+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eli is being held back.

O.K. I have been a Giants fan for over 20 years. And I must say I think Eli is being held back in this offense. How many times have we seen his Brother yell at guys to stay on the sideline when the coach clearly called something else and it worked. Eli's is very smart and studies like nobody else to be great. And I think if given the opportunity to call his own plays , well, let's just say with this teams overall talent, you'd never see anything else like it. Im not making a Eli v Peyton thread so shut up if you have any thoughts on that. I'm only saying I think he has all the tools to run this offense like he sees fit and put up huge numbers. His post game comments seem to support this theory. "settling for field goals" is something we hear way too much.

Veteran
    This is going to be ugly, I'm out.

Veteran
    What? Gilbride gives Eli a set of plays and Eli is free to change and audible at the line of scrimmage.

are you kidding me, how the hell is Eli being held back. He commands the offense because he has been given full freedom from the coaches. Bradshaw was having a Pinky the Cat moment last week because Eli decided to pass instead of run.

Veteran
    You can't mention what peyton does and then say how come eli doesnt do this as well - there is one simple reason - these are two different men. Eli is simply not as boisterous - he leads in a much different way. Calling your own plays doesn't automatically make you better - that and eli can make all the checks and audibles he likes - and often does. Seems like you just want the pomp and frills of him running a no huddle and yelling out plays like peyton does - just not sure why as eli is thriving and so is the offense.

2 superbowls in 4 years and 2 mvps, how is that being held back? last time I checked Peyton doesn't have that.

I think this misses the mark.... Gilbride gives him leeway, I'm sure they can draw up something new if they see it!

I guess. You guys make good points. I just felt like he could be even better if he ran the offense. Every qb audibles and changes plays, nothing special there. I mean most people think Killdrive isn't good one week then brilliant because they've won two superbowls together. I don't know. I just drove from Charlotte to Memphis and made that post. I was tired......

Quote Originally Posted by gfanblue View Post
    O.K. I have been a Giants fan for over 20 years. And I must say I think Eli is being held back in this offense. How many times have we seen his Brother yell at guys to stay on the sideline when the coach clearly called something else and it worked. Eli's is very smart and studies like nobody else to be great. And I think if given the opportunity to call his own plays , well, let's just say with this teams overall talent, you'd never see anything else like it. Im not making a Eli v Peyton thread so shut up if you have any thoughts on that. I'm only saying I think he has all the tools to run this offense like he sees fit and put up huge numbers. His post game comments seem to support this theory. "settling for field goals" is something we hear way too much.
    Unbelievable
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    I will concede that the play calling seems to get too conservative in the red zone. I was hollering about them insisting upon establishing the run. I wouldn't have minded if they were ripping off chunks like we were getting from Brown, but for whatever reason it isn't happening with ABI.

I will also concede that I don't know who is making these calls. I'm pretty sure that a play or 2 is sent in, but whether Eli is making the final decision or just sticking with the play called is the grey area for me. I would tend to believe that ultimately Eli is making the decision.