+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What Happened To Eli Manning And The Giants' Passing Game?

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Well, on the bright side, Eli Manning won’t have to answer those pesky questions about being the league’s MVP for a while.

He was so bad in this 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, you worried that Giants fans might forget what team they were watching and start chanting for Tim Tebow.

We kid, of course. Manning has cemented his place among the elite quarterbacks in the league, a debate ended last season with a parade through the Canyon of Heroes. He’ll bounce back, probably sooner than later.

Still, it’s hard not to watch the last couple weeks and wonder what happened to the passing game that was ripping apart the league early in the season. The man in charge certainly is.

“We’ve got to get him back on track,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s our guy, (and) we’ve got to get him back to the way he was playing a couple weeks ago and do it in a hurry.”

Those are strong words from a coach whose team is still 6-3 and atop the NFC East, and they’re not unwarranted. Manning’s numbers Sunday were downright Sanchezesque. He was 10-for-24 for 125 yards — his lowest total since 119 in a meaningless game to end the 2008 season — with an interception.

It’s not just one game that concerns Coughlin, either. His quarterback rating has dropped each of the last five weeks, from 103.3 in a laugher over the Browns to 41.1 Sunday. The yards per pass play Sunday, as high as 10 during the season, bottomed out at 5.21 against the Pittsburgh defense." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

yeah...he's been bad..tell us something we don't know!
    This thread is a waste of space!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Well, on the bright side, Eli Manning won’t have to answer those pesky questions about being the league’s MVP for a while.

He was so bad in this 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, you worried that Giants fans might forget what team they were watching and start chanting for Tim Tebow.

We kid, of course. Manning has cemented his place among the elite quarterbacks in the league, a debate ended last season with a parade through the Canyon of Heroes. He’ll bounce back, probably sooner than later.

Still, it’s hard not to watch the last couple weeks and wonder what happened to the passing game that was ripping apart the league early in the season. The man in charge certainly is.

“We’ve got to get him back on track,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s our guy, (and) we’ve got to get him back to the way he was playing a couple weeks ago and do it in a hurry.”

Those are strong words from a coach whose team is still 6-3 and atop the NFC East, and they’re not unwarranted. Manning’s numbers Sunday were downright Sanchezesque. He was 10-for-24 for 125 yards — his lowest total since 119 in a meaningless game to end the 2008 season — with an interception.

It’s not just one game that concerns Coughlin, either. His quarterback rating has dropped each of the last five weeks, from 103.3 in a laugher over the Browns to 41.1 Sunday. The yards per pass play Sunday, as high as 10 during the season, bottomed out at 5.21 against the Pittsburgh defense." Read more...
    It's called press coverage & the inability of the current reciever corp to break through it & get open. TC read this line... Start putting at least 1 WR in motion pre snap & good things will begin to happen sooner than later.

And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game,to deflect blame away from them, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    yeah...he's been bad..tell us something we don't know!
    This thread is a waste of space!
    Why is that?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?
    Do you think Eli has been playing well lately?

All-Pro
    And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game,to deflect blame away from them, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?
    Saying that Eli has played poorly isn't excusing drops and poorly run routes, clearly there has been a few of those.... conversely, that doesn't excuse Eli either, he has been off target often lately, and he is making throws to locations where the receiver and he were clearly on a different page. You and I may be watching different game... but Eli has not been playing well.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Do you think Eli has been playing well lately?
    No not at all...but then again, a defense of Eli wasn't even the point of my comment!

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Saying that Eli has played poorly isn't excusing drops and poorly run routes, clearly there has been a few of those.... conversely, that doesn't excuse Eli either, he has been off target often lately, and he is making throws to locations where the receiver and he were clearly on a different page. You and I may be watching different game... but Eli has not been playing well.
    Again...I didn't say he has been and that wasn't the point I was trying to make with my comment.
    You see now why your English teacher harped on the importance of reading comprehension??
    My comment was simply based on an observation I have made watching and listening to sports stations recently, in regard to other QB's who have had bad days.
    I simply noticed that talking heads and sports writers are suddenly pointing out how many drops receivers are having to defend certain big name QB's...and thats ALL my comment meant.
    Last edited by bigblue58; 11-05-2012 at 08:10 AM.

its not just press vs. non press coverage.

Eli's accuracy has been horrible the last 3 weeks. Horrible.

To say we just need players in motion, which i've read in 5 threads now, is missing the point. Eli has not been throwing the ball well regardless of what coverage is called.