+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After Slow Start, Giants Might Be NFC's Top Team

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...ZxYaUUoD1o6ccO

Excerpt: "Through the first three games of the season, the Giants were 1-2, had already lost two games within the NFC East and seemed to be creaking a bit under the weight of the post-Super Bowl experience. With a schedule that might be the most difficult in the league, nagging injuries cropping up all over the roster and a division that looked to be exploding with competition, it figured the Giants would have a long, grueling struggle to get in position to make one of their patented playoff surges.

Five weeks after they disgusted themselves down in Philadelphia, blowing numerous chances in a 19-17 loss to the Eagles, the Giants are 6-2 and in control of the NFC East, opening up a 2 1/2-game lead on the Eagles and Cowboys and knowing after Sunday’s clash with the Steelers there is a bye week sitting there to rejuvenate them for the stretch run.

Even though the Falcons are the only undefeated team in the league, it is a growing feeling the Giants can rule the conference since they can beat anyone, anywhere and, interestingly, in almost any manner. They are built to win a shootout or a slugfest, and are able to come from behind or play from ahead. Based on their pedigree and recent history, the Giants know how to fight their way out of a corner, with Eli Manning throwing his way out of it or the on-again, off-again pass rush powering its way through.

A look back on what’s gone down:" Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

if the giants were undefeated and some article was trying to suggest that a 6-2 team was probably better than us, i'd be kinda ticked off.

so while the respect is nice, until we play atlanta, we're not the best team in the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by CDN_G-FAN View Post
    if the giants were undefeated and some article was trying to suggest that a 6-2 team was probably better than us, i'd be kinda ticked off.

so while the respect is nice, until we play atlanta, we're not the best team in the conference.
    It sells lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Oh Paul Schwartz...the Giants were not 1-2 this year, they were 2-1...

And were 0-2 in the NFC East after 4 games. Clearly just a typo, but I don't think the start was that slow haha.

Starter
    Not to mention that we were actually one boneheaded passing play an a questionable offensive pass interference penalty away from winning in Philly. Still don't understand why they had to throw the ball there. Eli got too ambitious

So negative, always. Damned if we do, damned if we dont. Lets just never include the Giant in the media, whether good or bad. Actually the more I think about it, that could work.

I understand what you're saying, but you're not quite correct. Being 7-0 is amazing, and because of that "0" they are the best team "on paper'...but here's a little competitive analysis:

Falcons have played:
    Chiefs, Broncos (Peyton was still getting in the groove), Chargers, Panthers, Redskins,Raiders Eagles. Now....correct me if i'm wrong. but it seems the Birds have not played any team of "substance" as of yet...........AND.....they beat the Panthers by 2 points. So...are they better then the jints....i don't think so. We CRUSHED them last year, they didn't score one single point (was a safety ).
    I miss Red Hook!

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028 View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but you're not quite correct. Being 7-0 is amazing, and because of that "0" they are the best team "on paper'...but here's a little competitive analysis:

Falcons have played:
    Chiefs, Broncos (Peyton was still getting in the groove), Chargers, Panthers, Redskins,Raiders Eagles. Now....correct me if i'm wrong. but it seems the Birds have not played any team of "substance" as of yet...........AND.....they beat the Panthers by 2 points. So...are they better then the jints....i don't think so. We CRUSHED them last year, they didn't score one single point (was a safety ).
    Well said!

I remember in the 2008 season, Boomer Esiason was calling the Giants 'paper tigers' because their 9-1 record wasn't an actual indication of how good they are - especially after adding up the records of the teams they had beaten which were all either at 500 or under. That was....until the Giants played the Steelers and beat them did everyone fall in line and said they were for real.

Now, I'm not discounting the Falcons one bit, but, I must say, I am NOT impressed with who they beat. And, of course, they have the stigma of the 'only unbeaten team' weighing on them which, to me, is like a boil on your backside. Teams who start out hot seem to lose steam towards the end (ahem 2007 Patriots and last year's Packers). It's not about starting strong, but finishing strong.

Truth be told, I'm more concerned about the Giants facing the Packers and Saints rather than the Falcons.

Bench Player
    Losses build character and so do tough schedules. The Giants are the best team in the NFC East despite playing games where they tend to allow teams to stick around (Cowboys, Eagles).

As long as they make the playoffs and are relatively healthy this team can win it all. I don't care about what the experts think, they never get it right. Experts always pick Philly or Dallas and it never pans out.

I may be in the minority here but the Giants schedule last season and even the injuries helped them become a more complete team. They became a more complete team and a deep one as well.

I agree. Any given Sunday. Anything can happen. Our team has played very well the first half of the season. I just hope this November and December we can sustain the same pace.