+ Reply to Thread

Giants' Defense Plans To Fix Cracks

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...__Bengals.html

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin started the Giants' week on Monday by describing his defense as "soft."

Two days later, the coach's four-letter word – worse than a curse word to the defense – still stings. And the Giants (6-3) certainly don't want to hear it again as they look to rebound Sunday against the Bengals (3-5) in Cincinnati after their 24-20 loss to the Steelers.

"I mean, that game is over," safety Antrel Rolle said Wednesday. "We're not talking about the Steelers. That's over and done with. We didn't stop the run and we didn't close out a game when we should have. Obviously, we're not happy with that performance and we must get better from it."

The Steelers rallied for two fourth-quarter touchdowns – one on a 51-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on a short slant – as reserve running back Isaac Redman set career highs with 147 yards on 26 carries. His day included a 1-yard run for the winning score with 4:02 left in the fourth quarter.

But like the Steelers, the Bengals have a potent passing attack with an inconsistent rushing game. BenJarvus Green-Ellis, who missed Wednesday's practice due to illness and does not have a 100-yard game this season, leads the Bengals with 487 yards and three touchdowns on 142 attempts (3.4 yards per carry).

Still, the Giants have concerns, especially with their defense ranked 25th in the NFL in allowing opponents 382.3 total yards per game. The Giants are ranked 19th against the run as they've allowed 118 yards per game.

On Monday, Coughlin specifically spoke about the middle of the defense when he said, "It was soft, no question. It was soft early."

But Coughlin also is wary of overcompensating for last week's deficiencies.

"You've got to be balanced," Coughlin said. "You've got to fight pressure. You've got to get off the blocks. You've got to fit properly. Sometimes the linebackers, if you extend the formations, have a couple of different things they're responsible for. So, yeah, there are things you can do. But you're rolling the dice when you do it."

Mostly, Coughlin is hoping a healthier front seven will harden the Giants' defense." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    Eh, they just don't seem to be that good this year. I don't know what the problem is or if they can fix it. They seem to go to Rolle for all these quotes and it seems to me that whenever there is a huge passing play by the opposing team he is the one trailing. Watching the game last week I was hoping the Giants defense could take some lessons from the Steelers. They seem tough and don't make excuse. Their best player has missed most of the season and they are still one of the best defenses in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Eh, they just don't seem to be that good this year. I don't know what the problem is or if they can fix it. They seem to go to Rolle for all these quotes and it seems to me that whenever there is a huge passing play by the opposing team he is the one trailing. Watching the game last week I was hoping the Giants defense could take some lessons from the Steelers. They seem tough and don't make excuse. Their best player has missed most of the season and they are still one of the best defenses in the league.
    The two glaring issues, for me, are the lack of a dominant run defense which adds pressure on the inconsistent secondary. They will keep working on these issues and hopefully get Rocky Bernard and Kenny Phillips back. Waiting to see if the activate Will Hill for Sunday.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80