+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Defense should be able to stop a one dimensional offense.

Yes our offense failed to move the ball. Yes our defense forced 6 turnovers In the end though IMO it was the defense that almost lost this game. I expect any game we put up 29 pts to be a win for the good guys.

Despite the turnovers this is why I think our D stunk it up.

The Cowboys had 19 rushing yards total. Total. They completely gave up on the run at the end of the game yet our D was giving up huge chunks of yardage.

Think about it. For basically the entire 2nd half (and surely the 4th quarter) our entire defensive line could rush the passer like it was 3rd and long. Our linebackers and secondary could cover without worrying about play action. Yet despite this we were swiss cheese. We need to do better plain and simple.

The Cowboys receivers beat our guys plain and simple. For the past two weeks how many times are we going to let a receiver have a free run 15 yards down the field?
    We also had no answers for Witten. No matter who we had covering him he found ways to get open.

I think half the story was them thinking the game was already won in the 1st qtr and going on cruise control with the other half being them gassing due to the ineptitude of our offense.

So although I agree w/ you to an extent, to be fair to the D, its hard to get after it for a whole half when your offense keeps on going 3 & out, thus giving you no rest or anything.

They did man up in the end when it got close though....

and Witten ran 2 or 3 routes all game

and 90% of them were the old......gain inside leverage and break outside ....little 7 yd route that he and Romo love and got us with all but I think once

Austin also was working Price quite well

Hosely had his hands full as well

the Giants often have problems with that offense

made for an exciting game and a tough W

didn't seem like press man or zone was working yesterday ......it happens

they were shedding the jams and finding the soft spots in zones

and Corey blew that one play

I don't think it is anything to worry about

Giants Cowboys is always a heart attack waiting to happen

Stevie Brown may make it tough for Kenny to get his job back

EVGiant17, while I do understand where you are coming from, our D worked hard to get those 6 turnovers. What more could you ask from them? I blame the Offense more than anybody for failing to earn more than one touchdown when the Defense managed to get almost all their turnovers into Dallas territory, and even got a pick 6 from one of them. Our defense was on the field for most of the game. I can imagine they were fatigued and that affected them a lot.

Yes, Dallas came back to score 24 points, but when you factor in that we ended up with 5 field goals - 2 of which should have been touchdowns, and the score wouldn't have been so close. FG's don't guarantee wins. Our D managed to pull us through this game.
    Adversity makes for a worthy adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by G-MANning4Life View Post
    EVGiant17, while I do understand where you are coming from, our D worked hard to get those 6 turnovers. What more could you ask from them? I blame the Offense more than anybody for failing to earn more than one touchdown when the Defense managed to get almost all their turnovers into Dallas territory, and even got a pick 6 from one of them. Our defense was on the field for most of the game. I can imagine they were fatigued and that affected them a lot.

Yes, Dallas came back to score 24 points, but when you factor in that we ended up with 5 field goals - 2 of which should have been touchdowns, and the score wouldn't have been so close. FG's don't guarantee wins. Our D managed to pull us through this game.
    Almost all of the turnovers were absolute gifts. No hard work required. Fumble by Dez Bryant? Minimal contact. Fumble by Jones? He ran into his own guy? The four interceptions. Horribly thrown balls that looked meant for defenders. What more do I want? Dallas punted 1 time in the 2nd half. Dallas punted 0 times in the third quarter. That is bothersome.

Veteran
    I prayed every time I saw them line up in man coverage

Three words: Witten, Witten, Witten. We know they'll use him to get the 5-6 yard plays, Dallas knows it's going to happen, Romo knows if all else fails there's Witten, the Giants know he's going to get the ball over over and over again. For years I"ve watched Witten kill us. This time though Dallas has good wide receivers so the Giants can't simply focus on Witten. Unfortunately, Romo figured that out, started throwing to Witten for the 6 yard gains and it opened up his wide receivers. It drives me crazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGiant17 View Post
    Almost all of the turnovers were absolute gifts. No hard work required. Fumble by Dez Bryant? Minimal contact. Fumble by Jones? He ran into his own guy? The four interceptions. Horribly thrown balls that looked meant for defenders. What more do I want? Dallas punted 1 time in the 2nd half. Dallas punted 0 times in the third quarter. That is bothersome.
    Regardless, turnovers are the epitome of what you want from a defense. Gift or not, we got 6 of them, six! How in the world do you NOT score TD's from almost any of them? And I'm definitely not arguing with you. You make valid points that the D was weak to stop the Dallas drives when they didn't turn the ball over. However, the offense was a lot worse and should take more blame.
    Adversity makes for a worthy adversary.

Quote Originally Posted by EVGiant17 View Post
    Yes our offense failed to move the ball. Yes our defense forced 6 turnovers In the end though IMO it was the defense that almost lost this game. I expect any game we put up 29 pts to be a win for the good guys.

Despite the turnovers this is why I think our D stunk it up.

The Cowboys had 19 rushing yards total. Total. They completely gave up on the run at the end of the game yet our D was giving up huge chunks of yardage.

Think about it. For basically the entire 2nd half (and surely the 4th quarter) our entire defensive line could rush the passer like it was 3rd and long. Our linebackers and secondary could cover without worrying about play action. Yet despite this we were swiss cheese. We need to do better plain and simple.
    How many points did our offense bring in within a normal drive....meaning not a drive on turnovers?
    Eli and our offense couldn't get points on the board...if they could then we would have destroyed Dallas' confidence and they would not have played all game like they had a chance and momentum.

The defense did a lot but can only sustain so much offense...if our offense is not on the field then our defense is, and they are tired and the 'boys had more time to get points on the board

I will say the defensive scheme quickly switched to "bend dont break" which witten was a beneficiary of...I don't like that scheme at all...I like aggressive play but our offense is why we struggled in that game...look at the stats