+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Giants' Going Back To Basics

Giants Putting In Extra Work Trying to Get Eli Manning Back In Synch With WR's, Especially Victor Cruz

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1198485

Excerpt: "Eli Manning dropped back and watched Victor Cruz working against a single cornerback on an empty football field. Manning delivered a throw in rhythm.

The routine continued over and over again. It’s a simple one-on-one drill that is performed regularly in training camps. But this is what it’s come down to for the Giants’ struggling aerial attack.

On Tuesday Tom Coughlin met with Manning to discuss the Giants’ recent offensive doldrums. And then on Wednesday, midway through the regular season, the Giants took a mid-practice break from their preparations for Sunday’s game against the Bengals to work through a training-camp drill.

“We just threw it in,” Cruz said. “Once the season starts, we normally don’t do that as much as in training camp. We just threw it in there, just to get some timing down.”

It’s all because a high-flying air attack has been grounded for the better part of four games. Since his 259-yard, three-TD effort against the Browns on Oct. 7, Manning has averaged just 211.8 passing yards per game. He has thrown just two touchdown passes against four interceptions in his last four games, gradually falling off after a brilliant start to the season.

The breaking point came Sunday against the Steelers. Manning passed for 125 yards, his lowest game total since throwing for 111 yards against the Bills on Dec. 23, 2007. Cruz and Hakeem Nicks combined for 77 receiving yards, the second straight week that they managed less than 100 yards.

Manning’s meeting with Coughlin was simple, the coach said, and the two discussed “fundamentals and about getting us going.”

“Just how to get back on track, get back to playing at a high level,” Manning added. “Both of us want the same thing, for our offense to get back rolling and start scoring some points.” Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Sounds like a good place to start to me
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Sounds like a good place to start to me
    Very often we see all kinds of chatter about changing game plans, firing coaches, sitting players when all that's really needed is a return to fundamentals. Eli is no less a QB than he was a few weeks ago. I am confident they will get this turned around.

I think the new CBA's practice rules actually prevent teams from preparing for games. Far less contact drills, less days at practice, etc.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Agreed, I think a similar approach on defense would be a good idea... starting with tackle drills
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Agreed, I think a similar approach on defense would be a good idea... starting with tackle drills
    You took the words out of my mouth.
    Do not feed the trolls.

Veteran
    What about the defense? Any "going back to basics" in that department?...

there is no tackling in practice , part of the CBA.
    EVERYBODY...might as well wear a red QB shirt.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

Veteran
    can Eli stop forcing the ball to Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    can Eli stop forcing the ball to Cruz
    Eli has done a great job spreading the ball around. You would need to provide some proof that he's "forcing the ball" to Cruz.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Eli has done a great job spreading the ball around. You would need to provide some proof that he's "forcing the ball" to Cruz.
    I wouldnt say he's forcing it to him, however Cruz looked like he was physically limited after the hit he took early and Eli kept going in his direction.

That may be more on Cruz telling everyone he's "fine". The play that comes to mind is Eli had Cruz over the middle on a pass he normally catches... it was out front of him but in no way unreachable. It looked like Cruz just couldnt extend for the ball like he normally does, either that or he short armed it just a tad because he surley would have taken a shot from the lb.
    ...the tortillas are dry...