+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Coughlin Offers Helping Hand To Eli

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...g-helping-hand

Excerpt: "There are times when Giants head coach Tom Coughlin strides to the podium on Wednesdays and the words that come booming out of his mouth to kick off the next game week sound suspiciously like the basic talking points he plans to give his team. He lays out the opponent the Giants are facing, he mentions whatever lingering predicaments their last game exposed, then he gets into how they can address all of it. And as odd as it seems to say this about a man who has won two Super Bowls, the leadership that Coughlin shows in moments like this is perhaps the most underrated part of what he does.

Coughlin is a coach in the best, most complete sense of the word. Part of the job description is that the good ones sense it's time to show the way in times like this.

The first-place Giants are a perfectly respectable 6-3 heading into Sunday's game at Cincinnati. But in the wake of last Sunday's stinging loss to Pittsburgh, the latest brushfire that Coughlin has to stamp out actually feels more like a bonfire: His quarterback, Eli Manning, has been struggling the past three games.

What to do about it is the question.And Coughlin blinked and looked unabashedly surprised Wednesday when he was asked if Manning has become so good he would just let Manning "fix himself."

"Well, no," Coughlin answered.

That's not how Coughlin looks at it at all.

If you haven't noticed, one of the hallmarks of Coughlin's Giants teams is players develop here. They just do. Players seem to get better after they get to Coughlin's Giants, and it doesn't matter if they're undrafted free agents or the No. 1 overall pick in the draft like Manning was, a freakish but raw talent like Jason Pierre-Paul or a seven-time castoff like backup running back Andre Brown, one of this season's revelations. The common thread is players just seem to rise closer to the players they're supposed to be under Coughlin and his staff. And the answer he gave Wednesday about how he's handling Manning's slump was a little insight into why." Read more...
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

what is strangely absent here in this situation is the total lack of
    mention by either Eli or TC about Gilbride's help or input or responsibilty
    or concern or anything related to the situation.
    i would think this should be Eli and KG.

we have Eli and TC working on it and Gilbride is.... ?.....

maybe this is all on Eli and KG is just mr clipboard.
    Last edited by stormblue; 11-08-2012 at 09:19 AM.
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

I like seeing that drill that Eli mentioned, where they practice against the first string defense. As long as everyone stays on point and focuses on fundamentals, that can only help improve both the offense and defense.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Quote Originally Posted by stormblue View Post

BRO!! i agree with you completely!!!

all i've read about is Eli and Coughlin.... how come Gil's brides name has not been dropped?

is he not part of this practice? does he not care?

in a way it leads me to believe that he is a good OC and its just Eli and the receivers that have been a little off....

All you need to do is see who Eli talks to when he comes off the field. It's always Gilbride. Coughlin is not Inserting himself between Eli and Gilbride he's doing what he needs to do to help Eli return to form.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-08-2012 at 10:47 AM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    "You make a first down and you'll have a chance to get some rhythm, get some continuity, get into your play calling. And when you don't have first downs, it's like this, OK? -- like throwing darts at a board."
    This...
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

ok , then all Eli had to do was ask KG to practice the tree with real DB's.
    i'm sure he would have obliged

my bad.......i didn't realize that this was just all news-press fodder
    to show that TC is on top of things.
    just window-dressing ....i should have known.
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

"Well, everything we have listed to call is to make a first down. And every one is a touchdown by the way, too."
    He was probably joking (at least partly), but that does seem to be a problem - no short game.

I might be in the minority here, but it just seems like an execution problem for this offense. And maybe a personnel problem. I have no problem with the play calling.

Why would you want this team to run it on 3rd and 2 if we can't run the ball at all?

TC mentions getting 1st downs to get rythem going. That includes the entire offense which includes Glibride...

you guys disect too much stuff...
    look at the big picture....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch