+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question WHAT IS A "MUST WIN" GAME?

Usually we think of a divisional game in Dec...right?
    Or is EVERY game... or NO game a "must win"??
    Maybe just an elimination game??

Or how about tomorrow? Win and we are 7-3 and with a bye to prep for a run for the playoffs. A loss... and questions and doubt and doom anger will prevail.

Is this a "must win" as any??

IMHO only games that push you out of contention for the playoffs or elimination from same are must win games. Tomorrows game is important to solidify our lead in the NFC East, to overcome generally bad play over the past couple of weeks and to head into the bye woth a win, but it is not a must win game.

a must win ( in the media , talking heads etc.) is when
    a loss would severely threaten or hinder a team's playoff prospects.

as for me , every win is a must win because otherwise i will be
    angry and disappointed and depressed as a Giants fan .
    there is also the inherent STIB factor...which can also be very painful ...ha-ha !!
    due to the fact that I am from the Woodstock generation ...
    my opinions may be chemically enhanced and influenced by severe episodes of memory loss

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsballgames View Post
    IMHO only games that push you out of contention for the playoffs or elimination from same are must win games. Tomorrows game is important to solidify our lead in the NFC East, to overcome generally bad play over the past couple of weeks and to head into the bye woth a win, but it is not a must win game.
    +1 THIS
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Definition of "Must Win Game" This game is their season on the line. There is no tomorrow......

If they were to lose to Cincy does the definition above fit? hmmmmmm........................

It varies...people were saying Philly week 3 was a must win. What the ****?

Quote Originally Posted by jakegibbs View Post
    Definition of "Must Win Game" This game is their season on the line. There is no tomorrow......

If they were to lose to Cincy does the definition above fit? hmmmmmm........................
    Last year they had a few must win games. 2nd Dallas game. Atl, GB, SF & Brady's Bunch. So far this year I'd say none. hmmmmm...

I think many of the must wins are just to live up to the hype of the game and the trash talk, and some of them are media bias generated, like Collinsgworth does during games. It is a must win for fan morale, if anything! if this game was right after the niners, or redskins , we would not be having this post! I do miss the days when the giants crushed oppenets when they won, instead of "just squeaking a win" out. we like domination. GO BIG BLUE!
    Last edited by tcseacliff; 11-10-2012 at 12:05 PM.

A "must-win" game is what it means. Lose and the season is over. Playoffs games are basically "must win" games as well.
    But, the "must win" is sometimes opinionated by some so that someone expecting a 16-0 season and nothing less can say every game is a "must win" in their own eyes.

I would put it in another way by saying "need to win" games. I think divisional games are "need to win" games because the divisonal record is the second tiebreaker (after head-to-head) for winning the division if the records are the same. Divisional games are also conference games by deafult, which is the second tiebreaker (after head-to-head, which may not be there) for getiing in to the playoffs and playoff seeding if some records are tied. The possibility of tied records at the end of the season is always there.

There are only 16 regular season games in an NFL season. ALL games are a "Must Win".