+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Question Let the debate begin: Eli or Big Ben

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...eli-or-big-ben

When the Steelers play the Giants on Sunday, there will be something swirling at New York's MetLife Stadium that has nothing to do with a superstorm. It's the long-running debate over whether Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning is the best quarterback from the 2004 draft.

Roethlisberger and Manning are known for winning Super Bowls (they've combined to win four of the eight played since they entered the league). They're known for making big plays in big moments. They're known for being tough, albeit in different ways. And they have been forever linked since the day they were drafted in the first round eight years ago. Manning was selected first overall, and Roethlisberger was taken at No. 11. The margin between them is much, much closer now.

Choosing between Roethlisberger and Manning is difficult because there really isn't a right answer or a wrong one. It ultimately comes down to preference and perspective. In his preseason quarterback rankings, John Clayton put Roethlisberger at No. 4 and Manning at No. 5. In Ron Jaworski's rankings, Manning is No. 5 and Roethlisberger is No. 6.

"By any measure, in terms of how you would grade them -- wins, production, leading your team from behind, frightening the other team, forcing the other team to adjust to what they do -- they're virtually identical," said Bill Polian, an NFL analyst for ESPN Insider who spent 24 seasons as a general manager in the league.
    There's also a couple polls here: http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls?pCat=46&sCat=3335

the one i had to think about most was: "Which team would go the farthest this season if they switched quarterbacks? Giants with Ben Roethlisberger or Steelers with Eli Manning?"

I think they are both very good QB's, but I'd take Manning over Roethlisberger. As a Giants fan, I'm biased.

Also, I think Eli Manning is a good, decent person, and I think Roethlisberger is an arrogant scumbag. I realize that has nothing to do with wins and losses, but I think the character of the player helps to build the tradition and culture of an organization......for example, George Martin, Harry Carson, Phil Simms, Mark Bavaro......great guys on and off the field.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 10-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

I don't think it really matters both teams are happy with their guy. However Ben has had his off the field issues while Manning has been a model citizen.

I'd take Eli. They're both great QBs, but I love Eli as a player and a person a lot more.

Both quarterbacks are elite, but obviously I'd choose Eli over any other qb in the league.

Eli: "You actually caught a pass!"

Hmm I still think they would of won 1 SB a piece at the least if they were on the opposite team. Gotta admit it would of been interesting to see Eli as a player deal with a new coaching staff or offensive coordinator like Big Ben has this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Hmm I still think they would of won 1 SB a piece at the least if they were on the opposite team. Gotta admit it would of been interesting to see Eli as a player deal with a new coaching staff or offensive coordinator like Big Ben has this year.
    Difference Ben complains to the media about the offense while Eli would keep his mouth shut and work harder to make the offense better. They are complete opposites personality wise.

This is a job for the N"if"L.....

Both are great QB's. Their excellent leaders of their teams, they throw the ball well, read defensive schemes quickly and are pretty tough hombre's.

The one thing that Eli stands out most over Ben is that he's clutch. 2 minutes left in the game and my team needs a TD to win I can't think of any QB in the league right now who I'd rather have the ball than Eli.

Bench Player
    Ugh... I had to listen to this all day. I live in Pittsburgh and the local radio posed the "who would you rather have? Would you trade one for the other? Would either one fare well if the cities were switched?"

To a man, every caller was like -- "Ben is much stronger than Eli, Eli isn't tough enough, Eli has always played behind an above average line, Eli couldn't make it in Pittsburgh because of the shadow of Bradshaw, Eli has the benefit of playing for Coughlin who worked with Belichick and is a Parcells disciple (I guess is the logic for how we won our super bowls?), it goes on and on.

Me, the voice of reason decided to call in to state the facts and was told my comments were "inaccurate" My statement of facts were the reason Ben's line is so crappy due to the front office not evaluating talent as well as our front office, Eli has not had a top 5 line in a good 2-3 years if not longer and that Ben doesn't have the mental make-up to make it in NY, when pressed I stated -- look at his tantrums he has about play calling and whining to the press about his injuries, neither would go over in NY. I didn't even start on the rape allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by smlst40 View Post
    Ugh... I had to listen to this all day. I live in Pittsburgh and the local radio posed the "who would you rather have? Would you trade one for the other? Would either one fare well if the cities were switched?"

To a man, every caller was like -- "Ben is much stronger than Eli, Eli isn't tough enough, Eli has always played behind an above average line, Eli couldn't make it in Pittsburgh because of the shadow of Bradshaw, Eli has the benefit of playing for Coughlin who worked with Belichick and is a Parcells disciple (I guess is the logic for how we won our super bowls?), it goes on and on.

Me, the voice of reason decided to call in to state the facts and was told my comments were "inaccurate" My statement of facts were the reason Ben's line is so crappy due to the front office not evaluating talent as well as our front office, Eli has not had a top 5 line in a good 2-3 years if not longer and that Ben doesn't have the mental make-up to make it in NY, when pressed I stated -- look at his tantrums he has about play calling and whining to the press about his injuries, neither would go over in NY. I didn't even start on the rape allegations.
    Eli isn't tough enough????? The same guy who hasn't missed a game since he became the starting QB? Seriously? He has always played with an above average OLine? The Oline almost got him killed las,t year and they still won it all.

Eli wouldn't make it in Pittsburgh because of the shadow of Bradshaw? LOL He's had to live in the shadow of his big brother AND his father his whole life. He went to the same college where his father was a legend. AND he plays in New York. One of the hardest, if not the hardest, place to play. Eli laughs in the face of pressure everyday.