+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Loss of Terrel Thomas derailed our season

Yeah we've had alot of injuries, but I had a bad feeling his injury in the preseason was going to kill us more than any other we've dealt with. Teams are literally targeting whatever receiver is lined up against amukamara and ross almost every passing down(i.e: Grossman last week). Obviously we won't give up on prince till we've seen more; he's young, recovering from injury and is just not seasoned yet. But Ross just does not have ball/man coverage skills needed to be a starter. He also takes terrible pursuit angles and has a hard time making tackles. He lacks the intensity we need right now and seems unconfident and jittery. I'm not blaming our secondary woes completely on him, because rolle and grant haven't been playing up to par either. But we need to send some help toward their side next game to have a chance. Webster isn't shutdown on the other side, but he plays very well and I like his chances when the balls in the air alot better than our other corners. Basically just stated the obvious, but needed to rant.

Re: Loss of Terrel Thomas derailed our season

I'm sick of excuses man. Great teams handle adversity with injuries. TT was one man. He didn't play offense, and this team as a unit stinks.

Veteran

agree to an extent, but we are mising him BIG time

Bench Player

This isn't an excuse at all. It just baffles me that we leave prince and ross out on one-on-one coverage. Bring more blitzes toward their side, let Grant or Phillips shade their areas.

All-Pro

[quote user="EJ Blue"]I'm sick of excuses man. Great teams handle adversity with injuries. TT was one man. He didn't play offense, and this team as a unit stinks.
    [/quote]

You also forgot Johnson, Whitherspoon, Prince, Coe, and Tyron. It's not an excuse, it's jut horrible luck. I hear the experts all saying how the Rams have like 6 guys from their secondary IRed but everyone just says the Giants defense stinks or is inconsistent. The Giants lost a lot more thatn just one CB.

Oh, and add Goff to the most missed player list. He was great against the run and was looking sharp in pre season against the pass.

I think Terrell Thomas is a HUGE upgrade over Ross, Amukamara, and even Rolle in nickel situations. Terrell Thomas was aggressive, made plays on the ball, can tackle, and was A LEADER...those are qualities that those guys dont have. You will see a huge improvement once Thomas returns and Reese has enough balls to cut Rolle and draft a linebacker.

All-Pro

It should have settled in a few games ago that they should have changed things and went with pressuring the QB more. I'd rather see them get burned on a long pass than just slowy get ripped apart at this point.

Bench Player

[quote user="T-Murda84"]I think Terrell Thomas is a HUGE upgrade over Ross, Amukamara, and even Rolle in nickel situations. Terrell Thomas was aggressive, made plays on the ball, can tackle, and was A LEADER...those are qualities that those guys dont have. You will see a huge improvement once Thomas returns and Reese has enough balls to cut Rolle and draft a linebacker.[/quote]
    If I remember correctly TT was a probowler a season ago. Had an unbelievable season, and was not afraid to tackle anyone(had over 100 tackles i believe). Try replacing that with a severely underperforming 1st round pick from texas and your bound to have problems.
    I agree the Goff injury def hurts as well. I felt like he had the ability and mentality to become a leader for our defense.

All-Pro

TT has now torn the same ACL twice. I would not expect much from him if they do resign him.

[quote user="AZwhoopr"][quote user="T-Murda84"]I think Terrell Thomas is a HUGE upgrade over Ross, Amukamara, and even Rolle in nickel situations. Terrell Thomas was aggressive, made plays on the ball, can tackle, and was A LEADER...those are qualities that those guys dont have. You will see a huge improvement once Thomas returns and Reese has enough balls to cut Rolle and draft a linebacker.[/quote]
    If I remember correctly TT was a probowler a season ago. Had an unbelievable season, and was not afraid to tackle anyone(had over 100 tackles i believe). Try replacing that with a severely underperforming 1st round pick from texas and your bound to have problems.
    I agree the Goff injury def hurts as well. I felt like he had the ability and mentality to become a leader for our defense.
    [/quote]

TT wasn't a Pro Bowler last year, nor did he deserve to be. Yes, he's a good player and we miss him this season, but he had so many tackles because he got picked on a lot. Having a ton of tackles as a corneris not usually a good thing (he was pretty damn good in run support, though). He was, if I recall correctly, the second or third most targeted CB in the NFL last season and gave up a ton of completions (I want to say something in the 80-90 range).

Where not having him has hurt us has been in our flexibility in what we could do with the secondary, moving players around, etc.

I do like TT, though it may not seem like I do. I just think he gets a bit overrated. I was hoping to see if was going to make the jump in his play this season.