’ said Bradshaw, who added that he’ll practice tomorrow. “I didn’t want to get set back; I want to be 100 percent Sunday.’’

Tom Coughlin has said he doesn’t want Ahmad Bradshaw to revert to his 2011 practice schedule of getting out on the field only once a week to save wear and tear on his feet. But this week, they’ll gladly take that if it gets him on the field Sunday.

“Y’all have been around here, y’all know Ahmad is going to play ball on Sunday. It doesn’t matter what. I’ve seen that guy play through so much stuff,’’ said running back Andre Brown. “He takes precautions, he takes care of his body, and he’s ready to go on Sunday; he’ll be out there ready to run.’ Read more...

Giants Head Into Bid D With Familiar 5 - 2 Record

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...ASVUfzi81mgDiO

Excerpt: "The Giants have been here before, almost every year in fact, since Tom Coughlin took over as coach in 2004.

The Giants head to Dallas on Sunday afternoon at 5-2, which is the exact record they have had after seven games in seven of their eight seasons under Coughlin. The one exception came in 2008 when the Giants were 6-1 on their way to 12-4 and the NFC’s top seed. Could these Giants, who, like that team, is defending a Super Bowl title, be on the same path to a dominant regular season?

“I hope not,” said former Giants center Shaun O’Hara, now an analyst for NFL Network.

“Our track record, the last time we were 12-4 we lost to Philly in the divisional round,” he said. “This team is much better at 10-6 and 9-7 as far as the postseason is concerned.”

After the hot starts under Coughlin the results have been mixed: Two Super Bowl titles, three playoff losses and three second-half collapses. They will try and build on this season’s playoff prospects when they take on a Cowboys team that beat them 24-17 in the season opener at MetLife Stadium. Not much has gone right for the 3-3 Cowboys since, and not much has gone wrong for the Giants." Read more...

Dallas WR Has Disappeared Sicne Stunnnig Giants in Week 1

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...uKKcDG26ng5JnM

Excerpt: "As if allowing Kevin Ogletree to go off on opening night wasn’t embarrassing enough for the Giants, his disappearing act since then only makes it look worse.

The Queens native had a dream night for the Cowboys against his hometown team on Sept. 5, with Ogletree hauling in eight catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns — all career highs — in front of friends, family and a national prime-time audience to power a 24-17 Dallas win over the Giants at MetLife Stadium.

But any thoughts that it could be a breakout game for the fourth-year slot receiver have been forgotten the past six weeks, right along with Ogletree’s presence in the Cowboys’ offense as they prepare for Sunday’s NFC East rematch." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Vinny DiTrani's NFL Picks For Sunday, October 28th

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...__Oct__28.html

Excerpt: "Last week's bookend games make us wonder why we continue this practice in futility. First, a yellow flag falls from heaven to apparently give us a Thursday night win. But 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh declines the penalty and safety, so we wind up with a push. On Monday night, the Lions score with a half-minute left to make us half-point losers. In between, however, we did a little better than we have recently.

So we will march on with our Week 8 selections.

Worth watching

Giants over *Cowboys, giving 1 1/2 — Losing Sean Lee is a blow to the Dallas defense. Plus the Giants don't want Jerry Jones' preseason boast to play out." Read more...
    Game of the week

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS.COM

Tackle David Diehl Learning New Role

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...5-9f1b6ef9b4bb

Excerpt: "David Deihl has stood in the Giants’ offensive huddle for 10 years, but a couple of weeks ago he needed directions to find his proper spot.

For the first time in his career, Diehl wasn’t in the back with the offensive linemen. Because he was to line up as an extra tight end, he was a row closer to Eli Manning.

“The first time in practice it was a little strange,” Diehl said. “Asking the tight ends and the running backs to move over and being right in front of Eli during calls, it’s a little bit different than being on the outside looking in. But when you’re doing that stuff, you’re focused in and you’re doing your job.”

That’s what Diehl has done throughout his career. He has always been the Giants’ good soldier, probably never more so than in the last two weeks.

The versatile offensive lineman started the first 142 regular season and 11 postseason games in his 10-year career. Then he suffered a knee injury against Tampa Bay on Sept. 16 that forced him to miss three games. When he was ready to return, Sean Locklear was in his spot at right tackle, the offensive line was helping the backs run for almost 400 yards in two games and not allowing a sack in three. The coaches didn’t want to tinker with a successful combination, so Diehl found himself in two unusual roles – as a reserve and as a tight end." Read more...
    Safety Antrel Rolle On Cowboys' Romo

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...0-ba61d73915a7

Excerpt: "Around the NFL, there are many opinions of Tony Romo. Usually strong ones, too.

It comes with the territory of being a professional quarterback Antrel Rolle is no different. He has his own thoughts on the matter, and he’s the one who will be lining up against him on Sunday when the Giants take on the Cowboys.

“He’s an excellent quarterback in my eyes,” Rolle said. “I don’t think he gets the credit he deserves. When I watch film on him each and every night, some of the throws he makes, it still stuns me. He is very, very accurate. He has a very quick release. And more importantly, he has dangerous guys he can get the ball to.”

The last impression Romo left on Rolle and the Giants was in early September, a 22-of-29 performance for 307 yards and three touchdowns. Although he also tossed an interception in the game, Romo and the Cowboys dealt the defending champions their first loss since December.

Since then, Romo’s season has been an anomaly. Maintaining a 67.9 completion percentage, he has thrown eight interceptions since the opener (including five in Week 4 against Chicago), compared to just five touchdowns. The Giants will try to force more of those mistakes this time around." Read more...
    Injury Report - 10/25/2012

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...3-a94243765b61

Excerpt: "NEW YORK GIANTS

Did Not Participate in Practice
    RB Ahmad Bradshaw (Foot)
    LB Jacquian Williams (Knee)
    Limited Participation in Practice
    C David Baas (Ankle)
    DT Rocky Bernard (Quadriceps)
    S Kenny Phillips (Knee)

DALLAS COWBOYS

Did Not Participate in Practice
    C Phil Costa (Ankle)
    S Matt Johnson (Hamstring)
    DT Sean Lissemore (Ankle)
    RB DeMarco Murray (Foot)
    LB DeMarcus Ware (Illness)

Limited Participation in Practice
    RB Felix Jones (Knee)

Full Participation in Practice
    C/G Ryan Cook (Hamstring)
    LB Anthony Spencer (Shoulder)
    http://www.giants.com/

GIANTS 101

Giants' Perry Fewell: Chase Blackburn Is "Key To Our Success"

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/25/...o-our-success/

Mark Herzlich may ultimately be the future at middle linebacker for the New York Giants, but Chase Blackburn currently acts as one of the most important pieces of their defensive puzzle. And while he's grooming Herzlich to eventually surpass him, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell sees him as the key to their success.

"Chase is really the key to our success because he’s the quarterback of our defense," Fewell said. "He plays and he gets everyone lined up and he gets everyone on the same page and in the proper coverages and getting the guys up front doing the things they should be doing and then, in addition to that, he plays his technique and responsibility. I think Chase has been playing very steady for us. He’s been doing the job of a mike linebacker, what a mike linebacker should do, and I’m glad he’s on my footballteam."

That's significant praise given the uncertainty surrounding Blackburn during training camp, when there was speculation that he may not make the team,let alone win the starting job. But Blackburn is no stranger to doubt and adversity, as this time last year he was preparing for life after the NFL." Read more...

Martellus Bennett: It's Just Another Game

http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/26/...-another-game/

New York Giants tight end Martellus Bennett will facing his former team for the second time this season come Sunday afternoon. Of course, he was asked by the media again if this game meant anything more to him, but Bennett is keeping it professional, insisting this game against the Dallas Cowboys is just like any other.

"I have nothing to show the Cowboys or anything like that," Bennett said. "All my emotions are to this organization and to the things that we’re trying to build and relationships I’m trying to build with these guys here, so I have nothing to show them. I have nothing to show to anybody else outside this organization and myself."

Bennett had the reputation with Cowboys fans of being lazy, out of shape, and unfit to start in the NFL. But since joining the Giants he has been everything but that. Aside from proving he's a character that likes to have fun with his teammates and the media, he has showed a strong work ethic, came into camp in great shape, and he's been extremely productive." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Spotlight on.....Hakeem Nicks

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/2...n-hakeem-nicks

Excerpt: "The 2012 season did not start off as planned for New York Giants's star wide receiver Hakeem Nicks

Nicks suffered a broken foot back in May and needed surgery. He missed most of the offseason and was sidelined for most of training camp. He was able to start the season on time, but Week 1 he didn't look quite ready.

Nicks did not stand out in the first game against the Dallas Cowboys, only catching four passes for 38 yards."It was the first game. I was coming back from the foot surgery and trying to play it out, see how my foot was," said Nicks. "[Dallas] came out and they played hard."

Week 2 was his first big game, making 10 receptions for 199 yards and a touchdown and he was awarded Offensive Player of the Week.

Week 3, however was a short one due to a Thursday night game against the Carolina Panthers, but there was no worry or panic as Nicks' foot just didn't have enough time to recover ... or so we thought.Nicks' health concern turned out to be bigger than just recovering a sore foot.

The following week we learned that Nicks was going through a knee injury and had to miss the following game against the Philadelphia Eagles. He also missed the week after against the Cleveland Browns.When Nicks is healthy, there are many things he can do better for this offense like stretching the field and running after the catch, but with the knee issue it became much more difficult. It resulted to limiting his practice time and keeping him out of games.

"Dealing with the knee, my burst wasn't there," said Nicks. "I couldn't really separate in my routes and then with the foot, trying to get in and out of my breaks fast ... It was just having to feel it out." Read more...

Giants vs. Cowboys: What To Watch For

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/2...week-8-matchup

Excerpt: "The New York Giants laid an egg in their season-opening 24-17 loss to the Dallas Cowboys back in September. What could make this Sunday's game at Cowboys Stadium different? Let's look at some of the things to watch on Sunday.

Will the Giants play better defensively?

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell spoke this week about the Giants' defense not really being whole for the season opener, especially in the secondary. Prince Amukamara did not play. Michael Coe got hurt. Michael Boley and Jacquian Williams missed significant preseason time with injuries. Chris Canty was on PUP.

Now, the Giants seem to be in a much better place defensively. Williams and safety Kenny Phillips are out, but Keith Rivers can replace Williams and Stevie Brown has done an excellent job filling in for Phillips.

Hakeem Nicks' impact

We have been hearing about how Nicks is feeling better than he has all season, and how he believes he has some burst back after working through foot and knee issues. Can he be a difference-maker for the Giants on Sunday?" Read more...

Jason Garrett Hoping To Make Statement Against Giants

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/10/2...east-standings

Excerpt: "Taking out the defending Super Bowl champions in the season opener at MetLife Stadium made many believe the Dallas Cowboys were destined for a big year. If one were to just look at the Cowboys stats this year -- 10th in offense, seventh in passing and fifth in total defense, they would think the Cowboys are having a successful season. And yet they sit in the NFC East with only a 3-3 record on the year.

Head coach Jason Garrett believes a big reason for this is due to turnovers and the team's red zone play.

"We haven't gotten a lot of takeaways on defense, which always contributes to scoring points," Garrett said. "We have turned the ball over too much. We haven't been as consistent as we'd like to be in the red zone. We have to be able to be more efficient there, but also make some more plays once we get down there."

Hurting the team even more going into the game is the loss of starting linebacker Sean Lee, one of the leaders on defense and a key for the team in stopping both the run and the pass. Lee is lost for the season with a toe injury.

"Sean Lee is a great football player," Garrett said. "He's very good against the run, he's really good against the pass; leader of our defense, makes the calls. Guys gravitate towards him. They gravitate towards him on defense and really throughout our whole football team." Read more...

SITE LINK

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

Folger's Forecast: Giants @ Cowboys

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5397

Excerpt: "“Payback” is the Giants’ rallying cry this week. Dallas beat the Giants on Opening Night and it left a bad taste. We don’t think the Giants are playing their best ball just yet, but they seem to be improving. The Giants have two games left before their bye. Winning this week would give them a pretty good stranglehold on the division.

Dallas has struggled since their fine showing on Opening Night. Despite their spotty record they remain dangerous because their defense is solid and their offense still has plenty of weapons, albeit inconsistent ones. Injuries to RB DeMarco Murray and MLB Sean Lee really hurt. This game is much more of a must-win for Dallas than the Giants.

Giants on Offense

We were a bit surprised that last week’s game plan was so pass-centric, despite Washington’s vulnerability in that area. Tom Coughlin so often preaches balance, which we suspect he’ll return to this week since Dallas’ pass rushers are much more dangerous than Washington’s.

The challenge against Dallas is blocking that defensive front. We’re worried about David Baas, who had a tough pass-blocking game reacting to stunts and who has a bum ankle to boot. His two guards will have to be really alert to repel Dallas’ interior attacks on that perceived weakness.

The tackles will have their hands full on the edge with DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer, who played well last week. They will need plenty of help. The best way to slow down all these pass rushers is to run the ball, which we suspect would make Ahmad Bradshaw absolutely giddy.

With Andre Brown back in the mix, David Wilson did not touch the ball on offense last week, but we hope the coaches continue to try to get the ball in his hands. Wilson’s electrifying kickoff returns have whetted our appetite to see more of this exciting rookie.

The Giants’ passing game is getting better each week, which is coinciding with the gradual return to health of Hakeem Nicks. With Martellus Bennett having shaken off his knee problems, it looks like Manning will have all his weapons available. Attacking the Dallas safeties seems like the best strategy as their corners are playing well.

Dallas will sorely miss Sean Lee (foot), their leading tackler and best short and intermediate pass defender. Replacement Dan Connor is a rather steep drop-off. Lots of doublewide formations will keep Connor on the field which is the smart thing to do; however, that will take away some of what Manning does so well, which is throwing to three wides out of the shotgun. It will be interesting to see which direction the coaches decide to go." Read more...

##

Diehl Willing To Fulfill Any Role

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5394

Excerpt: "“Number one, I’m just excited and happy to be back to 100 percent this week,” he said. “And just like anything, I want to contribute. Of course, I’d like to be starting out there and doing everything like I normally do, but if that doesn’t happen I’m not going to sit here, and sulk. I’m just going to fight and work.”

Diehl, who said that this was the first time he’s felt 100 percent since injuring his knee against Tampa Bay in Week 2, has been working as the team’s blocking tight end since returning to action against the 49ers. This week in practice, he had a little larger set of responsibilities due to the ankle injury suffered by center David Baas that kept him out of practice on Wednesday and limited him today.

“I pretty much did everything,” Diehl said. “Yesterday, with Baas out, I was playing left guard, starting at left guard, so, you know, that’s where playing all the different positions and versatility helps.”He also helped
    behind the scenes in terms of sharing his knowledge with teammates.

“I’ve been here for nine years, running this offense. I know what everybody on the field’s doing on every play,” he said. “When I was out, I was helping them watch film, breaking down things with them just like I normally would and on Sunday that would be no different, regardless of whether they said I would start or not.

“I’m not a selfish guy. The team’s always come first in my mind and most importantly everybody everyone knows how much this means to me and how much football means to me.” Read more...

Bradshaw Playing It Safe To Be Ready For Sunday

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5391

Excerpt: "Although he missed his second day of practice this week, running back Ahmad Bradshaw fully intended to play on Sunday when the Giants meet the Dallas Cowboys at the new Cowboys Stadium.

Bradshaw, who has fallen into a routine of late in which he sits out practice on Wednesday and returns on Thursday, raised a few eyebrows when he was spotted in the rehab area at the start of practice. But the veteran running back said that it was simply a precautionary move to improve his chances of making it through an entire game on Sunday.

“I feel good. I just don’t want to go out and get it sore during the week,” he said. “I don’t want any setbacks or anything prohibiting me from being 100 percent.”

Bradshaw said it was his idea to move his schedule day back by one day. “I am not having as much pain as I am usually having with it (in past). I will be practicing tomorrow which is a good step.”

When he takes the field on Sunday, he said he doesn’t plan to wear any special shoes or inserts, and he expressed confidence in being able to handle a sizeable workload if called upon.

“The foot is no problem when my adrenaline is running,” he said. “I don’t even think about it.”

His presence in the lineup would be huge for the Giants, who in the first meeting against the Cowboys, mustered only 82 yards on the ground, 78 of which came from Bradshaw on 17 carries, with one touchdown to boot." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

Giants Feel At Home At Cowboys' Stadium

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...-stadium.html/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants appear to be more comfortable playing in Cowboys Stadium than the team that actually calls it home.

When the first regular-season game was played at Jerry Jones’ billion-dollar football Xanadu in September 2009, the Giants were there and spoiled the party with a 33-31 victory over the Cowboys.

A year later, they stormed into Arlington and pulled out a 41-35 win that was overshadowed by the fractured left collarbone Tony Romo suffered during the game. Last December, the Giants prevailed again, defeating the Cowboys 37-34. The loss was part of a late-season slide that ultimately left the Cowboys out in the cold when the playoffs began." Read more...

QB Tony Romo Believes Cowboys Will Rally Around The Loss of Sean Lee

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/20...sean-lee.html/

Excerpt: "Sean Lee’s loss for the season is a devastating blow to the Cowboys defense.

Quarterback Tony Romo weighed in on what implications that has for the Cowboys offense.

“Sean has been exceptional for us,” Romo said. “He’s played outstanding football, not just this year but last year as well." Read more...

Cowboys' Felix Jones Returns To Practice

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...e/Default.aspx

Excerpt: "Cowboys running back Felix Jones (bruised knee) returned to practice Thursday after missing Wednesday's session, Calvin Watkins of ESPN Dallas reports.

Jones was wearing a brace on his left knee as he worked on the athletic cords during the portion of practice open to the media.

Also, outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware (flu) was seen at practice wearing a jersey but he didn't have his helmet. He left the fields before team stretching exercises Thursday." Read more...

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE

ESPN

Coordinators Ready For Dallas

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...coordinators-2

Excerpt: "Each Thursday, Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride and defensive coordinator Perry Fewell speak with reporters.

Here are some highlights from this week's sessions:

GILBRIDE

• Gilbride was asked about the Giants' 24-17 loss to the Cowboys in Week 1, and if Dallas didn't see their best football back then:

"I hope so. I certainly hope so. I think we’re a little healthier. I think we can play better. I think we played better as the game went on, unfortunately we got started slowly.

"I think they’re very good. I think they have an outstanding pass rush; they went out and spent a lot of money to get two terrific corners. They’ve got a lot of athletes that match up well against us and in fact, their design was to effectively keep us in check. It’s going to be a challenge."

FEWELL

• Fewell was asked if his defense is more in sync than it was in the Week 1 loss to the Cowboys:

"Oh definitely. I think we are more in sync. We still have a couple of guys on the sideline that we’ll get back in the next one or two weeks. We are getting healthier. I expect us to play better as the time goes on."

• Defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul has just 4.5 sacks through the first seven games of the season, after collecting 16.5 a year ago. But Fewell said the numbers don't tell the whole story.

"JPP plays at a very high level. When we watch him every week, he plays at a pretty high level every week. For him to have the numbers ... to produce those numbers consistently, that’s a little bit unrealistic. He has the capability to do that. When I look at the tape, I see him just dominate, and it might not show up in the statistics, but it shows up on the coaches tape where he just dominates a football game." Read more...

W2W4: Giants vs. Cowboys

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...nts-vs-cowboys

Excerpt: "The Giants are headed to Dallas -- where they practically own Cowboys Stadium, as much as Jerry Jones does.

They are 3-0 at Jones’ $1.2 billion stadium. If the Giants can make it four straight, they’ll not only disappoint Jones -- who told Dallas fans to come watch the Cowboys "beat the New York Giants' ***" earlier this summer -- but they will put themselves in solid position heading into the second half of the regular season.

Here are five things to watch for on Sunday in Dallas:

Stay the Mann:Eli Manning saves some of his best games for the Cowboys, especially in Dallas. He has won four of his last five games in Dallas, and has six 300-yard games in his career against the Cowboys -– more than he has against any other team.

In the new Cowboys Stadium, Manning has passed for at least 306 yards and two touchdowns in all three of his games. Dallas did hold Manning to 213 yards and one touchdown in the season opener. If the Cowboys’ improved secondary is the real deal, it will find a way to slow down Manning in Dallas.

Get Romo: The Giants sacked Tony Romo twice in the season opener, but defensive endsJason Pierre-Paul, Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora were shut out, as Romo was able to elude the rush for the most part.

The Giants can’t afford to let Romo make plays with his legs and right arm. Romo burned the Giants with three touchdowns back in September. " Read more...

Giants' Bennett: Its Just Another Game

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...t-another-game

Excerpt: "Martellus Bennett wouldn't take the bait on Thursday.

With the Giants facing the Cowboys on Sunday, reporters peppered the ex-Cowboy with questions about his former team, hoping the affable tight end would say something headline-worthy. Instead, Bennett played it cool.

"I have nothing to show the Cowboys or anything like that," Bennett said. "All my emotions are to this organization and to the things that we’re trying to build and relationships I’m trying to build with these guys here, so I have nothing to show them. I have nothing to show to anybody else outside this organization and myself."

Bennett, 25, was the Cowboys' second-round draft pick back in 2008, out of Texas A&M. But he was underwhelming in his four seasons in Dallas, playing behind five-time All-Pro Jason Witten, and averaging just 21 catches for 212 yards per year. " Read more...

Diehl Is Healthy, Wants To Start Again

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...id/18761/diehl

Excerpt: "David Diehl wants his job back.

Whether he will get it is a whole 'nother story.

The veteran offensive lineman pronounced himself 100 percent healthy Thursday, after missing three games earlier this season with a knee injury. He has played the past two weeks, but hasn't regained his starting role, instead being used as an extra lineman/tight end in the Giants' jumbo package.

"I wanna contribute, I wanna do anything I can, I wanna play. All the guys in here, all the guys around me know how hard I worked to get back, and get back healthy, and get back feeling good," Diehl said. "But the most important thing I can do is continue to work hard like I do and support these guys and help them out in any way. " Read more...

Countdown Daily Prediction: Giants - Cowboys

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8551957

Excerpt: "The NFL Live crew makes their picks for the New York Giants at Dallas" WATCH VIDEO

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

PTFS Week Eight Picks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cks-2/related/

Excerpt: "Week Seven was a very lucky week for yours truly. With an unlucky 13 games on the schedule, I got 12 of them correct, with only a late comeback from the Titans blocking an unprecedented piece of perfection.

More importantly, MDS and I disagreed on three games. Thanks to the Cowboys, Saints, and Colts, my two-game season-to-date lead has been extended to five games.

For the year, I’m now 67-37, and MDS is 62-42.

MDS will join Thursday’s PFT Live to discuss this week’s picks. There will be no gloating.

At least not by him.

GIANTS @ COWBOYS

MDS’s take
    : Completing a season sweep of the Giants would go a long way toward getting the Cowboys into playoff contention, but I don’t see it happening. The Cowboys’ defense will miss linebacker Sean Lee, Giants quarterback Eli Manning will have a big day, and the Giants will improve to 4-0 all time at Cowboys Stadium.

MDS’s pick
    : Giants 31, Cowboys 20.

Florio’s take
    : The Cowboys aren’t nearly as good as they were in Week One, when they beat the Giants in New Jersey. The Giants are the same, but this time they won’t get complacent.

Florio’s pick
    : Giants 35, Cowboys 27." Read more...

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

Game Locks: Week 8

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player...s_NFL/30947861

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

Key Matchup: Giants' Run Game vs. Dallas' Defense

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...owboys-defense

Excerpt: "Cowboys ILB Sean Lee (toe) is out for the season. The Giants might be limited with RB Ahmad Bradshaw’s foot a lingering problem. Who has the edge?

“This is the second week and he clenches his teeth and goes and does it,” Giants head coach Tom Coughlin said of Bradshaw. “But the fact of the matter is if we have to adjust, then we will adjust.”

You could see the Lee-less Cowboys shift into some 4-3 looks, which they have shown this season, but that would not be a full-time solution. It just would be something the Cowboys could use on first and second downs to alleviate not having their best tackler on the field. It also would put a bigger front line out there with two nose tackles and two larger, space-eating ends.

We’ll see how much newly signed LB Ernie Sims factors in. He has never played in a 3-4 in the pros. Dan Connor would be Lee’s primary replacement. The Cowboys still must tackle, and Lee was their best seek-and-flow linebacker.

The Giants — no matter who is out there — will attack you head on, with either Bradshaw or Andre Brown or rookie David Wilson. C David Baas is back practicing again, so that’s a good sign for a line that generally speaking has done a nice job — as have the tight ends — when blocking for basic power plays." Read more...

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

3TFO: Giants @ Cowboys, Week 8

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...owboys-week-8/

Excerpt: "The first NFC East rematch of the year finds the New York Giants traveling to Dallas to take on the Cowboys. After sweeping their division rivals in the last month of the 2011 season, the Cowboys were again able to upset the reigning Super Bowl Champions on opening night seven weeks ago.

The Cowboys own a 3-3 record and have not played another divisional opponent yet. They, like many teams around the league, have suffered some devastating injuries (including stud linebacker Sean Lee). There’s also been problems that have plagued Dallas before this season, including clock management issues that helped them walk out of Baltimore with a lose despite rushing for over 225 yards.

The Giants are much better off, with a 5-2 record, but those two losses came against the Cowboys and another divisional rival, the Philadelphia Eagles. They were able to finally win an NFC East game last week at home versus the RG3-led Washington Redskins, but they needed a 77-yard TD pass — where two DBs inexplicably let Victor Cruz run by them untouched — to secure that victory.

Both defenses usually suffer when Eli Manning and Tony Romo faceoff. Thus, expect an entertaining and high-scoring affair this Sunday." Read more...

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS

Buccaneers Blow Out Vikings, 37 - 16, Dealing Minnesota Its First Home Loss

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Bu...home_loss.html

Last edited by RoanokeFan; 10-26-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran
    Thanks bro.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatYale View Post
    Thanks bro.
    You're welcome
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Starter
    This is going to be a tough game-got to stay disiplined on the DL. Dallas does have some large, fast receivers-hoping Nicks is truly up to snuff if it is a shootout.

Thanks for the read!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Giant View Post
    This is going to be a tough game-got to stay disiplined on the DL. Dallas does have some large, fast receivers-hoping Nicks is truly up to snuff if it is a shootout.

Thanks for the read!
    It will indeed. But it's the kind of game where we need to be confident and take it to them on both sides of the ball.

# 80

thank you Sir.....
    dont care what anybody says about Deihl. He is Giant through and through.....love the guy and his attitude.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thank you Sir.....
    dont care what anybody says about Deihl. He is Giant through and through.....love the guy and his attitude.
    Agree 100% I do find it interesting they have him practicing as a tight end. I wonder if he has "hands"? They tried that one end zone pass to Beatty a few games back.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Agree 100% I do find it interesting they have him practicing as a tight end. I wonder if he has "hands"? They tried that one end zone pass to Beatty a few games back.
    You never know. Prob more to keep Ware out of Eli's face. That would be great. Eli getting a TD to a big dopey olineman vs Dallas.
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    You never know. Prob more to keep Ware out of Eli's face. That would be great. Eli getting a TD to a big dopey olineman vs Dallas.
    First job is always protect Eli. But can you imagine Diehl catching a TD??

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    First job is always protect Eli. But can you imagine Diehl catching a TD??
    that would be so freakin' great for the team and for Diehl. Would pump up the whole team big time....