+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bench Player

Why Mark Herlzlich might not have played as bad as it seems.

I'll set the tone for you.. I'm playing semi-pro football for a scrub team in western mass...

I'm playing CB in a cover 2 defense...

I pressed the WR to the outside and released him about 2-3 yards from the sideline... I drifted underneath him for about 5 yards not committing passed 10 yards from the line of scrimmage... then I saw it entered an all out sprint... the quarterback threw a 20 yard pass to him and I got there just in top to make a stop as he caught the ball at the 5.

I thought to myself... damn I stopped a touchdown, I'm a hero... my teammates on the sideline who didn't know the call was cover 2... are screaming for my head, and that I was jogging underneath and should be benched.

To put it in perspective, I doubt sincerely that Herzlich was supposed to be in some of the positions he was in after watching the game again. Namely in a couple of his pass coverages where he looks flat out beaten, could actually be a great recognition play... There was 4-5 times where he did have to go into coverage where he doesn't look to be struggling covering people.

I'm not saying he's an all star, just saying, some of those plays were bad... but some of them, might not have been as bad as first look.

an interesting point and intelligently put .......i thought that Herzlich had a mediocre game .......but not an awful game ......considering that our DT's were owned all night long by the Steelers ...our inability to stop the run was not all the fault of our Mlb
    Non Omnis Moriar

While I won't condemn Herzlich, one thing I did notice about alot of his plays were that even when he was in position he wasn't the one who initiated contact. He usually swooped in after someone else made the tackle and pretty much "two hand touched" the already downed player. I'm not going to say he is afraid of contact but he looked hesitant. Maybe he had alot going on with leading the defense.

I like the guy. Besides a feel good story, the guy was a top linebacker in college and a Boston College guy that we know TC loves. I think the potential is there but I don't know what is wrong.

Banned
    Are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by NYGBandit View Post
    I'll set the tone for you.. I'm playing semi-pro football for a scrub team in western mass...

I pressed the WR to the outside and released him about 2-3 yards from the sideline... I drifted underneath him for about 5 yards not committing passed 10 yards from the line of scrimmage... then I saw it entered an all out sprint... the quarterback threw a 20 yard pass to him and I got there just in top to make a stop as he caught the ball at the 5.

I thought to myself... damn I stopped a touchdown, I'm a hero... my teammates on the sideline who didn't know the call was cover 2... are screaming for my head, and that I was jogging underneath and should be benched.

To put it in perspective, I doubt sincerely that Herzlich was supposed to be in some of the positions he was in after watching the game again. Namely in a couple of his pass coverages where he looks flat out beaten, could actually be a great recognition play... There was 4-5 times where he did have to go into coverage where he doesn't look to be struggling covering people.

I'm not saying he's an all star, just saying, some of those plays were bad... but some of them, might not have been as bad as first look.
    cool story.

herlzlich played bad

Quote Originally Posted by BParcells777 View Post
    Are you kidding me?
    Jack ......yesterday you were advocating that the Giants moved JPP to Middle Linebacker .......................are you kidding me ! ?
    Non Omnis Moriar

Quote Originally Posted by NYGBandit View Post

Lets face it....we haven't had a good run stopping D lineman since Strahan retired!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    cool story.

herlzlich played bad
    +199

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelousmik View Post
    cool story.

herlzlich played bad
    hahahahahah

All-Pro
    Yes, yes it was. His pass coverage was awful. This wasn't about herzlich perhaps having multiple assignments to worry about. It was about how you could see which man he had, and just being late to react to their moves.