+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants' Perry Fewell Made Adjustments After Reviewing Final Sequence Of Plays Vs. Cow

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "The Giants' 29-24 win in Dallas last week came down to the Cowboys' final possession, a sequence in which they ran nine plays in the game's final 44 seconds.

The key play, of course, was the overturned 37-yard touchdown to Dez Bryant, when the receiver landed out of bounds by a fingertip. Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell found areas to learn from while breaking down the entire series.

"We went back, and I studied it," Fewell said Thursday. "I made some adjustments into what we need to do and how we can play that sequence better, but I thought they had a nice answer to what we tried to counter with."

Punter Steve Weatherford did a nice job booming a deep, out of bounds punt that put the Cowboys at their own 30-yard line to start. A 13-yard completion to tight end Jason Witten advanced them to their 43-yard line, and after a spike to stop the clock, quarterback Tony Romo was working with a second-and-10 at the 43 with 25 seconds to play.

Fewell praised the plays the Cowboys strung together at this point: A 16-yard completion to Bryant on an out-breaking route, followed by a 4-yard completion to Witten on another out-breaking route. That set up a second-and-6 from the Giants' 37-yard line, the play on which Bryant ran an out-and-up past cornerback Corey Webster into the end zone. Coach Tom Coughlin said afterward he wondered, "How in the world does somebody, in that defense, get behind someone?"

Fewell's answer: "It was a pressure called, and so some people were playing the pressure and they thought that we made a coverage check, and some people were playing a coverage. So that’s why he was out there like that." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Fewell had a chance to study the overturned TD from a winners point of view. We were fortunate. It seems the red-headed genius still has some sparks.

I would hope he is

This is a step forward.
    I thought we had something special!!!

We tend to forget that this is a job to those inside the organization. Coaches are the least appreciated members of a professional football team. They spend untold hours watching film, drawing up game plans, dealing with injuries (known and unknown). Many sleep in their offices certain nights of the week so they can prepare their players for the next opponent.

And we all harp on their efforts inside a relatively small 60 minute window.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I was not happy with how bad we were defending the "outs". The Cowboys had less then 30 seconds with no timeouts and we were giving them all the out routes they needed to get back into position. Witten over and over again. Dez had a few too. Not good defensive execution or scheme...

5trive for Fiv5

I hope that perry took a look at all the coverages and did some coaching with Hosley, Prince and Webby. These guys have the skills but when it comes to execution they don't deliver consistently. Thats a coaches job: to teach and help players make new mistakes not the same old mistakes! The errors did not look like scheme problems, they looked like technique issues. Coach 'em up, Perry & Co..Go Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river
    Coach Tom Coughlin said afterward he wondered, "How in the world does somebody, in that defense, get behind someone?"

Fewell's answer: "It was a pressure called, and so some people were playing the pressure and they thought that we made a coverage check, and some people were playing a coverage. So that’s why he was out there like that." Read more...
    Honestly, Giants got lucky that Bryant's hand was out of bounds. I like Fewell, but just like Gilbride, sometimes he does stuff that drives me crazy. On 3rd and long, he'll rush 3.....then with a Hail Mary coming, he'll call a coverage that will allow a WR to slip behind it????

Dallas had zero times outs left.....why call a pressure when all you need to do is cover the endzone (#1) and sidelines (#2)?

Like Coughlin said, I'm speechless that Bryant was able to get by two defenders in that sort of situation.
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 11-02-2012 at 02:29 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I was not happy with how bad we were defending the "outs". The Cowboys had less then 30 seconds with no timeouts and we were giving them all the out routes they needed to get back into position. Witten over and over again. Dez had a few too. Not good defensive execution or scheme...
    This and Witten being open on damn near every play drove me NUTS!

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    Honestly, Giants got lucky that Bryant's hand was out of bounds. I like Fewell, but just like Gilbride, sometimes he does stuff that drives me crazy. On 3rd and long, he'll rush 3.....then with a Hail Mary coming, he'll call a coverage that will allow a WR to slip behind it????Dallas had zero times outs left.....why call a pressure when all you need to do is cover the endzone (#1) and sidelines (#2)?Like Coughlin said, I'm speechless that Bryant was able to get by two defenders in that sort of situation.
    Don't you think Bryant was lucky that Coe barely missed making a play on the ball? Aren't the cowboys lucky they even had a chance at the play to Bryant because of a poor spot and no challenge for Bradshaws run?I don't give anymore credit to luck for a win or a loss. Sucks that they missed by a few inches, but its not our fault Dez doesn't have the best field awareness.