+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gola: Arcorsi Trade For Eli Manning Changed More Than Just Giants

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1195305

Excerpt: "Ernie Accorsi had no idea how he was affecting the power structure of the NFL when he traded for Eli Manning on draft day, 2004. All the then-GM of the Giants cared about was his team.

But, looking back, as Manning and Ben Roethlisberger get set for one of their rare head-to-head showdowns Sunday, itís accurate to call it a four-Super Bowl deal, five if you throw in the one Roethlisberger lost.

The Giants had Roethlisberger ahead of Philip Rivers on their value board and Accorsi confirms they would have taken him with the fourth pick had Archie Manning not objected the thought of his kid playing for the Chargers. Turns out Eliís dad was quite the prophet. And that would have left the Steelers, drafting eighth, with Rivers.

Would Eli have won two Super Bowls with the Chargers? Not likely, considering the path of that dysfunctional franchise.

Would Roethlisberger have won two Super Bowls with the Giants? Maybe, if Roethlisberger stayed healthy the right seasons.

Would the Steelers have won two Super Bowls with Rivers? Probably not. At least he hasnít so far shown he can win many big games.

That means, of course, Pittsburgh fans have Accorsi to thank for their recent success.

Had they played each other more often than just twice (Big Big won their rookie meeting, Eli won in 2008), this could have been a rivalry to match the one Eliís brother, Peyton, has with Tom Brady.

Think about it. Either Roethlisberger or Manning has quarterbacked in five of the last seven Super Bowls." Read more...
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

I think that either team could have won with Rivers -- he was, and probably still is, a very good QB. The difference is in the coaching, management, talent, and how the teams are built.

That being said, I'm glad that everything turned out the way that it did.

I think Benn could of won SBs here. However under the bright lights of NYC who knows how much trouble the guy could of gotten in here. I think it worked out for the best
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    I think that either team could have won with Rivers -- he was, and probably still is, a very good QB. The difference is in the coaching, management, talent, and how the teams are built.

That being said, I'm glad that everything turned out the way that it did.
    Strongly disagree. No question, Rivers has all the attributes of an elite QB, but from what I've seen, he's more a shucker than an elite QB. For his first several years he was living off the physicality and athleticism of Jackson and Gates as his primary receivers; oftentimes just throwing the ball up for grabs, knowing that the odds were heavily in favor of his guy outmaneuvering for the ball. It didn't hurt that he also had both LT II and Sprowells, a pair of elite running backs who kept the defense honest, and who were both great in the short passing game. He was NEVER a finesse or precision passer, and rarely had to come from behind.. I also question his preparation vis-a-vis guys such as Eli, Peyton, Brady and others. No way do I put Rivers in the same class as either Eli or Ben.

"I test how other people deal with reality"
    they can also thank our staff for trading out and going after sinorice moss which gave them Santonio Homles SB mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Harooni View Post
    they can also thank our staff for trading out and going after sinorice moss which gave them Santonio Homles SB mvp.

Hey, the sun even shines on a dog's *** every once in a while. That said, let's not go pretending that Holmes is anything more than a decent receiver who had a good game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1195305

Excerpt: "Ernie Accorsi had no idea how he was affecting the power structure of the NFL when he traded for Eli Manning on draft day, 2004. All the then-GM of the Giants cared about was his team.

But, looking back, as Manning and Ben Roethlisberger get set for one of their rare head-to-head showdowns Sunday, itís accurate to call it a four-Super Bowl deal, five if you throw in the one Roethlisberger lost.

The Giants had Roethlisberger ahead of Philip Rivers on their value board and Accorsi confirms they would have taken him with the fourth pick had Archie Manning not objected the thought of his kid playing for the Chargers. Turns out Eliís dad was quite the prophet. And that would have left the Steelers, drafting eighth, with Rivers.

Would Eli have won two Super Bowls with the Chargers? Not likely, considering the path of that dysfunctional franchise.

Would Roethlisberger have won two Super Bowls with the Giants? Maybe, if Roethlisberger stayed healthy the right seasons.

Would the Steelers have won two Super Bowls with Rivers? Probably not. At least he hasnít so far shown he can win many big games.

That means, of course, Pittsburgh fans have Accorsi to thank for their recent success.

Had they played each other more often than just twice (Big Big won their rookie meeting, Eli won in 2008), this could have been a rivalry to match the one Eliís brother, Peyton, has with Tom Brady.

Think about it. Either Roethlisberger or Manning has quarterbacked in five of the last seven Super Bowls." Read more...
    I would not cast Rivers aside so lightly.........we might have won more SBs with him. He does not have the talent around him the Giants do, nor has he ever. Same for Big Ben.......he has profited from being on the right team at the right time.

I would rate all 3 guys roughly equal, which in itself is quite remarkable for one draft class..........none is in the class of Unitas, Staubach, or Montana.......or even ringless Dan Marino.......I compare Philips more to Marino......no D on his teams

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    I would not cast Rivers aside so lightly.........we might have won more SBs with him. He does not have the talent around him the Giants do, nor has he ever. Same for Big Ben.......he has profited from being on the right team at the right time.

I would rate all 3 guys roughly equal, which in itself is quite remarkable for one draft class..........none is in the class of Unitas, Staubach, or Montana.......or even ringless Dan Marino.......I compare Philips more to Marino......no D on his teams
    I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Rivers had Ladainian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates - they don't measure up to the talent either of the Giants' recent SB teams possessed? Darren Sproles, Mike Tolbert?

The Chargers have mostly been ok, defense-wise. They were one of the best in the league just a few years ago.
    Last edited by Flip Empty; 11-03-2012 at 12:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I'm not sure how you've come to that conclusion. Rivers had Ladanian Tomlinson, Vincent Jackson and Antonio Gates - but that doesn't measure up to the talent either of the Giants' recent SB teams possessed?

The Chargers have mostly been ok, defense-wise. They were one of the best in the league just a few years ago.
    If you have learned anything from the NFL now you must realize Offense wins regular season games (sometimes) Defense wins in the playoffs almost always......just like good pitching always beat good hitting. I have seen spectacular play from Rivers but his surrounding cast is always ordinary.....Tomlinson is a fraud....had a few good years when he used his early on quickness.......had no power at all EVER

I read an article recently that had Tomlinson rated #10 of all time runers and Sanders ranked #1 over Jim Brown........obviously this individual never watch Jim Brown play, and must be Tomlinsons brother....even our own Tiki was light years better than Tomlinson
    Last edited by BParcells777; 11-03-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WEG313 View Post
    Strongly disagree. No question, Rivers has all the attributes of an elite QB, but from what I've seen, he's more a shucker than an elite QB. For his first several years he was living off the physicality and athleticism of Jackson and Gates as his primary receivers; oftentimes just throwing the ball up for grabs, knowing that the odds were heavily in favor of his guy outmaneuvering for the ball. It didn't hurt that he also had both LT II and Sprowells, a pair of elite running backs who kept the defense honest, and who were both great in the short passing game. He was NEVER a finesse or precision passer, and rarely had to come from behind.. I also question his preparation vis-a-vis guys such as Eli, Peyton, Brady and others. No way do I put Rivers in the same class as either Eli or Ben.
    First rivers does not have the arm strength he had three years ago. His accuracy is off because he's trying to compensate for the lack of strength. Second if rivers could supposedly win with New York or Pittsburgh he should have been able to win with San Diego a very very talented team. Many people considered San Diego of much more talented team then New York for several seasons. How many years where they the Super Bowl favorite they went 14 n 2 one season. Finally Rivers has always benefited from an offense catered to throwing to the checked out options, such as the tight ends and running backs. This past game they just one rivers connected on eight or 10 of his passes to the running backs and to gates. In the fourth quarter, where the D scored two touchdowns, he attempted only one pass. He could not put up any points for touchdowns against Cleveland and first three quarters versa Kansas City team could only score 10 points. He has been highly overrated in my opinion, and the past two years are a result of the loss of strength in his arm and accuracy. I do not think he could've handled the pressure of playing in this market when he shown several instances of being unable to handle San Diego's team market. How did you guys like seeing Bradshaw screaming at coach on the side like a couple weeks ago? That will be rivers doing that. And I don't think Rivers would've won a Super Bowl here or Pittsburgh
    Last edited by giantsfan420; 11-03-2012 at 01:13 PM.