+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Gilbride: No Huddle May Be Cure For Offensive Woes

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...Nr9kY4oe3PHD6K

Excerpt: "One way Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride might resuscitate his slumping unit Sunday is by employing a no-huddle, two-minute offense.

Gilbride said when you’re trying to remedy a unit’s woes, you typically “go back to the things that are your core.” He then pointed out that historically the Giants’ offense has performed well in the no-huddle and revealed it’s “absolutely” under consideration to be used.

“You don’t want me to tip my hand now, do you?” Gilbride said.

The primary advantage of the no-huddle offense is utilizing a quicker tempo and perhaps allowing your offense to get into rhythm while also making it more difficult for the defense to sub players in and out.

Gilbride said last Sunday, when the Giants took over with 4:02 to go in the game, trailing the Steelers 24-20, they went to the two-minute offense — but they also went three-and-out, after two incompletions and a sack.

“Doesn’t always work,” Gilbride said. “But it has been something we’ve been very good at, and hopefully we’re going to recover and get back to that.”

The struggling Giants would like to get back to what they’ve been for the last year and a half, which has been a superb offensive outfit. Last year they averaged 24.6 points per game (ninth-best in the NFL), then upped it to 25.5 points in the playoffs. This year the Giants are averaging 28.2 points (sixth-best), highlighted by 41-point explosions versus both the Buccaneers and Browns and a 36-point performance against the Panthers.

But the last two weeks, the offense scored just 22 points against the Cowboys and 13 against the Steelers, averaging only 17.5 in the two-game spurt." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I think that the no-huddle wouldn't hurt but until they start making yardage on 1st & 2nd down no-huddle or huddle don't expect different results. I think we're gonna see a lot more of a three headed tandom at the RB position of Wilson & Brown + Bradshaw this Sunday. That's the 1st change I would make. Find out who's hot early & then feed the hot hand the ball. They have to get the running game on track & the passing attack will quickly turn around.

HALLELUJAH!!!!! The man has finally seen the light...........But I'll still only believe it when I see it!

Veteran
    I think it would help if for no other reason than to give more time at the LOS and not have the opposition knowing when the snap is coming. Far too often the play clock is winding down and they know that he is going to have to snap it in the next couple of seconds. I hate that.

No matter what offense you use, you can still have three and outs.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondring View Post
    No matter what offense you use, you can still have three and outs.
    So... what your saying is no changes should be made?
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue58 View Post
    HALLELUJAH!!!!! The man has finally seen the light...........But I'll still only believe it when I see it!
    It's easy for us to say "use the no huddle" when we don't catch the flack if it doesn't help. There are a couple of things about the no huddle that can cause it to backfire. First, obviously is personnel. It''s true the defense can't make substitution, but it's also true we will be limited to the plays OUR guys can execute. The second issue is Eli. He takes a lot of time to read defenses and make adjustments at the LOS. You take that ability away from him with the no huddle.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
    Last edited by FBomb; 11-09-2012 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's easy for us to say "use the no huddle" when we don't catch the flack if it doesn't help. There are a couple of things about the no huddle that can cause it to backfire. First, obviously is personnel. It''s true the defense can't make substitution, but it's also true we will be limited to the plays OUR guys can execute. The second issue is Eli. He takes a lot of time to read defenses and make adjustments at the LOS. You take that ability away from him with the no huddle.
    He can still read at the line, it's no huddle, not hurry up.