+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

News, notes, rumors, and gossip: Friday, November 9, 2012

HERE NOW THE NEWS

EXCERPTS FROM EXTERNAL NEWS ARTICLES REGARDING THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED UNDER THEIR SOURCES. MISCELLANEOUS SPORTS ARTICLES ARE POSTED UNDER THE "MISCELLANEOUS" SECTION AT THE END OF THE THREAD. LINKS FOR ALL LISTED SOURCES ARE INCLUDED TO ALLOW MEMBERS TO INDEPENDENTLY BROWSE AT THEIR LEISURE.

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

Giants' Punter Steve Weatherford's Relief Trip To Jersey Shore Was "Flashback" To Hurricane Katrina

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river

Excerpt: "Steve Weatherford's NFL career started in New Orleans in the spring of 2006, less than a year after Hurricane Katrina devastated the area, leaving a long-lasting recovery and rebuilding effort.

When Weatherford, now the Giants punter, visited the Jersey Shore on a Hurricane Sandy relief trip Tuesday, many of the images he saw reminded him of the Katrina aftermath in Louisiana.

"It was really sad. It was a flashback to that," Weatherford said. "You see a lot of pain and suffering. When you leave, you feel better about helping the people, but at the same time, when you are actually there, it’s really depressing, because all you see is pain and suffering. You see the little kids smiling for the 15 minutes that you're there, but once you leave, you know that they have nothing to go back to."

Weatherford and his family had to leave their home in Hoboken when Sandy hit. A week later, he was looking for ways to help those hit hardest by the storm." Read more...

Bengals' Offensive Line Preparing "For A Heck Of A Challenge"

Excerpt: "Yesterday, Jason Pierre-Paul said the Giants believe they have the best rushers in football and can be "unstoppable." Well, thanks to offensive linemane Scott Wedige, a former member of the Giants practice squad who signed with the Bengals this week, Cincinnati is well-aware of the front four's potential and are spending extra time preparing, writes Kevin Kelly of the Cincinnati Enquirer. Wedige called the Giants' line the best he's ever seen and "freakish."

The reigning Super Bowl champions are coming to town, but that apparently doesn't excite Bengals fans very much. Sunday's game in Cincinnati will be blacked out on local television because 100 percent of non-premium tickets haven't sold out. This will be the first game the Bengals don't sell out this season." Read more...

Giants' Jason Pierre-Paul: "We Feel Like We Have The Best Pass Rushers In The League"

Excerpt: "A.J. Green's comment on WFAN this morning regarding holes in the Giants defense didn't refer to the Giants' front four, which Green complimented.

“Their front four, they get so much pressure on the quarterback,” he said. “A lot of people don’t have that much time to get the big plays on them.”

And lately, the Giants pass rush has lived up to the billing. Beginning with their six-sack performance against the 49ers in Week 6, the Giants have recorded 17 sacks over the last four games after just eight sacks over the first five games." Read more...

Giants Patient With Rookie Jayron Hosley's Learning Curve

Excerpt: "Jayron Hosley is a rookie playing a significant role in the Giants defense as the nickel corner. The last few games he's had some rookie bumps -- late-game penalties and tough matchups in the slot -- but the Giants coaches have patience and confidence for the third-round pick.

"We continue to encourage him," defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said today. "We think hes going to be a fine football player. He's a rookie, and sometimes they take rookies to school. And when hes taken to school, we try to get him to learn from his mistakes."Hosley was in man-to-man coverage on Santana Moss's 30-yard touchdown in the Redskins win, a late score which forced Eli Manning and the Giants to deliver a hurried comeback. Two weeks ago at Dallas, Hosley was called for illegal contact and defensive holding penalties to help a Cowboys drive late in the fourth-quarter, but teammate Stevie Brown's interception ended their possession.

A few late slip-ups were more costly in last week's loss to the Steelers." Read more...

Giants' Eli Manning Got Bengals' Scouting Report from Brother Peyton

Excerpt: "Eli Manning isn't just studying recent film of the Bengals this week. He also received a scouting report from the quarterback of the Bengals' last opponent: Older brother Peyton Manning, whose Broncos won at Cincinnati, 31-23, last Sunday.

"Yeah, I talked to him a little bit," Eli Manning said Wednesday. "I talked to him (Tuesday) about their game. Just seeing if there are any tips on certain things. We talked a little bit."

This is just the third time Eli and Peyton Manning have played the same opponent in consecutive weeks." Read more...

Bengals' AJ Green Says Giants' Defense "Has A Lot Of Holes"

Excerpt: "The Giants have proven to be susceptible against the pass this season. They do, after all, rank 26th in the league in passing defense. They've struggled against a variety of targets from No. 3 wide receivers (Kevin Ogletree) to tight ends (Jason Witten). So it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green thinks there are opportunities to be had on Sunday.

“I feel like they’ve got a lot of holes in their defense,” Green said in a radio interview on WFAN this morning.

If anyone should be confident, it should be Green. The second-year wide receiver is tied for the NFL lead with eight receiving touchdowns, is sixth in receiving yards (735) and seventh in receptions (51)." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Practice Notes: Snee Returns

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...s-snee-returns

Excerpt: "For two days, Chris Snee had everyone in Giants-land nervous that he'd miss Sunday's game in Cincinnati. But the offensive guard went a long way towards easing some of those concerns on Friday.

Snee practiced for the first time all week, after sitting out two days to nurse a badly sprained ankle. He seemed to move well and took a fair share of reps during the portion of practice open to the media.

Hakeem Nicks (foot/knee) also practiced for a second straight day. And unlike Thursday, he did not have a wrap on his balky knee. Also practicing were DT Chris Canty (groin), C David Baas (ankle/elbow) and RB Andre Brown (shoulder). All seemed to be working without limitation." Read more..

Bengals' Receiver AJ Green Makes Giants See Red

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1199218

Excerpt: "By AFC North trash-talking standards, it was a mere spitball, hardly worthy of the high standards previously set by Joey Porter, Terrell Suggs, Chad Ochocinco or any of divisions’ the all-time greats.

Bengals receiver AJ Greenperhaps didn’t even think he was even talking out of turn Thursday morning when he told WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton that the Giants defense “has a lot of holes.” The Giants, in fact, had heard much more damning criticism from their own head coach when Tom Coughlin challenged their manhood by labeling their effort against the Steelers “soft,” and they don’t want to take his head off.

But it’s been a slow week, and the Giants are facing an out-of-conference opponent before the bye. And if they need something to snap them out of their bouts with inconsistency, maybe this is it, even if safety Antrel Rolle was the only one taking the bait in public.

He didn’t necessarily need to be goaded. The longer Rolle talked, the more fired up he got. It made for an interesting study.

The first hint of discontent came when he said, “I’m a deep safety. I’m going to play my responsibility. If I get a chance I’m coming across.”

Then later, “I’ll talk with my pads come Sunday. That’s how I approach the game. If you see me, you’d better duck.”

And finally, “I’m not angry at all. But I will be coming to play with my pads. I don’t need to do any talking. I don’t give a ---- about what he says. That’s just the reality of it.”

Amid the threats, Rolle did call Green a big-time receiver and he is that, tied for the league lead with eight receiving TDs, sixth in receiving yards (735) and tied for seventh in receptions (51)." Read more...

Practice Notes: Nicks Back On Field

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...k-on-the-field

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks is back.

Nicks returned to practice on Thursday, after sitting out Wednesday’s session with swelling in his left knee. He was running routes during the portion of practice that was open to the media, but he had what looked like a heavy ace bandage on his knee.

We’ll get more from coach Tom Coughlin on this after practice." Read more...

SITE LINK

THE NEW YORK POST

Giants' Defense Ready To Prove To Coughlin They Haven't Gone "Soft"

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...fsVbyXiJ0SxykI

Excerpt: "The disgusted members of the Giants defense didn’t need A.J. Green talking on radio yesterday about holes in its secondary to vow redemption and vengeance Sunday against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

It was what their own respected two-time Super Bowl-winning head coach said about them that pierced their hearts and challenged their manhood and awakened their pride.

It also has them champing at the bit to remind the NFL, and Giants fans who expect Carsonian toughness and Tayloresque mayhem, and coach Tom Coughlin himself, that they are nobody’s Mr. Softee.

They have televisions inside the Timex Performance Center, and there was a clip of Coughlin calling them soft against the run, soft against Steelers running back Isaac Redman.

There was, of course, a method to Coughlin’s madness. If he thought his team was fragile, he never would have used the “S” word.

“Actually I saw it on ESPN,” one Giants defensive player said, “and then some of the players got wind of it and stuff. If anybody says that about you, being a competitive person, being a man, that’s not anything positive, or in your favor, so I don’t think it was taken as a compliment.”

It was digested and talked about among the Giants defensive players. It is the ultimate insult to any testosterone-fueled football player. Especially to those who hold themselves to a higher standard and strive to uphold a proud tradition.

“When Coach says something like that, it’s going to get guys’ attention,” Chris Canty said. “What that does, what that means, we don’t know. We’ll find out I guess.”

Giants are supposed to dominate the line of scrimmage. Giants are supposed to dictate to the opposing offense. Giants aren’t supposed to let backup backs rumble over them for 147 yards.

No Mr. Softee sold on Sundays.

“That’s what the head man saw. ... That’s what we saw on film,” Antrel Rolle said. “I’m not calling our defense ‘soft,’ but we didn’t stop the run. I’m a very fair guy — if I see it that way, that’s the way I call it." Read more...

Giants' Nicks Ready To Play After Swelling Down In Knee

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...RQNRUerT8XGbkO

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks said he did not suffer a setback this week when his left knee swelled up following the Giants’ 24-20 loss to the Steelers.

Nicks, with his knee wrapped, was able to practice yesterday and said all of the swelling is gone from the knee and he will play Sunday in Cincinnati.

“I did as much as I would normally do in a practice,’’ Nicks said. “Yesterday was just taking a day off. It was still a little swollen, a little puffy from the game like it always is after the game. This time it was just a little bit more puffy so they wanted to sit me down for a day and I got back out there and everything was fine.’’

Dealing with foot and knee issues all season, Nicks has just 27 catches and one touchdown.

Asked if he’s concerned about his lack of production, Nicks said, “No, man, because stats are for girls. It’s football. The season is going to be up and down. It’s about how you ride the wave and if you let it affect you. I know I’m a great football player and we’re ready to make this run after the bye week.’’Nicks meant nothing offensive with the remark. He said when he was in high school his coach used to say players interested in stats only were looking to impress the girls." Read more...

Gilbride: No Huddle May Be Cure For Offensive Woes

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...Nr9kY4oe3PHD6K

Excerpt: "One way Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride might resuscitate his slumping unit Sunday is by employing a no-huddle, two-minute offense.

Gilbride said when you’re trying to remedy a unit’s woes, you typically “go back to the things that are your core.” He then pointed out that historically the Giants’ offense has performed well in the no-huddle and revealed it’s “absolutely” under consideration to be used.

“You don’t want me to tip my hand now, do you?” Gilbride said.

The primary advantage of the no-huddle offense is utilizing a quicker tempo and perhaps allowing your offense to get into rhythm while also making it more difficult for the defense to sub players in and out.

Gilbride said last Sunday, when the Giants took over with 4:02 to go in the game, trailing the Steelers 24-20, they went to the two-minute offense — but they also went three-and-out, after two incompletions and a sack.

“Doesn’t always work,” Gilbride said. “But it has been something we’ve been very good at, and hopefully we’re going to recover and get back to that.”

The struggling Giants would like to get back to what they’ve been for the last year and a half, which has been a superb offensive outfit. Last year they averaged 24.6 points per game (ninth-best in the NFL), then upped it to 25.5 points in the playoffs. This year the Giants are averaging 28.2 points (sixth-best), highlighted by 41-point explosions versus both the Buccaneers and Browns and a 36-point performance against the Panthers.

But the last two weeks, the offense scored just 22 points against the Cowboys and 13 against the Steelers, averaging only 17.5 in the two-game spurt." Read more...

No Time Off Needed For Nicks

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...RQNRUerT8XGbkO

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks said he did not suffer a setback this week when his left knee swelled up following the Giants’ 24-20 loss to the Steelers.

Nicks, with his knee wrapped, was able to practice yesterday and said all of the swelling is gone from the knee and he will play Sunday in Cincinnati.

“I did as much as I would normally do in a practice,’’ Nicks said. “Yesterday was just taking a day off. It was still a little swollen, a little puffy from the game like it always is after the game. This time it was just a little bit more puffy so they wanted to sit me down for a day and I got back out there and everything was fine.’’

Dealing with foot and knee issues all season, Nicks has just 27 catches and one touchdown.

Asked if he’s concerned about his lack of production, Nicks said, “No, man, because stats are for girls. It’s football. The season is going to be up and down. It’s about how you ride the wave and if you let it affect you. I know I’m a great football player and we’re ready to make this run after the bye week.’’

Nicks meant nothing offensive with the remark. He said when he was in high school his coach used to say players interested in stats only were looking to impress the girls." Read more...

Giants Defense: We Are Not Going Soft

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...fsVbyXiJ0SxykI

Excerpt: "The disgusted members of the Giants defense didn’t need A.J. Green talking on radio yesterday about holes in its secondary to vow redemption and vengeance Sunday against the Bengals in Cincinnati.

It was what their own respected two-time Super Bowl-winning head coach said about them that pierced their hearts and challenged their manhood and awakened their pride.

It also has them champing at the bit to remind the NFL, and Giants fans who expect Carsonian toughness and Tayloresque mayhem, and coach Tom Coughlin himself, that they are nobody’s Mr. Softee.

They have televisions inside the Timex Performance Center, and there was a clip of Coughlin calling them soft against the run, soft against Steelers running back Isaac Redman.

There was, of course, a method to Coughlin’s madness. If he thought his team was fragile, he never would have used the “S” word.

“Actually I saw it on ESPN,” one Giants defensive player said, “and then some of the players got wind of it and stuff. If anybody says that about you, being a competitive person, being a man, that’s not anything positive, or in your favor, so I don’t think it was taken as a compliment.” Read more...

Giants' Rolle Warns Bengals' Green: "He Better Duck"

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giants...whkQ8zxWKa8dIO

Excerpt: "Bengals stud receiver A.J. Green says he sees “holes’’ in the Giants defense.Safety Antrel Rolle has a warning for Green come Sunday when the Giants face the Bengals.

“I’ll talk with my pads come Sunday,’’ Rolle said on Thursday. “That’s how I approach the game. That’s how we always approach the game. If he sees me, he better duck. That’s it.’’

Yes, he said it. He’d better duck.

“If I get a chance, I’m coming across,’’ Rolle said. “He’s a great receiver, though. You can’t take anything from A.J. Green. He’s a great receiver, I think definitely their best player on the offensive side of the ball. He’s made a number of plays for them and I think his relationship with [Andy] Dalton is something special. Like I said, the game has to be played on Sunday and we’ll play it.’’

This all was triggered by Green’s comments earlier in the morning on WFAN. He praised the Giants’ front four and pass rush but declared that Perry Fewell’s defense has plenty of flaws.

“I feel like they’ve got a lot of holes in their defense,” Green said, responding to a question about the Giants’ secondary. “But their front four, they get so much pressure on the quarterback and a lot of people don’t have that much time to get the big plays on the field. We just have to be solid up front and we’ll see what happens.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE BERGEN RECORD

Giants' Chris Snee Sits Again

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...its_again.html

Excerpt: "Three-time All-Pro RG Chris Snee (ankle) missed his second consecutive practice and his availability for Sunday’s game against the Bengals remains in doubt.

Tom Coughlin suggested Thursday that a decision could be made on Snee as soon as today, although he left open the possibility he would be given until Saturday’s walkthrough before the team boards the plane for Cincinnati to show improvement.

Sean Locklear said he is under the impression that the only way he returns this week to the starting offensive line would be if David Diehl moves to right guard to replace Snee.

Diehl has been taking first-team reps at guard, Locklear said. Reserve James Brewer has been working there as well, and if he plays, Diehl would remain the starter at RT.

"He’s such an integral part of what we do," offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said of Snee. "Obviously, you lose a good football player, but you also lose a very intelligent football player, a guy who’s been an anchor for the group. His strength mentally and emotionally, he’s one of those guys that you depend on when things aren’t going well. He’s just so stable and so determined, so mentally tough that everybody kind of looks to him as an example. That’s a big loss when you lose a guy of that quality."

Nicks on track

Hakeem Nicks said he’ll play against the Bengals, despite missing practice Wednesday with a swollen left knee.
    Nicks returned to the practice field as a limited participant Thursday, running routes and catching passes while wearing a compression sleeve/wrap on his left leg.

"[Wednesday] was just taking a day off," Nicks said. "It was still a little swollen, a little puffy from the game like it always is after the game. This time it was just a little bit more puffy, so they wanted to sit me down for a day." Read more...

Vinny DiTrani's NFL Picks

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/17...NFL_picks.html

Excerpt: "Only a late field goal in Atlanta and a suddenly statuesque RGIII in Washington kept us from sweeping last week’s card. Favorites ruled the schedule, which was bad news for the boys in Vegas.

Now we need to stay on a roll in an uninspiring slate of games once again featuring just a handful of intriguing underdogs.

*Bengals over Giants, getting 4 — Luckily for the Giants, next week’s bye eliminates a November Sunday from their schedule." Read more...

SITE LINK

NEW YORK TIMES

SITE LINK

WALL STREET JOURNAL

SITE LINK

GIANTS.COM

Coach Coughlin Presser - 11/8/2012

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...e-cdf166a45f2f

"Q: Hakeem Nicks was able to practice today?
    A: Yes.

Q: Chris Snee is out again?
    A: Yes
    Q: How’s Snee looking? Any chance for playing Sunday?
    A: He gets a little better every day. We’ll have to see. It will be deep in the week before we know.

Q: How much did Hakeem do today?
    Q: He did a normal rotation, what we call limited. Half or less.

Q: Is the swelling in the knee down?
    A: Yes, it was down today.

Q: How did he look moving around out there?
    A: He looked okay.

Q: Do you think Hakeem has been more limited physically by the ailments or the rust of missing time?
    A: I wouldn’t speculate on that. He’s trying as hard as he can.

Q: Did Michael Coe suffer an injury?
    A: He had a hamstring.

Q: Will he be able to practice tomorrow?
    A: I don’t know. We’ll see.

Q: If Snee can’t play, would Diehl move to guard?
    A: There’s a couple of options there. We’ve (tried) a couple combinations in there.

Q: Is Will Hill going to be ready to go?
    A: Conditioning-wise, looks like he’s in pretty good shape. He’s taking a lot of reps: scout team, that kind of thing.

Q: What was Chase Blackburn able to do in practice today?
    A: He did quite a bit, did quite a bit.

Q: What about the mental part of it with Hill, missing all that classroom time?
    A: He’s going to have to pick up on a bunch of stuff. He seems to be okay with that. I don’t see any issues. I’m sure on tape there’s some things to correct, but he’s done pretty well.

Q: How much of Pittsburgh’s success in the running game was because of a new middle linebacker?
    A: It wasn’t any one thing. It was a combination of things, just like it always is.

Q: How difficult is A.J. Green to deal with?

A: Very good, very good player, capable of big plays.

Q: He accounts for a lot of their touchdowns…
    A: He seems to be on the other end of a lot of them, yes.

Q: A.J. Green said today that he saw some big holes in your defense; what contributes to some of those big plays?
    A: You can’t make a generalization, you have to look at the individual play and then you can comment on it. The one the other day, we actually had four guys that should’ve had the (runner) in a circle, but he came roaring out of there and nobody seemed to move fast enough to be in position to cut him off. There is a different reason for everything.

Q: Do you like the way David Wilson goes about his business every day?
    A: I like his energy. I like the enthusiasm he brings to it. His experience factor is going to take time, just like it does for all rookies. I like the enthusiasm

Q: You have mentioned the importance of practice, how has it looked the last few days?
    A: It’s been pretty good. I think it’s been good, energetic work. Guys are working hard, focused. Our final drills are just as energetic as the early ones. I’m pleased with that part.

Q: With Keith Rivers, and all the injuries he has endured, is there such a thing as an injury-prone player?
    A: I hope not. He’s had some issues with his legs, that’s for sure; hamstrings, calf, whatever.

Q: Will he be good to go this week?
    A: We’re going to have to see. If you’re a member of the dressed squad, you have to do a lot of things. His issue is special teams; he has to play special teams, etc. He has a lot of things he would have to do. If he’s capable of doing that, he’d be a strong consideration.

Q: You would think if there was one game he could get back for, it would be against his former team. Do you sense any of that from him?
    A: No, I haven’t. He keeps things to himself, he’s kind of one of those, which is nothing wrong with that.

Q: Jacquian Williams likely to return after the bye?

A: Probably, yeah.

Q: Did Chris Canty practice today?
    A: Yes, he did.

Q: How’d he look?
    A: He did well.

Kevin Gilbride Looks For Improvement

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...f-3752653d68f4

"Kevin Gilbride was smiling, cordial and helpful during his meeting with reporters today, just as he is every week. But the Giants’ offensive coordinator is not a happy camper.

Not after the way his unit performed in the last two games, a victory in Dallas and a loss at home to Pittsburgh. Put it this way: the Giants’ defense scored as many touchdowns as the offense – two – in those games. The offense crossed the goal line only on a pair of Andre Brown one-yard touchdown runs.

Add to that some other numbers very uncharacteristic of Gilbride’s offense – 24 total first downs (three by penalty) in those games, 182 yards gained last week, no touchdown passes in the last eight quarters – and it’s easy to see why Gilbride is a little uneasy as the 6-3 Giants prepare to take on the 3-5 Bengals in Cincinnati.

“It wasn’t something we expected to happen,” Gilbride said. “We certainly appreciate the ability level of the two defenses we’ve played, but we thought and expected to perform a lot better than we did. Was it jarring? Yeah, it was. There’s no question about it. I think we had some opportunities last week where we thought we were there, and we weren’t quite skilled enough to take advantage of.

“The good thing is, we have guys that are continuing to work hard. They’re very, very proud. They’re used to being successful so they’re responding the right way. We expect to come out and play well this week.”

Gilbride characteristically avoided detailed specifics, particularly regarding individual player performances, when discussing why the offense hasn’t played as well as it did earlier in the season. Two weeks ago, the unit was ranked second in the NFL. Today, it is 10th.

“It is a couple of things that we need to do better, there’s no question about it,” Gilbride said. “We’ve had chances. We caught them a couple times in quarters coverage last week, and we got two interference calls, but didn’t complete it, which should’ve been huge plays for us. They were still 50-yard movements, but they were potential touchdowns, and we missed two of them. A couple of middle reads that guys should’ve been clearing out, but they were settling down and there was interference with the other guy coming in. It was a combination of a lot of different things. One play it was this, one play it was that. They’re things that we should hopefully get corrected, that shouldn’t have happened. When you have chances for big plays, and we were fortunate to have those chances last week, you have to make them.”

In the 24-20 loss to Pittsburgh, the Giants had only two plays longer than 20 yards – Eli Manning passes of 26 yards to Victor Cruz and 33 yards to Martellus Bennett .

Manning completed just 10 of 25 passes for 125 yards. His passer rating of 41.1 was his lowest in almost five years.

But Gilbride is not laying blame on his quarterback, nor would he characterize Manning’s recent play as a slump.

“Everybody dips a little bit here and there,” Gilbride said. “Usually what you do to help resolve it is go back to the things that are at your core. This is what we know we can hang our hat on, everybody knows it well. We should eliminate any of those mistakes that were made doing some of the things that maybe you designed specifically to beat a particular opponent, which is why we’ve used the pass so proficiently in two-minute. It’s your base offense, that’s what we’ve always relied on. That’s an easy solution, and then you just make sure that all the things that you usually focus on, you make sure that you haven’t overlooked anything; fundamentals, technique, what have you.

“I know this isn’t the exciting answer, but everybody has to play well for him to play well. The line has to protect well, the receivers have to get open. Then, it’s a combination. He gets way too much credit when things go well; he gets way too much blame when things don’t go well because that position only performs as well as the guys around them. It’s not just him, it’s all of us, trust me. We all have to do a better job.”

Gilbride is frequently asked why he doesn’t use the no-huddle package more often, since Manning and the Giants are usually successful when they run it. Asked today if he’s considered it as a way to jump-start the offense, he said, “Absolutely.”

But that doesn’t mean he will.

“You don’t want me to tip my hand, now do you?” he said. “It’s something you always talk about because it has been something good. Sunday, when we got the ball back with four minutes to go, and we didn’t do anything, we were in that two-minute mode. It doesn’t always work, but it has been something that we have been very good at and hopefully we’re going to recover and get back to that.”

Gilbride has been on the Giants’ staff during Tom Coughlin’s entire nine-year tenure as head coach. He has been the offensive coordinator since late in the 2006 season. This is the fifth time he’s been an NFL coordinator, so Gilbride has experience leading an offense out of the valleys they inevitably find during a season.

“Of course, it falls on my shoulders,” he said. “We need to make sure we get those guys in position, that we’re asking them to do things where they can be successful. That’s obviously what we’re scrutinizing very carefully to make sure that the things that we’re doing, we’re not asking guys to do something mentally or physically that they aren’t capable of doing.

“We’re working at it. As you know, it’s a continual process. You’re tweaking here, tweaking there and hope that you get some things that were not performed at a high enough level, corrected. You look forward, we all are, to playing better this week than we did last week.”
    Giants vs. Steelers: Week Nine Game Analysis

http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/08/...game-analysis/

Excerpt: "The New York Giants showed signs of their annual November collapse this past weekend against thePittsburgh Steelers. Big Blue squandered a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, allowed Isaac Redman to rush for 146 yards, and failed get a first down in the fourth quarter. Eli Manning is now 13-17 in the month of November and played perhaps his worst game of the season as the Giants amassed just over 180 yards of total offense. Big Blue was fortunate that every other NFC East team lost in Week nine, but the Giants must play better football if they want to get back on track on the road in Cincinnati.

Key to Defeat:

Eli Manning
    and the offense were unable to get into any rhythm. The Giants were two for 10 on third-down and only mustered up three plays of 12-yards or more. The rushing attack gained just 68 yards on 22 attempts and Tom Coughlin still refused to give David Wilson the football. Victor Cruz was bottled up for the majority of the game and Hakeem Nicks was nowhere to be found.

In short, Sunday was an ugly offensive showing for Big Blue. The defense wasn't stellar, but it gave Eli and Co. and a chance to win the game with under four minutes left. Instead of driving down the field in typical Giants fashion, the offense went three-and-out on their final possession.
    Game Positives:
    • The Giants sacked Ben Roethlisberger four times. The pass rush overwhelmed the Steelers offensive line and was the only reason the Giants were able to stay in this game. Osi Umenyiora's strip of Big Ben in the second quarter resulted in this unit's second defensive touchdown in as many weeks. The Giants will win several more football games if they keep generating turnovers and scoring on defense.
    • Giants' punter Steve Weatherford averaged 47.4 yards per punt, with a long of 55-yards. The Giants punt coverage was sloppy, but Weatherford's kicks were impressive to say the least." Read more...

Giants vs. Bengals Scouting Report

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs...f-af8e4b737949

The Giants will have to pay special attention to the Bengals WR AJ Green on Sunday

Two teams looking to rebound from disappointing losses will meet Sunday when the Giants face the Cincinnati Bengals in Paul Brown Stadium. The Giants are 6-3 after a 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers that ended their four-game winning streak. Cincinnati suffered its fourth consecutive defeat, 31-23 to Denver, and fell to 3-5. The Giants are 0-5 in Cincinnati, with losses in 1972, 77, 85, 91 and 2004. The last defeat in the streak was by a 23-22 score on Dec. 26, 2004. The teams last met on Sept. 21, 2008, when the Giants earned a 26-23 overtime victory. The Giants also defeated the Bengals at home on Oct. 26, 1997 (29-27) and Dec. 11, 1994 (27-20).

Offense

The Bengals are ranked 17
    th in the NFL in total offense with an average of 355.5 yards a game. They are 26th in rushing yards (95.9) and 11th in passing (259.6). Cincinnati’s 23.6 points per game are tied for 14th in the league. The Bengals averaged 28 points a game in their 3-1 start and only 19 in their losing streak. Last week, the Giants faced a Steelers team that was first in the NFL in third-down conversion percentage. The Bengals are 31st, converting only 29.4 percent of their opportunities (30 of 102). They have a minus-five turnover differential.

This is the second season Cincinnati is running a West Coast offense coordinated by Jay Gruden. They lost five key players from last year’s offensive team, including running back Cedric Benson (now with Green Bay) and wide receiver Jerome Simpson (Minnesota).

Second-year quarterback Andy Dalton is still learning the nuances of the pro passing game. A rookie Pro Bowler in 2011, Dalton has thrown 11 interceptions, including at least one in each game. Cincinnati’s opponents have converted seven of those picks into touchdowns. The young passer does have excellent delivery quickness and his accuracy increases the faster he gets the ball out of his hands. Dalton can also extend plays with his feet. His backup is seven-year pro Bruce Gradkowski.

The Bengals have not had a back rush for 100 yards this season. Former New England Patriot BenJarvus Green-Ellis plays every running back snap but those on third down. He leads the team with 618 rushing yards, including 91 in the opener vs. Baltimore. Green-Ellis runs decisively with good instincts, vision and patience. But after earning a reputation as a player who never coughs up the ball, he has lost two of three fumbles. Former fullback Brian Leonard is the third-down back. He has 10 rushing attempts, seven catches and is solid in pass protection. Cedric Peerman has Cincinnati’s longest run this season – a 48-yarder on a fake punt.

Fullback Chris Pressley is a competitive blocker who locates his targets and gets in good position.

Wide receiver A.J. Green is the best player on the team, a top five wideout who might be the best player at his position the Giants have faced this season. He is tied for the NFL lead with eight touchdown catches – he’s caught at least one in seven consecutive games - is seventh with 51 catches and fourth with 735 yards. Green has a lean build, consistently wins on jump balls and is an explosive playmaker. Brandon Tate, another former Patriot, is the No. 2 receiver. He is a long-armed wideout with good vertical speed and run-after-catch production. Armon Binns has been bothered by an ankle injury. When healthy, he is a good short and intermediate possession receiver. Andrew Hawkins is just 5-7, but he is a quick, dynamic slot receiver who can turn short passes into long gains. Ryan Whalen has been getting some snaps and Mohamed Sanu, a rookie third-round draft choice, has been playing more. He is a good size-speed receiver. Marvin Jones has also contributed.

Tight end Jermaine Gresham seldom leaves the field and is second to Green in number of times targeted and receptions (34, including two touchdowns). One of the NFL’s better tight ends, he has good straight-line speed and is physical at the break point. Orson Charles has been a competitive blocker when given playing time.

Cincinnati has a big, strong and powerful offensive line. Left tackle Andrew Whitworth, a guard early in his career, has a huge wingspan and a strong upper body. He is tough to run around. On the right side is Andre Smith, the sixth overall selection in the 2009 draft. He has a massive, heavy body (335 pounds) and overwhelms people in the run game. Both starting guards are new to the Bengals this year. Left guard Clint Boling uses his hands well and is a tough, productive young player. Right guard Kevin Zeitler was a first-round draft choice this season and is already the best player on the line. He is a mauler who plays with a strong base and leverage. The player the Bengals would like to start at center, Kyle Cook, is on injured reserve with an ankle injury but has been designated for return. Stepping in for him is veteran Jeff Faine, who has started all but one of the 127 games in which he’s played. Faine is a savvy blocker in both run and pass. Both Faine and his backup, Trevor Robinson, have hamstring injuries. In Wednesday’s practice, Boling worked at center and Dennis Roland, a former starter at right tackle who is almost 6-10, played left guard. Roland is normally an extra tight end in the ground game.

Defense

Cincinnati’s defense is ranked 20
    th in the NFL, allowing 357.4 yards a game. The Bengals are 17th
    against the run (117.0) and 19th vs. the pass (240.4). Cincinnati has allowed an average of 27.3 points a game, leaving it 25th in the league. The Bengals’ red zone defense is ranked 30th in the NFL after giving up 16 touchdowns in 24 opportunities (66.7 percent) inside its 20-yard line.

Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer does an excellent job tailoring his game plan to the Bengals’ opponent. Cincinnati is constantly switching its schemes and packages. Because of that, some players will get extensive time on the field one week, then stay tethered to the sideline in the next game.

A disruptive front that attacks opponents with size and length and excels at pressuring quarterbacks is the strength of the defense. Cincinnati has the league’s second-highest sack percentage; 8.7 percent of opposition pass attempts have resulted in sacks.

Tackle Geno Atkins is arguably the NFLs’ finest best interior pass rusher. A 2011 Pro Bowler, Atkins leads all defensive tackles, and the Bengals, with 7.0 sacks. A player who is constantly attacking, he has size, speed and a hot motor. Next to him inside is Domata Peko, a six-year starter who is a strong player against the run because of his natural leverage. He is a thick, wide-bodied player who leaves the field on third down. Left end Robert Geathers has long arms, locates the ball and patrols the edge. On the right side, Michael Johnson has 6.0 sacks and is another big, long, persistent player. Carlos Dunlap contributes as a pass rusher in the nickel. Wallace Gilberry, who was with Tampa Bay earlier this season, Devon Still and Brandon Thompson have all gotten snaps. Another tackle, Pat Sims, is on the physically unable to perform list but can be activated at any time.

Middle linebacker Rey Maualuga is an every-snap player who leads the Bengals with 81 tackles (50 unassisted). He has good lateral quickness and strength vs. the run. The other two backer positions have interesting stories. Thomas Howard, who started the season as the weakside backer, tore his ACL in the season opener. Now getting most of the playing time there is Vontaze Burfict, a rookie free agent who has started the last six games and is second to Maualuga with 70 tackles (36 solo). A middle linebacker at Arizona State, Burfict is rarely off the field. Until 5 p.m. last Friday, Emmanuel Lamur was on the Bengals’ practice squad. Then he was signed to the active roster and two days later played about 15 snaps on the strong side vs. Denver. Another undrafted rookie, Lamur is a lanky linebacker who quickly demonstrated a knack for making plays. Lamur shares time with seven-year veteran Manny Lawson, a first-and-second down player who leaves the field on third down. Vincent Rey is a reserve who is good in pass coverage and on special teams.

The Bengals have had a lot of movement in their secondary. Seven of the 11 defensive backs, including all five corners, are former first-round draft choices. Leon Hall has started six games at right corner. An athletic player with good cover skills, he leads the team with seven passes defensed. Former Cowboy and two-time Pro Bowler Terence Newman opened the season as the nickel back but has started the last five games at left corner. He is a savvy veteran with movement skills and two interceptions. Adam Jones also plays a lot as the third cornerback. He has excellent play speed and is very good at staying with receivers on deep routes. Nate Clements began the year as the left corner and later started four games at strong safety, but played in sub packages only vs. the Broncos. An edgy player vs. the run, he provides veteran leadership in the back of the defense. Last week, 2012 top draft choice Dre Kirkpatrick, a very aggressive corner, played for the first time this season. The free safety is Reggie Nelson, who has outstanding straight line speed and is a good blitzer. But he missed practice Wednesday with a hamstring injury and his potential replacement, Taylor Mays – who started the first two games – has a knee injury. On Sept. 27, the Bengals re-signed 11-year veteran Chris Crocker, who previously spent more than four seasons with the team. The old man in the secondary, Crocker’s playing time has increased each week; he started last week and is expected to stay in the lineup going forward. Crocker leads the team with three interceptions. Taylor Mays, who started the first two games at strong safety, is now a reserve.

Special Teams

Kicker Mike Nugent has made 14-of-16 field goal attempts and 87 percent of his tries the last two seasons. Left-footed punter Kevin Huber is eighth in the NFL with a 41.6-yard net average. His gross average is 46.8 yards. Tate and Jones are averaging 11.5 yards while splitting the punt return duties and Tate has averaged 27.3 yards on 18 kickoff returns."
    GIANTS 101

Giants Hakeem Nicks Returns To Practice, Chris Snee, Ahmad Bradshaw Sit Out

http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/08/...dshaw-sit-out/

Excerpt: "
    After missing practice on Wednesday due to swelling in his knee, New YorkGiants wide receiver Hakeem Nicksreturned to the practice field on Thursday. He participated in a team walk-through and then ran routes in one-on-one drills, but his full level of participation will not be announced until later.

The news on offensive lineman Chris Snee was not nearly as positive, as he missed practice for the second consecutive day due to an ankle injury suffered in the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Head coach Tom Coughlin said on Wednesday that the injury was sustained early on in the game, and that Snee played through it." Read more...

Giants' Will Hill Thrilled To Be Back; Ready to Help on Defense and Special Teams

http://www.giants101.com/2012/11/08/...special-teams/

Excerpt: "
    With safety Kenny Phillips out on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, there is a strong chance the New York Giants will place Will Hill back on their 53-man roster so that he can be available to fill the void – not just on defense, but on special teams as well. And Hill, who missed the last four games after being suspended for the use of prescription drug Adderall, could not be more excited about his return.
    "I ran here. I was here at six o’clock. Meetings didn’t start till eight," Hill said on Wednesday. "[There's] nothing like being amongst your teammates and your coaches."

Watching at home was especially hard on Hill as the Pittsburgh Steelers dominated the Giants on Special Teams this past Sunday, particularly in coverage where the rookie had excelled earlier this season. It's an area where he feels he can immediately contribute upon return." Read more...

SITE LINK

BIG BLUE VIEW

Perry Fewell: Giants' Defense Has "Showed Lapses In Play"

http://www.bigblueview.com/2012/11/8...burgh-steelers

Excerpt: "Head coach Tom Coughlin said this week that the New York Giants' defense was "soft" at times in a loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green said Thursday that the Giants' defense had "a lot of holes."

What does Giants' defensive coordinator Perry Fewell think of his team, ranked well down the NFL list at 26th overall in terms of yards allowed per game?" Read more...

Spotlight on...Cincinnati Bengals' QB Andy Dalton

http://www.bigblueview.com/giants-vs...ck-andy-dalton

Excerpt: "When it comes to Andy Dalton, he may not have been one of the best quarterbacks going into the 2011 draft, but he's turned into one of the more under the radar quarterbacks in the NFL. One could argue he's not under the radar considering the success the Bengals had last year, but he's not one everyone talks about on a consistent basis. Where did Dalton come from?

After being redshirted his freshmen year at TCU, Dalton beat Marcus Jackson for the starting role. He took TCU to an 8-5 record that year, but only bigger things were coming after that. For the rest of his career there he went 34-3 as a starter. TCU went 11-2 in 2008, and had two perfect regular seasons in a row going 12-0 in 2009 and 13-0 in 2010. TCU finished the 2010 season No. 2 in the AP poll and defeated Wisconsin 21-19 in the Rose Bowl.

Dalton holds many offensive records at TCU including wins (42), passing yards (10,314), touchdown passes (71), completion percentage (61.6) and a single season record for touchdown passes (27). He has a single game record for completion percentage when he threw 91.3 percent of his passes against Baylor in 2010.

Dalton was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals in the second round, 35th pick overall, in 2011. After joining the team there was debate on who the starting quarterback would be for the Bengals. Former Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer had been traded after a rocky ending to his Bengals career, leaving the team to decide between Dalton and Bruce Gradkowski for the starting job. Before the first preseason, coach Marvin Lewis named Dalton the starter after revealing the depth chart.

Dalton had an impressive rookie season for the Bengals. He threw 3,398 yards, 20 touchdown passes, and had a completion percentage of 58.1. He joins a group that includes Cam Newton, Peyton Manning, and Dan Marino who were all rookies to throw for at least 3,000 yards and 20 touchdowns. He and rookie A.J. Green became quite a prolific quarterback/wide receiver duo which contributed to the success the Bengals had in 2011.

Dalton led the Bengals to a 9-7 record and went to the playoffs. However, they lost in the first round to the Houston Texans, 31-10." Read more...

SITE LINK

SPORTING NEWS

SITE LINK

GMENHQ

SITE LINK

YARDBARKER

SITE LINK

INSIDE FOOTBALL

Quinn "Ticked" Over Not-Sp Special Teams

http://insidefootball.com/blog/archives/5486

Excerpt: "Giants special teams coordinator Tom Quinn is generally a man of few words. But he had plenty to say about his unit’s performance last week against the Steelers.

“We’re (ticked) about that,” he said. “The defense bailed us out, take our hats off to them, but we have to do our job. We didn’t do our job, we weren’t physical enough, weren’t fast enough down the field and we didn’t get off any blocks.”

Actually Quinn’s sentiments about his unit began to sufaece even before the fiasco against the Steelers, as he noted that the unit started out strong, but that its consistency has slipped in recent weeks.

“We’ve been giving up one this game, two games later we give up one. We were more consistent last year. I think we have more tackles inside the 20 this year, but we don’t want to be giving up one every couple games or the stuff that we had last week. We have to be more consistent.” Read more...

SITE LINK

THE RED ZONE

SITE LINK

GIANTSFOOTBALLBLOG

SITE LINK

NFL.COM

Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin Will Prevent Another Giants' Swoon

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...r-giants-swoon

Excerpt: "As usual, I have nine strong takes on what's going on around the NFL in the latest edition of The Schein Nine.

1. They still might be Giants

"The Giants are paper champs." "Here comes another second-half swoon." "This team isn't going anywhere!"

Please stop talking. I'm getting a headache.

I know the New York Giants have set a precedent over the last few seasons of collapsing in the second half. I know their fans are nervous and the media elite is concerned about how the Giants ended the first half of this season with their worst performance of the year, blowing a double-digit lead in the fourth quarter at home against thePittsburgh Steelers. However, losing four games in a row last year didn't seem to bother the Giants en route to the Super Bowl. In fact, the players will tell you that the turning point was the Week 15 debacle against theWashington Redskins, after which they didn't lose again.

The Giants are 6-3. They are too well-coached, too battle-tested and have too much championship fiber and heart to collapse. It also doesn't hurt that the NFC East is the worst division in football. Folding up would be impossible for the Giants. They have Eli Manning. They have Tom Coughlin. That means they'll make the playoffs. And once they make it, their upside is to reach the Super Bowl -- and win.

Now, the Giants do have legitimate issues. Their passing attack hasn't had its usual sizzle in recent weeks; Sunday represented Manning's lowest passing-yardage total (125) in a single game in almost four years. Receiver Hakeem Nicks can't stay healthy, and when he's been on the field, he hasn't produced. The same goes for running back Ahmad Bradshaw. Offensive lineman David Diehl came back, but he looked like a recently injured player shaking off the rust.

However, I can't push the panic button based on what this group has accomplished. Victor Cruz has been dynamite this year, and while Manning has been in a minor slump, he's still elite, one of the five best quarterback in the game. I was stunned that the offense put up three three-and-outs in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh last Sunday. Considering Manning's knack for late-game dominance, I have to believe that was a one-time anomaly and won't become a second-half trend." Read more...
    SITE LINK

SI.COM

SITE

ESPN

Bringing Hill Back?

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...ging-hill-back

Excerpt: "The Giants have not yet made a decision on whether they will bring Will Hill onto the roster for Sunday’s game against Cincinnati, but the safety said he’s starting on the team’s special teams depth chart.

Hill, a rookie, served a four-game suspension for using Adderall and the team has until Monday to decide whether they want to bring him back. The team would have to make a move by Saturday to have him for Sunday, but they could wait until Monday and not make a move before the bye.

When asked about his status for Sunday Hill said “I’ll be out there playing.”

Hill, who the Giants signed as an undrafted free agent this offseason, became an important player for the Giants once Kenny Phillips went down with his sprained MCL against Philadelphia on Sept. 30. After playing just 18 defensive snaps in the first three games, Hill played a combined 70 against Philadelphia and the following week versus Cleveland. He served primarily as the nickel corner and played well.

While it seems like a virtual certainty the Giants will bring back Hill, they will have to choose someone on the roster for him to replace. Barring an injury move, which would open up a spot, players like cornerback Justin Tryon or defensive end Adewale Ojomo could potentially be casualties. The Giants currently have four safeties on their roster. " Read more...

W2W4: Giants vs. Bengals

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...nts-at-bengals

Excerpt: "One more game until the much-needed bye week.

Will the Giants be able to get their struggling offense going again or will they stumble against an AFC North opponent for the second straight week?

Here are five things to watch for on Sunday:

Get offensive: The Giants’ offensive struggles were on full display in Pittsburgh, where Eli Manning completed just one of five passes for a yard and was sacked twice in the fourth quarter as the Giants went three-and-out in their final three possessions against the Steelers.

Manning has to return to being the two-time Super Bowl MVP that he is. Manning has just one passing touchdown in his last 14 quarters. That has to change in order for the Giants to win on the road.

Cruz control:Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks have to get back to being the playmaking duo that they are. The Giants have to get Cruz going, especially on the shorter intermediate routes which should help with their woeful third-down conversion rate. In the last two games, the Giants are only 5-of-25 on third downs.

“Get the ball underneath and try to make some guys miss and gain some additional yardage after that,” Cruz said of what should help spark the offense. “Which is what I like to do anyway.”

A healthier Nicks will make a big difference. He likely will need the bye week to get closer to full strength." Read more...

Coordinator Notes: Gilbride, Fewell, Quinn

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...d-quinn.....KG

Excerpt: "Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and special teams coordinator Tom Quinn all met with the media Thursday. Here’s some of the highlights of what they had to say as the Giants prepare to face the Bengals on Sunday.

GILBRIDE

• The Giants offense has struggled in recent weeks, putting up back-to-back underwhelming efforts against the Cowboys and Steelers. The offensive coordinator acknowledged that not having wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and running back Ahmad Bradshaw healthy has affected the offense.

“You have, these are the plays you like, and you like them because your players perform them, and defensively, this is what they’re vulnerable at,” Gilbride said. “The problem is now, certain guys can’t do those things, even though you intellectually say, that’s the way the scheme (works) and they’re vulnerable. It’s good, but guess what, he can’t do it. Whether it’s through injury or a guy that does different things well, there’s no question that it impacts, no question about it.”

Eli Manning has come under fire recently for his play, as he has thrown just one touchdown in the past 14 quarters and has struggled in the past three games. Gilbride wanted to take some of the heat off his quarterback for the team’s stagnant offensive play.

“He gets way too much credit when things go well; he gets way too much blame when things don’t go well because that position only performs as well as the guys around them. It’s not just him, it’s all of us, trust me,” Gilbride said. “We all have to do a better job. Of course, it falls on my shoulders. We need to make sure we get those guys in position, that we’re asking them to do things where they can be successful.” Read more...

Outsiders: Bengals Could Give Giants Trouble

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...giants-trouble

Excerpt: "Football Outsiders takes up the burning question of whether the New York Giants are in for another second-half slide. In particular they examine the chances of the Cincinnati Bengals handing them a second loss in a row to the AFC North this Sunday. It's an Insider piece (which allows me to point out one of my favorite ironies, that the Outsiders are Insider), but here's a little sampling of why Aaron Schatz thinks the Bengals could give the Giants more trouble this week than you might think:
    Finding A.J. Green may be easier against the Giants. New York ranks just 19th in DVOA against No. 1 receivers. Corey Webster hasn't played as well as he has in years past, and the Giants have given up some big games to other tall, speedy receivers of Green's ilk, such as Vincent Jackson (128 yards) and Dez Bryant (195 yards in two games). " Read more...
    Giants' Nicks Says He Will Play Sunday vs. Bengals

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...innati-bengals

Excerpt: "Giants' wide receiver Hakeem Nicks (knee) said he will play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Nicks returned to practice Thursday and said the swelling in his knee is gone. He had missed Wednesday's practice and has battled knee and foot injuries all year.

"They say it's definitely getting better each week," Nicks said. "That's the one thing the coaches say, that they can tell I'm running a lot better each week versus when I first came back in the San (Francisco) game. Each week has definitely been better, so it's getting there."

It's been a rough year for Nicks both in terms of injuries and production. He broke his right foot in the offseason and had surgery that limited his practice time leading up to the team's opener against Dallas. He played in the first two games, including a 10-catch, 199-yard effort against Tampa Bay, but missed the following three games with foot issues and a swollen left knee.Nicks missed practice Wednesday and said he was just taking a day off, as his knee was a little more "puffy" than it was after a game. Nicks said he did not have a setback, but the team wanted him to elevate his knee and stay off it.He returned to practice on a limited basis Thursday and said everything is fine.

"I feel like I handle the foot a lot better than the knee, but it ain't nothing that I'm going to sit here making excuses about if I'm out there playing football," Nicks said. "I feel like men don't make no excuses, you deal with it. I'll be good, man, I'm all right."

Since he's returned, Nicks has yet to have a standout game like he did in Week 2 against Tampa Bay. In the past four games, he has just 13 catches for 153 yards and no touchdowns, including last weekend's effort against the Steelers when he had just one catch for 10 yards. In the first two games of the year, Nicks had totaled 14 catches for 237 yards and one touchdown." Read more...

Blackburn Says He Has A Chance To Play Sunday

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/gia...to-play-sunday

Excerpt: "Giants middle linebacker Chase Blackburn had a limited practiced Thursday and believes he has a realistic shot of playing Sunday. Blackburn is battling a hamstring injury that forced him to miss last week's loss to Pittsburgh.

"I don't think they'd have me practicing going into a bye week like this if there wasn't a realistic opportunity for me to play, knowing we have next week off," Blackburn said. "I feel like I'm practicing out there and continuing to progress and getting more snaps. I feel like I definitely have an opportunity to play."

Blackburn missed Wednesday's practice but did everything that was asked of him on Thursday. The team keyed in on third downs and he said he a good amount of reps and hopes to keep progressing through the week. He's hoping for no setbacks and to give it another go on Friday.

"I felt good out there," Blackburn said. "I didn't go out there and wasn't running cold and just trying to run 100 miles per hour, but I felt pretty good, confident. So hopefully we'll just continue the confidence and keep building it." Read more...

SITE LINK

NBCSPORTS

SITE LINK

CBSSPORTS

Giants' - Bengals' Game Will Be Blacked OUt

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nnati/related/

Excerpt: "With the combination of a good young team and an attractive schedule of home games, the Bengals decided not to take advantage of a new rule that allows teams to reduce their minimum percentage of non-premium ticket sales as low as 85.

With the good young team not playing very well, that attractive schedule of homes games gradually has gotten less attractive." Read more...

SITE LINK

FOXSPORTS

SITE LINK

YAHOOSPORTS

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLWEEKLY

No Change To Week 12 Schedule

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...ek-12-schedule

Excerpt: "The NFL announced Wednesday that there will be no changes to the Week 12 weekend slate or the Thanksgiving Day schedule.

The Sunday-night game will remain Giants vs. Packers. The two late-afternoon games on Sunday are Cardinals vs. Rams and Saints vs. 49ers." Read more...

SITE LINK

PROFOOTBALLFOCUS

SITE LINK

FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS

SITE LINK

MISCELLANEOUS
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 11-09-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    Q: How much did Hakeem do today?Q: He did a normal rotation, what we call limited. Half or less.Q: Is the swelling in the knee down?A: Yes, it was down today.Q: How did he look moving around out there?A: He looked okay.Q: Do you think Hakeem has been more limited physically by the ailments or the rust of missing time?A: I wouldn’t speculate on that. He’s trying as hard as he can.

Sit him.
    Last edited by Buddy333; 11-09-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Q: How much did Hakeem do today?Q: He did a normal rotation, what we call limited. Half or less.Q: Is the swelling in the knee down?A: Yes, it was down today.Q: How did he look moving around out there?A: He looked okay.Q: Do you think Hakeem has been more limited physically by the ailments or the rust of missing time?A: I wouldn’t speculate on that. He’s trying as hard as he can.

Sit him.
    Not according to Hakeem lol
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    I give him credit for trying to play. He is not the same Nicks we have come to know and if he is healthy they have a bigger problem. What's wrong? We may never know what's going on but I think his knee is a huge problem for him now. I think he was dealing with some pain in his foot. He had almost 200 yards receiving when it was just his foot. Since the knee problem came about he has not done much.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    I give him credit for trying to play. He is not the same Nicks we have come to know and if he is healthy they have a bigger problem. What's wrong? We may never know what's going on but I think his knee is a huge problem for him now. I think he was dealing with some pain in his foot. He had almost 200 yards receiving when it was just his foot. Since the knee problem came about he has not done much.
    Nicks' knee, Bradshaw's feet. I wish they'd rest them both, but I just don't see it unless Nicks' knee is swollen today.

# 80

today is the 9th.....lol

thanks Ro....
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    today is the 9th.....lol

thanks Ro....
    As you get older, you want to hold back time wherever you can lol

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    As you get older, you want to hold back time wherever you can lol
    thats OK....I had to check the calender to verify.....

age is a state of mind. Unless of course you are out of your mind then all bets are off......
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    thats OK....I had to check the calender to verify.....

age is a state of mind. Unless of course you are out of your mind then all bets are off......
    I may use that one lol

# 80

Starter
    Thanks RF!

Like what Rolle had to say in response to Coughlin. Seems like he is a great leader.

ALL-IN!