+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwanuk***

Bench Player

Kiwanuk***

Personally, he's one of my favorite players on the team. Always been a likable, team-first player, with a ton of talent.

My feeling right now is (and I'm by no means an expert) that we really could use him back at the DE position. Tuck is battered, Osi is out, Tolly is decent (like the guy, but best as a rotational player). As it is, JPP is our only productive DE.

We're terrible at LB - I don't think Kiwi is going to make or break that fact. So we might as well embrace the crappy LB corps and ensure we have a solid line with a pass-rush by plugging Kiwi back in there. I think we have a lot more to gain by having him in his natural position, than what we lose by moving him out of the LB spot.

Just curious how everyone else feels about this. Figured I'd make one of my first threads a partial attempt at changing the subject from gloom-and-doom to something less aggravating
    (hopefully, though the fact we have to plug LB holes with DE's is a little irritating to begin with).

Re: Kiwanuk***

I'm not sure exactly how many times he was at DE yesterday but I seen him there many times. Him, Tuck, Tollefson, JPP all get rotated. Kiwi was getting good pressure too but unfortunately not enough to get a sack.
    Odell Beckham Junior: The future of the Giants

I like him as a hybrid honestly but they don't play him as a 3 down LB'er so it feels like it's kind of waste having him at that position. I think Osi is traded before the draft this season and I think we could return Kiwi back to DE have a 4 man rotation with him, Tuck, JPP and Tolly. Of course that's IF we can get a decent LB to replace him. That seems to be a big IF, especially with the cap concern.

Bench Player

[quote user="egyptian420"]I'm not sure exactly how many times he was at DE yesterday but I seen him there many times. Him, Tuck, Tollefson, JPP all get rotated. Kiwi was getting good pressure too but unfortunately not enough to get a sack.
    [/quote]

I hadn't seen him there a whole ton. At least not yesterday, but there were plenty of other things I was watching/steaming over

I'd wager he'd be more productive when he's not switching in and out of position. I can't exactly wax poetic about the intricacies of the two positions, but I can't imagine it's easy for him swapping back and forth.

this idea would make more a lot more sense if they anyone who was worth a sheet to play LB in his place!

[quote user="JacksGiant76"]I like him as a hybrid honestly but they don't play him as a 3 down LB'er so it feels like it's kind of waste having him at that position. I think Osi is traded before the draft this season and I think we could return Kiwi back to DE have a 4 man rotation with him, Tuck, JPP and Tolly. Of course that's IF we can get a decent LB to replace him. That seems to be a big IF, especially with the cap concern.
    [/quote]
    Just put him back at DE and leave him there, already. He's never made an impact at LB. They've wasted what this guy has to offer for years trying to make room for 4 DEs. Trade Osi after this year and put Kiwi back at DE for the rest of his career. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they drafted a stud DE in the 1st round this year and traded Kiwi along with Osi. We need another DE who can play the run like JPP can and like Strahan used to.

Veteran

I feel really bad for Kiwi....the year the Giants won it all, he broke his leg.

I hope that one day, he gets to play undera good defensive coordinator that can utilize his many talents.

I bet he would do great in a 3-4 system.

See my sig, nuff said

I've always liked Kiwi, liked him as a rookie except for the Titan game! Kiwi does best as a DE in a 4-3 base system. Lets not start reinventing the wheel, OK. He should be kept as part of our base pack next year.