+ Reply to Thread

Next Man Up: Stevie Brown

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...1/next-man-up/

Stevie Brown, FS, New York Giants

Few defensive backs in the NFL embody the term “safety” as much as Kenny Phillips. In 2011, the Giants’ centerfielder allowed zero touchdowns, 232 yards, and less than two receptions per game. He’s been even better this season, surrendering just one catch for 14 yards in four starts, for an astounding 99.0 Coverage Snaps Per Reception. When Phillips went down with a sprained MCL against the Eagles in Week 4, the Giants turned to Stevie Brown. The journeyman backup has lacked Phillips’ consistency, but he’s made up for it with his playmaking.

Against the Cowboys, Brown gave up three receptions for 43 yards, but also tallied two interceptions and a fumble recovery. His most impressive takeaway came on Dallas’ first drive, when he tracked Tony Romo’s eyes and sprinted in front of Dez Bryant’s post pattern for the pick. However, Brown was late in closing on some underneath routes, allowing Miles Austin and Jason Witten to control the middle of the field. Brown has already surrendered 158 yards in just four starts this season, but his seven takeaways lead the NFL.

Survive or Succumb? Although it’s not the type of play that they’re used to from their free safety, the Giants have to be pleased with Brown’s ballhawking style. They’ll face a dilemma once Phillips is healthy enough to return, but I’m sure it’s a problem Tom Coughlin will love to have.

How can you measure how many catches are against a safety? I understand a CB, but a safety? That's kind of objective.

5trive for Fiv5

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    How can you measure how many catches are against a safety? I understand a CB, but a safety? That's kind of objective.
    I'll be the first to admit that PFF's coverage numbers aren't the most accurate but if you don't trust them, the eyeball test will tell you that KP is more sound in his coverages and rarely ever is late to stop a deep pass. Though there are times safeties are assigned to cover TEs and I imagine that is where most of Brown's yards allowed came from in the Dallas game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I'll be the first to admit that PFF's coverage numbers aren't the most accurate but if you don't trust them, the eyeball test will tell you that KP is more sound in his coverages and rarely ever is late to stop a deep pass. Though there are times safeties are assigned to cover TEs and I imagine that is where most of Brown's yards allowed came from in the Dallas game.
    Ive seen KP late a few times on coverages. I guess they are saying he is never the safety that blows a coverage, but again, I think only the coaches know that for sure. How many times can you see a CB let a WR go past him thinking a safety was over the top when the safety wasn't even near it, and its a blown coverage? Most of us don't know if it was the CBs responsibility or the Safeties.

5trive for Fiv5

We can safely say that Romo got "browned" on

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Ive seen KP late a few times on coverages. I guess they are saying he is never the safety that blows a coverage, but again, I think only the coaches know that for sure. How many times can you see a CB let a WR go past him thinking a safety was over the top when the safety wasn't even near it, and its a blown coverage? Most of us don't know if it was the CBs responsibility or the Safeties.
    A lot of that stuff really is up to interpretation. I guess what PFF saw when KP was playing was that most of the blown assignments were on Rolle when it involved deep plays (like the VD TD to the 49ers in the playoffs). KP could also be the benefactor of passes in his coverage being overthrown/underthrown so that could be another explanation for his unusually low yards allowed/receptions as well.