+ Reply to Thread

Now the real season begins

Somehow, some way, here we are at 6-2. Again. We've all seen this movie before.

2004: 5-3
    2005: 6-2
    2006: 6-2
    2007: 6-2
    2008: 7-1
    2009: 5-3
    2010: 6-2
    2011: 6-2
    2012: 6-2

It really is amazing that this is what happens every year, isn't it? But somehow, we're here again.

Now is where we find out what really happens with this team. The 2nd half record gets ugly...

2004: 1-7
    2005: 5-3
    2006: 2-6
    2007: 4-4
    2008: 5-3
    2009: 3-5
    2010: 4-4
    2011: 3-5

(27-37)
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

3-5 the final 8 to goto 9-7, altho ugly and controversial, would win us the division.
    4-4 gives us cushion.

im kinda disappointed with eli, still waitin on that playoff eli to show up more consistently and i think we see it vs pit tbh...division opponents have invested 3-4 yrs now on stopping eli

Isn't it amazing that we only had 2 winning second half records in 8 years, and one of those was the Burress nightmare. Looking at the schedule we could win them all or lose them all. 3-5 is not going to do it this year. How about something new like 6-2 or 7-1....

not to be a **** but it does need pointing out, the OP went on about this last yr to the point of calling for a new coaching staff...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    not to be a **** but it does need pointing out, the OP went on about this last yr to the point of calling for a new coaching staff...
    Yes, I did, I will admit it. Finishing this way is not good. That's a .422 2nd half winning percentage. I still feel that way, it's not good to go limping into the playoffs like that and it helps explain the 3 one-and-done playoff appearances, and it explains why this team has ONE home playoff win since 2001. I mean, it's great that this team finds a way to win on the most difficult path possible, but this is not generally how it happens. Championship teams usually play their BEST in the 2nd half of the season, not their worst.

However, my problem with Coughlin last year was that I thought it was a Joe Torre situation where we are waiting for magic to happen again but year after year it doesn't happen. And then it DID happen again. I said I'd get off his back if he won a home playoff game.

So now I just accept that this is how these teams are, for whatever reason. It's not like Coughlin PLANS to only be good in the first 8 games and bad in the second 8 games; the players have changed, the coaches have changed from 2004. Yet here we are again. We'll either flame out or go all the way, no in between. Every year we go 6-2, every year we stumble down the stretch. Once in a while we get our act together and play like we are capable of.
    Last edited by SweetZombieJesus; 10-29-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Veteran
    I think the schedule is tough and the gales of Nov. and Dec. play a part...

What I would like to see is our injury situation going into the second half of the season. The times we won it all we had guys coming back and that helped.

04 we gave the keys over to Eil after going 5-4
    05 we signed guys off the street to play d and got blown out by Carolina
    06 not sure
    07 started 0-2 and went on a run then a loosing streak and got hot again
    08 Burris enough said
    09 piss poor planning SS got hurt and Eli admitted no one else knew how to play the slot
    10 not sure
    11 injuries through out the year and then guys came back and we got hot again.

I think its accurate please correct if any of it is wrong.