+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Eli Manning Needs To Snap Out Of It If The Giants Are To Repeat As Super Bowl Champs

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1197148

Excerpt: "If Eli Manning doesn’t break out of his slump and start playing great again, then the Giants have no chance to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

They can overcome a sack slump from JPP, or Corey Webster returning to being the most beatable corner in the league or Ahmad Bradshaw suffering his annual debilitating foot injury or even Tom Coughlin suddenly starting to coach like Jason Garrett.

They can’t win the Super Bowl with Manning playing the way he has over the last four weeks. Last year, they quickly turned 6-2 into 6-6 and that was when Manning was playing well. That story, of course, had a happy ending.

The NFL is all about quarterbacks and the Giants are all about Eli, and Eli right now is not about getting the Giants into the end zone.

I asked Justin Tuck on Monday if it’s going to be hard for the Giants to overcome a less-than-great Manning.

“Sure it is. No question,” he said. “Any time a quarterback doesn’t play great football — this is a quarterback-driven league and especially with this team becoming so accustomed to No. 10 playing great and being Superman in the fourth quarter. You got to expect that not to be the case every time. It’s not like we are going to lose any confidence or anything like that.”

Manning was just 10-for-24 for 125 yards against Pittsburgh. In the fourth quarter, which has been Manning Time for quite some time, he was 1-for-5 for one yard ans was sacked twice.

“If we get in that situation this Sunday and he has the ball with four minutes to go and we need a touchdown, I’m probably going to be sitting on the bench saying, ‘Defense, get ready to go back and finish the game out,’” Tuck said. “I feel like he’s going to be able to lead that offense down and get that touchdown.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

People always seem to forget that Eli goes through a stretch like this EVERY YEAR. He IS NOT an elite stat guy, never was. He wont throw for 40 TD and 10 INTs. He did have almost 5k yards last year, and that may be influencing him a bit this year, but he is not a huge stat guy.

I know he will bounce back and get himself together. Every year he does. It just is painful to watch him and defend him when he is playing this bad. Oh well.

Second half swoon has arrived, but it still doen't mean he won't get the job done. I've been fooled by him many times before, so I and not jumping off the ship.

bELIeve guys

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    People always seem to forget that Eli goes through a stretch like this EVERY YEAR. He IS NOT an elite stat guy, never was. He wont throw for 40 TD and 10 INTs. He did have almost 5k yards last year, and that may be influencing him a bit this year, but he is not a huge stat guy.

I know he will bounce back and get himself together. Every year he does. It just is painful to watch him and defend him when he is playing this bad. Oh well.

Second half swoon has arrived, but it still doen't mean he won't get the job done. I've been fooled by him many times before, so I and not jumping off the ship.

bELIeve guys
    Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post

bELIeve guys
    We are not a big stat offense. Nor to we pad our stats in a win. TC is too old school classy for that.

Eli playing his best will be a huge help. Not the only reason why this team has been terrible for the last few games.

Veteran
    One thing to put into perspective is that even with Eli throwing for 125 yds and our receivers getting overpowered, dropping passes, and flat out getting beat by DB's we still were in a position to beat the Steelers despite how awful our O, secondary, LB's, and especially ST's looked.

If there's one thing to find solace in after a loss, I'm thinking that is it...

A lot of other teams in the league play like they, in fact if the majority of other teams in the league played like that, they wind up getting beat by 35+
    Last edited by njg85m; 11-06-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    One thing to put into perspective is that even with Eli throwing for 125 yds and our receivers getting overpowered, dropping passes, and flat out getting beat by DB's we still were in a position to beat the Steelers despite how awful our O, secondary, LB's, and especially ST's looked.

If there's one thing to find solace in after a loss, I'm thinking that is it...

A lot of other teams in the league, in fact the majority of teams in the league, play like that and they get beat by 35+
    Thats why I don't really blame the defense. If our defense didnt get gassed, they would have allowed even fewer points...

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post
    HE DRAFTED ELI MANNING?

WHY?

okay, were doomed! season over folks. it was nice knowing the giants while it lasted!

see you in 2016

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Thats why I don't really blame the defense. If our defense didnt get gassed, they would have allowed even fewer points...
    I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, I'm just saying that as bad as we played and short of forfeiting before the coin toss we still only lost by 4 pts to the Steelers...who played very well.

Not saying we should feel good about it, BUT let's just think about that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by njg85m View Post
    I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, I'm just saying that as bad as we played and short of forfeiting before the coin toss we still only lost by 4 pts to the Steelers...who played very well.

Not saying we should feel good about it, BUT let's just think about that for a second.
    Then how come we're playing bad? Why aren't we playing well?

Quote Originally Posted by Generation Eli View Post
    HE DRAFTED ELI MANNING?

WHY?

okay, were doomed! season over folks. it was nice knowing the giants while it lasted!

see you in 2016

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    Then how come we're playing bad? Why aren't we playing well?
    Multiple directions to rightfully pass blame to, no point.

My whole point I guess is that if the Dolphins for example play that terribly over all, they get completely completely blown out, whereas we lose by 4. Again, no solace in that, BUT we played like garbage against a very good team that played very well and still had a chance to win with 2 minutes left.